Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 94810 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #1325 on: October 23, 2020, 02:58:19 pm »
I believe that it was Uri Geller that he really took off on.

That is correct.  I watched him show Johnny Carson how to bend a spoon enclosed in a glass cylinder.  I think that was who I was thinking of upthread...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #1326 on: October 23, 2020, 04:49:39 pm »
Uri got into the business of psychicly seeking oil deposits or such. Made money doing that.

Like Oil In a Madmans Face

How many legless reptilian partners did he have?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1327 on: October 24, 2020, 12:49:24 am »
Ahh man, another member of "Old Aid" gone (that was Spencer on the top left).

@dfwgator

He may be gone,but it is unlikely he will ever be forgotten.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #1328 on: October 24, 2020, 03:06:38 am »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #1329 on: October 24, 2020, 09:51:25 pm »
Jerry Jeff Walker, age 78:

Jerry back in his early days...

https://www.statesman.com/entertainment/20201024/jerry-jeff-walker-austin-country-music-legend-dies-at-78

Jerry Jeff Walker, who moved to Austin after becoming famous with the song “Mr. Bojangles” and helped change the Austin music landscape in the 1970s, died Friday evening after an extended battle with throat cancer. He was 78.

Walker’s wife of 46 years, Susan Walker, confirmed Saturday morning that Jerry Jeff died around 6 p.m. Friday at Dell Seton Medical Center at the University of Texas. “He was at home until an hour before his passing,” she said. “He went very peacefully, which we were extremely grateful for.”

Walker had been dealing with throat cancer for several years and had nearly died in 2017. He rallied to finish a new album and played more shows, but a downturn in his health more recently resulted in difficulties with speaking and eating.

Born Ronald Clyde Crosby on March 16, 1942, in Oneonta, N.Y., Walker wrote “Mr. Bojangles” in the mid-1960s after a night in a New Orleans jail where he met a man who “danced a lick across the cell.” Walker released the song as the title track of a 1968 solo album, shortly after he left the New York band Circus Maximus. In 1971, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band took “Mr. Bojangles” to No. 9 on the pop charts. More than 100 other artists also recorded the song, including Bob Dylan, Sammy Davis Jr., Nina Simone and Neil Diamond.

Also:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/jerry-jeff-walker-mr-bojangles-outlaw-country-dead-obituary-1080617/

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1330 on: October 24, 2020, 09:56:02 pm »
Jerry Jeff Walker, age 78:

Jerry back in his early days...
1080617/[/url]

Like to have a dime everytime back in the mid '70's when I was snookered, and singing along with "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother"
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1331 on: October 25, 2020, 07:56:50 am »
Like to have a dime everytime back in the mid '70's when I was snookered, and singing along with "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother"
Yeah you and me, both! R.I.P. Jerry Jeff!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1332 on: October 25, 2020, 06:32:34 pm »

@catfish1957

No kidding! It got to the point the rednecks would run for the parking lot at the first bar being played.

Mostly by "New Riders of the Purple Sage",who I have always thought did it the best.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1333 on: October 25, 2020, 07:29:49 pm »
A song that Jerry Jeff did, later made famous by Confederate Railroad:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline berdie

« Reply #1334 on: October 26, 2020, 07:57:39 pm »
Jerry Jeff's death hurts my heart. I loved the guy.

The song I requested for my retirement party was his version of Guy Clark's L.A. Freeway. It's pretty exuberant in parts and not as pensive as when Clark sings it.

If I can just get off of this LA Freeway without getting killed or caught.
Down the road in a cloud of smoke
To some land that I have bought.

And I did!!!

RIP JJ.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #1335 on: October 26, 2020, 09:08:14 pm »

You and me both.
Sad day.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1336 on: October 26, 2020, 10:05:39 pm »

LOL! That's right.  :beer:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1337 on: October 26, 2020, 10:12:38 pm »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #1338 on: October 28, 2020, 05:23:54 pm »
Billy Joe Shaver died....

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1339 on: October 28, 2020, 10:54:44 pm »
Lou Pallo, member of Les Paul Trio and 'man of a million chords,' dies at 86

Guitarist Lou Pallo, who anchored the Les Paul Trio for decades and was once described by Keith Richards as "the man of a million chords," died on Wednesday. He was 86.

A Haskell (NJ) resident, Pallo also was part of the unofficial "Jersey Guitar Mafia" that ruled New York-area recording sessions in the 1950s and 60s.

