Author Topic: Wind has almost edged out coal for No. 2 position in Texas  (Read 830 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Wind has almost edged out coal for No. 2 position in Texas
« on: January 11, 2020, 01:56:41 pm »
Houston Chronicle by  L.M. Sixel Jan. 10, 2020

Wind energy generated 20 percent of the electricity used in Texas last year, nearly edging out coal as the state’s second leading source of power, according to new data from the state grid manager the Electric Reliability Council of Texas.

Coal-fired plants generated 20.3 percent of power in Texas last year, down from nearly 25 percent in 2018, according to ERCOT. Meanwhile, wind’s share of generation climbed from 18.5 percent in 2018.

Wind energy will likely overtake coal this year, reflecting a continued decline in coal-fired generation as natural gas prices stay low and more wind projects are in the pipeline, said Ed Hirs, an energy economist at the University of Houston. More batteries on the grid will also give wind power a boost, allowing generators to store the power for periods when wind isn’t blowing.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Wind-has-almost-edged-out-coal-for-No-2-position-14964501.php

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
Re: Wind has almost edged out coal for No. 2 position in Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 02:58:10 pm »
Trump is right again!
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 03:00:58 pm »
Did a trip through west Texas last spring for the fist time in decades.

Was disgusting what these awful wind turbine monstrosites have done to the landscape out there.

Now add, the bird killing machines that they are?   Don't get me started on this sh__. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 03:10:26 pm »
From article:
“Then we can see wind finish the job and push coal off the grid,” said Hirs.

Curious statement, sorta what a leftist would say.

This guy is supposedly an economics prof and says nothing about the relevant economics of wind vs coal.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 03:15:35 pm »
Did a trip through west Texas last spring for the fist time in decades.

Was disgusting what these awful wind turbine monstrosites have done to the landscape out there.

Now add, the bird killing machines that they are?   Don't get me started on this sh__.

I hear ya; I feel similarly about those foreboding, dystopian-looking rows of solar panels that are put in front of schools.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021