Author Topic: Abbott’s rejection of refugees incomprehensible [Editorial]  (Read 723 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle Jan. 10, 2020 

With at least 40 other governors already agreeing to allow refugees to settle in their states this year, Gov. Greg Abbott's decision Friday to bar them from Texas in 2020 is both shocking and incomprehensible.

In a letter to U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Abbott conflated concerns over illegal immigration with the pressing needs of refugees, who have a legal right to seek asylum in the United States. He told Pompeo that the “broken federal immigration system” means that Texas is already over-taxed with dealing with unwelcome migrants.

"In May 2019, for example, around 100,000 migrants were apprehended crossing this state's southern border," Abbott wrote. “In June 2019, individuals from 52 different countries were apprehended here. And in FY2018, the apprehensions included citizens from disparate countries like China, Iran, Kenya, Russia, and Tonga. Texas continues to have to deal with the consequences of an immigration system that Congress has failed to fix."

Instead of continuing that proud tradition, Abbott has cut it short — leaving men, women and children, coming from places where they fear for their lives, shut out of a state that might well have instead offered them shelter and a fresh start. His decision also deprives cities like Houston of the new residents who might have helped our city grow and prosper, as so many refugees in the past have.

That’s why leaders of all Texas' biggest cites — including Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin — had already provided their consent letters. Now, however, those agreements have been essentially vetoed by Abbott's decision to keep Texas out of the program.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/editorials/article/Abbott-s-rejection-of-refugees-incomprehensible-14966177.php

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Abbott’s rejection of refugees incomprehensible [Editorial]
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 02:30:41 pm »
Typical Chron job.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 02:36:38 pm »
Typical Chron job.

Absolutely!

I just posted it so people can see how warped the Chron can be.

I sure miss the Post. Growing up our family subscribed to both.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 02:47:18 pm »
Typical Chron job.

The Houston Chronicle is the largest daily paper owned and operated by the Hearst Corporation, a privately-held multinational corporate media conglomerate with $10 billion in revenues.

Do I need to say more?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 02:58:21 pm »
The Houston Chronicle is the largest daily paper owned and operated by the Hearst Corporation, a privately-held multinational corporate media conglomerate with $10 billion in revenues.

Do I need to say more?

Didn't have much use for the Comical after my parrot died.  Good paper stock for cage liner.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 03:05:16 pm »
As a large percentage of my posted Texas articles are cut from Chron, and I always post the source, feel free to not view any further down. Every source has a bias. One must see thru that to form their own opinions. Years ago one of my co-workers was an insomniac, shortwave radio buff. This was years before the internet. You could bring up any current topic with him and he would know what the differing views were from around the world.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 03:18:19 pm »
As a large percentage of my posted Texas articles are cut from Chron, and I always post the source, feel free to not view any further down. Every source has a bias. One must see thru that to form their own opinions. Years ago one of my co-workers was an insomniac, shortwave radio buff. This was years before the internet. You could bring up any current topic with him and he would know what the differing views were from around the world.

Sometimes the Chron actually delivers stories worth reading, but their Editorials are pretty bad.  That said, it's worth seeing what BS the other sides believe, so I read them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 03:22:06 pm »

Do I need to say more?

Very few conservative news sources left these days.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 11:14:02 pm »
Houston Chronicle Jan. 10, 2020 

With at least 40 other governors already agreeing to allow refugees to settle in their states this year, Gov. Greg Abbott's decision Friday to bar them from Texas in 2020 is both shocking and incomprehensible.

In a letter to U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Abbott conflated concerns over illegal immigration with the pressing needs of refugees, who have a legal right to seek asylum in the United States. He told Pompeo that the “broken federal immigration system” means that Texas is already over-taxed with dealing with unwelcome migrants.

"In May 2019, for example, around 100,000 migrants were apprehended crossing this state's southern border," Abbott wrote. “In June 2019, individuals from 52 different countries were apprehended here. And in FY2018, the apprehensions included citizens from disparate countries like China, Iran, Kenya, Russia, and Tonga. Texas continues to have to deal with the consequences of an immigration system that Congress has failed to fix."

Instead of continuing that proud tradition, Abbott has cut it short — leaving men, women and children, coming from places where they fear for their lives, shut out of a state that might well have instead offered them shelter and a fresh start. His decision also deprives cities like Houston of the new residents who might have helped our city grow and prosper, as so many refugees in the past have.

That’s why leaders of all Texas' biggest cites — including Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin — had already provided their consent letters. Now, however, those agreements have been essentially vetoed by Abbott's decision to keep Texas out of the program.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/editorials/article/Abbott-s-rejection-of-refugees-incomprehensible-14966177.php
I love that part.

Cities have no stroke compared to the state.

And we are definitely not a liberal state.

Watch others follow Abbott's lead.  It will also make the remaining refugee states nervous as they must bear the burden.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:15:26 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 11:17:49 pm »
Someone made a mistake and presented a sermon to the newspaper as opinion.
The Republic is lost.