Author Topic: Mixed messages? Iran launches missile attack, insists they don't want a war with the US  (Read 359 times)

rangerrebew

Mixed messages? Iran launches missile attack, insists they don't want a war with the US

Jan. 08, 2020 - 4:20 - Reaction from Fox News contributor Dan Hoffman, former CIA station chief.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6120597507001#sp=show-clips

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Trump's calculus appears to be to strike when U.S. personnel are harmed, or U.S. soil (i.e., the U.S embassy in Bagdhad) is attacked.   

He held his fire when the Iranians shot down a U.S. drone, and when their proxies attacked Saudi oil installations.   But he struck following the death of a U.S. contractor and our embassy being attacked.   This appears to be the dividing line for his base,  who want us to scale back our involvement in foreign wars,  but not to compromise our security or coddle those who harm our people.

The Iranians staged a careful tit for tat.   Significantly,  their response was launched from Iranian soil,  not by their proxies,  and targeted U.S. personnel in Iraq,  just as we killed theirs in Iraq.  But the attack was not against an American base, but rather Iraqi bases where Americans are housed.   And most significantly, for whatever reason, they appear to have missed and harmed no Americans.

So the stage is set for the U.S. to stand down, call their bluff and let them make any next move.   If and when U.S. personnel are harmed, or the U.S homeland attacked,  we will have the upper hand morally to take their assets out.   In the meantime,  Trump's bold act appears to have worked and the Iranians are carefully calibrating just what they can do going forward.  As for Trump's ultimate goal of bringing our troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan,  I think this all helps set the stage for that goal to be achieved.   
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 01:55:08 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Trump's calculus appears to be to strike when U.S. personnel are harmed, or U.S. soil (i.e., the U.S embassy in Bagdhad) is attacked.   

He held his fire when the Iranians shot down a U.S. drone, and when their proxies attacked Saudi oil installations.   But he struck following the death of a U.S. contractor and our embassy being attacked.   This appears to be the dividing line for his base,  who want us to scale back our involvement in foreign wars,  but not to compromise our security or coddle those who harm our people.

The Iranians staged a careful tit for tat.   Significantly,  their response was launched from Iranian soil,  not by their proxies,  and targeted U.S. personnel in Iraq,  just as we killed theirs in Iraq.  But the attack was not against an American base, but rather Iraqi bases where Americans are housed.   And most significantly, for whatever reason, they appear to have missed and harmed no Americans.

So the stage is set for the U.S. to stand down, call their bluff and let them make any next move.   If and when U.S. personnel are harmed, or the U.S homeland attacked,  we will have the upper hand morally to take their assets out.   In the meantime,  Trump's bold act appears to have worked and the Iranians are carefully calibrating just what they can do going forward.  As for Trump's ultimate goal of bringing our troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan,  I think this all helps set the stage for that goal to be achieved.   

@Jazzhead

I agree completely, and it looks like that's what Trump is doing.  But he's also calling for more economic sanctions against Tehran unless/until they stop exporting terror, and stop trying to acquire nuclear weapons.  Hard to argue with that.