Author Topic: A $1 Billion Solar Plant Was Obsolete Before It Ever Went Online  (Read 1131 times)

Offline thackney

A $1 Billion Solar Plant Was Obsolete Before It Ever Went Online
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-06/a-1-billion-solar-plant-was-obsolete-before-it-ever-went-online
January 6, 2020

The Crescent Dunes solar plant looks like ­something out of a sci-fi movie. Ten thousand mirrors form a spiral almost 2 miles wide that winds around a skyscraper rising above the desert between Las Vegas and Reno. The operation soaks up enough heat from the sun’s rays to spin steam turbines and store energy in the form of molten salt.

In 2011 the $1 billion project was to be the biggest solar plant of its kind, and it looked like the future of renewable power. Citigroup Inc. and other financiers invested $140 million with its developer, SolarReserve Inc. Steven Chu, the U.S. Department of Energy secretary at the time, offered the company government loan guarantees, and Harry Reid, then the Senate majority leader and senior senator from Nevada, cleared the way for the company to build on public land. At a Washington celebration of SolarReserve’s public funding, Chief Executive Officer Kevin Smith told the assembled politicians, “We’re proud to be doing our part to win the future.”

SolarReserve may have done its part, but today the company doesn’t rank among the winners. Instead, it’s mired in litigation and accusations of mismanagement at Crescent Dunes, where taxpayers remain on the hook for $737 million in loan guarantees. Late last year, Crescent Dunes lost its only customer, NV Energy Inc., which cited the plant’s lack of reliability. It’s a victim, ironically, of the solar industry’s success over the past decade. The steam generators at Crescent Dunes require custom parts and a staff of dozens to keep things humming and to conduct regular maintenance. By the time the plant opened in 2015, the increased efficiency of cheap solar panels had already surpassed its technology, and today it’s obsolete—the latest panels can pump out power at a fraction of the cost for decades with just an occasional hosing-down....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: A $1 Billion Solar Plant Was Obsolete Before It Ever Went Online
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 08:56:29 pm »
$135 per megawatt hour it charged.  No wonder it is obsolete.

I pay only 5 cents per kwhr at my home.

Why would anyone pay that exorbitant charge?

And now us taxpayers are on the hook for it.

Bet Harry Reid and his pals made a lot of money though.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 10:58:41 pm »
$135 per megawatt hour it charged.  No wonder it is obsolete.

I pay only 5 cents per kwhr at my home.

Why would anyone pay that exorbitant charge?

And now us taxpayers are on the hook for it.

Bet Harry Reid and his pals made a lot of money though.
Makes you wonder how much of that Billion got 'Solyndra-ed' into the DNC coffers and private pockets.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 11:14:57 pm »
Makes you wonder how much of that Billion got 'Solyndra-ed' into the DNC coffers and private pockets.

It will be shocking when mankind finally figures out how many Trillions of Dollars were wasted on this Clmate Change scam.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 01:56:45 am »
It will be shocking when mankind finally figures out how many Trillions of Dollars were wasted on this Clmate Change scam.
I'm sure they weren't all "wasted" so much as siphoned off. "Saving the Planet" is just another excuse for larceny writ large.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 02:33:56 pm »
Wow, far out, man.

Harry Reid, then the Senate majority leader and senior senator from Nevada, cleared the way for the company to build on public land.
Of course he did. One of the crookedest senators ever.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 03:30:57 pm »
Wow, far out, man.

Of course he did. One of the crookedest senators ever.
Were these the guys who were going to expand and that may have led to part of the Bundy Ranch incident? Or was that just some pay for play with the Chinese?

How long until the dune field in the foreground covers it up?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 03:32:35 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 06:33:47 pm »

How long until the dune field in the foreground covers it up?
that is a very good point but might be part of the lib plan to make it go away quietly.

Never underestimate them.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 10:19:37 pm »
Solyndra 2: Boondoggle Boogaloo

Lawrence Person's BattleSwarm Blog 1/7/2020

https://www.battleswarmblog.com/?p=43105

Remember Solyndra, the solar energy company with Democratic Party connections that sucked up some half a billion dollars worth of green energy loans before going belly up?

If you liked Solyndra, you’re gonna love the Crescent Dunes solar plant near Tonopah, Nevada. Thanks to the efforts of Obama energy secretary Steven Chu and then-majority leader Harry Reid, it sucked up $737 million in federal loan guarantees.

Tiny problem: It was obsolete before it ever came online:

Ten thousand mirrors form a spiral almost 2 miles wide that winds around a skyscraper rising above the desert between Las Vegas and Reno. The operation soaks up enough heat from the sun’s rays to spin steam turbines and store energy in the form of molten salt.

In 2011 the $1 billion project was to be the biggest solar plant of its kind, and it looked like the future of renewable power. Citigroup Inc. and other financiers invested $140 million with its developer, SolarReserve Inc. Steven Chu, the U.S. Department of Energy secretary at the time, offered the company government loan guarantees, and Harry Reid, then the Senate majority leader and senior senator from Nevada, cleared the way for the company to build on public land. At a Washington celebration of SolarReserve’s public funding, Chief Executive Officer Kevin Smith told the assembled politicians, “We’re proud to be doing our part to win the future.”

SolarReserve may have done its part, but today the company doesn’t rank among the winners. Instead, it’s mired in litigation and accusations of mismanagement at Crescent Dunes, where taxpayers remain on the hook for $737 million in loan guarantees. Late last year, Crescent Dunes lost its only customer, NV Energy Inc., which cited the plant’s lack of reliability. It’s a victim, ironically, of the solar industry’s success over the past decade. The steam generators at Crescent Dunes require custom parts and a staff of dozens to keep things humming and to conduct regular maintenance. By the time the plant opened in 2015, the increased efficiency of cheap solar panels had already surpassed its technology, and today it’s obsolete—the latest panels can pump out power at a fraction of the cost for decades with just an occasional hosing-down.

More at link.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 10:21:58 pm »
 9999hair out0000
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 11:18:36 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 10:35:20 pm »
I have a question. How many birds went down in flames?

C S Lewis

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 01:10:12 am »
I have a question. How many birds went down in flames?
Who knows?  That may be their proudest achievement.  If the plant rarely operated, they can claim few birds were killed.

That's the way the libs think.