Author Topic: Gov. Abbott says Texas won’t admit refugees, making it 1st state in nation to opt out of federal pro  (Read 433 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Lomi Kriel Jan. 10, 2020

Gov. Abbott says Texas won’t admit refugees, making it 1st state in nation to opt out of federal program

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott said Friday that Texas will no longer consent to resettling refugees, making it the only state so far to opt out of the federal program that for years has sent the most refugees in the country here.

The decision puts Abbott in the minority, even within his own party: 42 states, including 17 led by Republican governors, have agreed to continue resettling refugees as part of a new Trump administration requirement that state and local authorities opt into the federal program.

The new veto power is unprecedented in decades of U.S. resettlement and comes as the White House has slashed the number of refugees allowed into the country to a record low of 18,000 for 2020 — down from 30,000 in 2019 and an average of 102,000 annually during the program’s peak in the 1980s.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Gov-Abbott-says-Texas-won-t-admit-refugees-14966052.php

Offline Applewood

Way To Go, Governor!   :thumbsup:

Sadly, this won't happen in my stupid state comprised of a Democrat governor and a liberal Republican controlled legislature.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Thank you, Governor Abbott.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Texas, along with so many other States, is already flooded with so called 'refugees' coming from South America and around the world through Mexico. Given that America cannot deal with the number of illegals in the country now, it is utterly absurd to import more refugees deliberately. The only way this makes any sense is if the goal is to overwhelm and crash the public infrastructure of America, and to overwhelm and bankrupt American Social Services.

Importing thousands, or hundreds of thousands, or millions, of uneducated laborers keep wages low which makes Republicans happy. And it provides millions of illegal votes for Democrats which is essentially at this point the only thing that is keeping them in power. On the other hand, it is very injurious to Joe sixpack American citizens in a myriad of different ways. What is best for the American people is the very last thing either Party is concerned about (which is why they HATE Trump so much). What is best for themselves and their controllers/donors is their primary mission, always.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.