Author Topic: Oman's New Ruler Promises to Keep Good Ties With All Nations  (Read 476 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Oman's New Ruler Promises to Keep Good Ties With All Nations
« on: January 11, 2020, 12:38:33 pm »
The new Sultan was sworn in.

Oman's New Ruler Promises to Keep Good Ties With All Nations
Jan. 11, 2020, at 4:37 a.m.

FILE PHOTO - Oman's Culture and Heritage Minister Sayed Haitham bin Tariq Al Said is pictured during a trophy presentation at the end of the Arabian Gulf Cup final soccer match between Oman and Saudi Arabia in Muscat January 17, 2009. REUTERS/Tariq AlAli/File PhotoReuters

DUBAI (Reuters) - Oman's new ruler Sultan Haitham bin Tariq al-Said promised on Saturday to maintain the Gulf Arab state's foreign policy which he said was built on peaceful coexistence and maintaining friendly ties with all nations.

See article at: https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-01-11/omans-new-ruler-promises-to-keep-good-ties-with-all-nations

Meet the new Sultan, same as... well, the old Sultan seemed quite an amicable, open-minded guy actually. Seemed like a good man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qaboos_bin_Said_al_Said

Per wikipedia, the old Sultan did establish "freedom of religion" apparently.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 12:41:56 pm by TomSea »

Offline Absalom

Re: Oman's New Ruler Promises to Keep Good Ties With All Nations
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 07:31:47 pm »
Comment that the new Omani ruler is the same as the old is utter nonsense.
Beginning in the late 19th entury, Great Britain became a domant presence in the
Persian Gulf Nations of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman and the Emirates.
As a consequence, their Royal Families were exposed to western culture and as well
had most of their offspring educated at Canbridge, Oxford and so on.
This produced dynasties such as the al-Khalifa's of Bahrain who are effectively western.
In Bahrain, women drive, interrmarry, manage/supervise men, go to restaurants and drink;
behavior taken for granted in the west. Oman is similar while the Emirates are even more liberal.
I'm speaking from experience havng worked in those nations for more than 15 years.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 07:53:00 pm »
Comment that the new Omani ruler is the same as the old is utter nonsense.
Beginning in the late 19th entury, Great Britain became a domant presence in the
Persian Gulf Nations of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman and the Emirates.
As a consequence, their Royal Families were exposed to western culture and as well
had most of their offspring educated at Canbridge, Oxford and so on.
This produced dynasties such as the al-Khalifa's of Bahrain who are effectively western.
In Bahrain, women drive, interrmarry, manage/supervise men, go to restaurants and drink;
behavior taken for granted in the west. Oman is similar while the Emirates are even more liberal.
I'm speaking from experience havng worked in those nations for more than 15 years.

I don't think the new ruler is going to be steering a new path for Oman if that is what you mean, I think he's going to keep up the modern trend. So, when you say nonsense, you think the new ruler will be a strict Sharia law president? I disagree strongly. This is Qaboos' handpicked successor. I don't think he's going to change too much.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:58:46 pm by TomSea »

Offline Absalom

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 08:38:43 pm »
I don't think the new ruler is going to be steering a new path for Oman if that is what you mean, I think he's going to keep up the modern trend. So, when you say nonsense, you think the new ruler will be a strict Sharia law president? I disagree strongly. This is Qaboos' handpicked successor. I don't think he's going to change too much.
-------------------
Uninterested in any back and forth as my English was plain and simple.
Since Victoria's passing Oman has been a liberal cultural bastion in the
Middle East and will remain so under Tariq al-Said. End.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:49:58 pm by Absalom »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 09:38:53 pm »
-------------------
Uninterested in any back and forth as my English was plain and simple.
Since Victoria's passing Oman has been a liberal cultural bastion in the
Middle East and will remain so under Tariq al-Said. End.
Likely the most haughty comment I ever read on this forum.

Since you have no real need for true conversations, why don't you just join the lecture circuit instead?

And BTW I happened to travel several times to Oman and there is likely one big difference between the two monarchs:  The dead one like the young boys.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Absalom

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 10:58:23 pm »
Likely the most haughty comment I ever read on this forum.
Since you have no real need for true conversations, why don't you just join the lecture circuit instead?
And BTW I happened to travel several times to Oman and there is likely one big difference between the two monarchs:  The dead one like the young boys.
--------------------------
Obviously you're right at home w/haughty yip-yap.
Anyway, it's an opinion forum so your entitled; whatever it is???