They got their name from the legendary Paul, who often staged late-night recording sessions in his home studio in Mahwah. Paul will tell people, "You couldn't do a session without calling one of those guys," including Bucky Pizzarelli, who died in April of COVID complications in his Saddle River home.

Other musicians called Pallo "the man of a million inversions" and marveled at his technique as a rhythm guitarist for Paul. But Pallo played dazzling lead lines as well, on both guitar and mandolin.

He never knew it, but Lou Pallo taught me to play "Begin the Beguine" on a guitar---when he rolled out his signature model Gibson Les Paul guitar, he played the number with a drumless trio. I picked a couple of his things up and then ended up figuring out my own version. And I love playing that song as much as I love playing my normal array of jazzy blues.

So grazie, signor Pallo, for that, too. I'm also proud to play your signature model guitar:

RIP.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 10:55:47 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #1340 on: October 29, 2020, 12:25:36 pm »
Lou Pallo, member of Les Paul Trio and 'man of a million chords,' dies at 86

Guitarist Lou Pallo, who anchored the Les Paul Trio for decades and was once described by Keith Richards as "the man of a million chords," died on Wednesday. He was 86.

A Haskell (NJ) resident, Pallo also was part of the unofficial "Jersey Guitar Mafia" that ruled New York-area recording sessions in the 1950s and 60s.

They got their name from the legendary Paul, who often staged late-night recording sessions in his home studio in Mahwah. Paul will tell people, "You couldn't do a session without calling one of those guys," including Bucky Pizzarelli, who died in April of COVID complications in his Saddle River home.

Other musicians called Pallo "the man of a million inversions" and marveled at his technique as a rhythm guitarist for Paul. But Pallo played dazzling lead lines as well, on both guitar and mandolin.

He never knew it, but Lou Pallo taught me to play "Begin the Beguine" on a guitar---when he rolled out his signature model Gibson Les Paul guitar, he played the number with a drumless trio. I picked a couple of his things up and then ended up figuring out my own version. And I love playing that song as much as I love playing my normal array of jazzy blues.

So grazie, signor Pallo, for that, too. I'm also proud to play your signature model guitar:

RIP.
Nice set up, with the front soap bar pick up, and the humbucker in the back.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1341 on: October 29, 2020, 04:00:34 pm »
Nice set up, with the front soap bar pick up, and the humbucker in the back.
@GrouchoTex
Pallo consulted with Gibson when the company wanted to make the model. The pickup array; the square-inlay fretboard a la the Les Paul Custom, were both his. So was building the guitar otherwise along the body weight and neck shape/thickness of the 1959 Les Paul Standard. He did reject Gibson's original idea for the model that they put his signature and not Les Paul's on the headstock. Pallo wouldn't let anything suggesting disrespect toward Paul to appear on the guitar. (They were friends and musical partners for three decades.) So he suggested and Gibson agreed that his signature, far smaller, should appear in the inlay at the twelfth fret.

Gibson produced the guitar in a limited run of 400 instruments in 2011. The run included a black pickup cover (at the neck) and frame (at the bridge), black volume and tone knobs, and a black toggle switch chip. I saw a subsequent interview with Lou Pallo in which he said he'd preferred the colours you see on my guitar. When I saw that, I got curious---I went to one of those sites where you can design your own guitar. I chose the Les Paul designers. Then, I did one with the same black top but the colours of the cover, frame, knobs, and chip you see on my instrument. I saw why Pallo preferred that---it looked so great, I made the changes on my guitar.

My guitar is also number 31 in the limited run. (Gibson painted the numbers on the back of the headstock.) I acquired it in 2016, five years after the guitar was manufactured---but to my absolute shock, the seller who put the instrument for sale on Reverb informed me it was new old stock: nobody had even touched the guitar for the six years it was in their store, other than to clean and maintain it. And for the kind of jazzy blues I play, this guitar is as good as it gets when you run both pickups together through a Fender amplifier with nothing in between but a volume pedal.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1342 on: October 29, 2020, 04:42:31 pm »
Billy Joe Shaver died....

Billy Joe Shaver, Seminal Outlaw-Country Songwriter, Dead at 81

Billy Joe Shaver, the outlaw-country music pioneer who wrote some of the genre’s greatest songs, died Wednesday in Waco, Texas, after suffering a stroke. He was 81. Connie Nelson, a friend of Shaver’s, confirmed his death to Rolling Stone.

Shaver’s hard-lived career classics included “Honky Tonk Heroes,” “Georgia on a Fast Train,” “Old Five and Dimers Like Me,” and “Live Forever.” He wrote nine out of the 10 songs on Waylon Jennings’ 1973 outlaw-country breakthrough Honky Tonk Heroes; Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, and Elvis Presley all recorded his songs; and in 2010, Willie Nelson called him “the greatest living songwriter.”

Excerpted, much more at the link: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/billy-joe-shaver-songwriter-dead-obituary-1082610/

Best line in the article:

That same year Shaver stopped into a Lorena, Texas, bar for a beer with his former wife Wanda, and ended up in an altercation with a patron. Shaver testified the man was rude to his wife and told Shaver to “shut the f*** up.” After the two went outside, witnesses testified Shaver asked the victim, “Where do you want it?” and then pointed a .22 pistol at his cheek and pulled the trigger. Shaver claimed self-defense and was acquitted. “I am very sorry about the incident,” Shaver said afterward. “Hopefully, things will work out where we become friends enough so that he gives me back my bullet.”

Billy Joe Shaver performs "Live Forever" at Farm Aid 1994:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Let it burn.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1343 on: October 29, 2020, 07:17:13 pm »
Leanza Cornett, Miss America who was crusading AIDS activist, dies at 49
Amy Argetsinger
17 mins ago
In 1992, Leanza Cornett was a part-time college student, a full-time singing mermaid at Walt Disney World in Orlando and an ambivalent contestant preparing for the Miss Florida pageant.

She was advised to find a cause, a signature issue to champion if she were crowned.

For the previous year, she had been volunteering with young AIDS patients. When she informed local pageant directors that she wanted public awareness of the disease as her issue, they winced and asked if she had a second choice.

She recalled telling them, “You know what, I don’t care. If this is not OK, this is not an organization I want to be a part of.”

Months later, Ms. Cornett was named Miss America 1993 — and turned her year-long reign into a crusade to bring attention to AIDS and promote safe sex.  ...

Ms. Cornett, 49, who went on to a career as a television host, died Oct. 28 at a hospital in Jacksonville, Fla., after suffering a serious head injury two weeks earlier in a fall at her home in that city, according to Elizabeth Tobin Kurtz, a longtime friend.  ...
WashPoo via MSN

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1344 on: October 29, 2020, 07:18:21 pm »
49 is so young....
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1345 on: October 29, 2020, 07:19:45 pm »
What a waste....  8888crybaby
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #1346 on: October 29, 2020, 07:49:32 pm »
Billy Joe Shaver, Seminal Outlaw-Country Songwriter, Dead at 81

Billy Joe Shaver, the outlaw-country music pioneer who wrote some of the genre’s greatest songs, died Wednesday in Waco, Texas, after suffering a stroke. He was 81. Connie Nelson, a friend of Shaver’s, confirmed his death to Rolling Stone.

Shaver’s hard-lived career classics included “Honky Tonk Heroes,” “Georgia on a Fast Train,” “Old Five and Dimers Like Me,” and “Live Forever.” He wrote nine out of the 10 songs on Waylon Jennings’ 1973 outlaw-country breakthrough Honky Tonk Heroes; Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, and Elvis Presley all recorded his songs; and in 2010, Willie Nelson called him “the greatest living songwriter.”

Excerpted, much more at the link: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/billy-joe-shaver-songwriter-dead-obituary-1082610/

Best line in the article:

Billy Joe Shaver performs "Live Forever" at Farm Aid 1994:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Thanks @Ghost Bear
"Live Forever" is one of my favorite songs.

Offline verga

« Reply #1347 on: October 29, 2020, 11:48:20 pm »
Leanza Cornett, Miss America who was crusading AIDS activist, dies at 49

That is a shame, very noble person.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1348 on: October 30, 2020, 12:52:43 pm »
Travis Roy, Who Inspired Others After Life-Altering Hockey Injury At BU, Dies At 45
October 29, 2020 at 6:59 pm

BOSTON (CBS) – Travis Roy, who was paralyzed during his first shift with the Boston University hockey team and went on to raise money for those living with spinal cord injuries, died Thursday.

Roy was paralyzed from the neck down Just 11 seconds into his freshman debut with the team at Walter Brown Arena on Oct. 20, 1995.

While the accident changed his life forever, Roy decided to focus his efforts on helping others with spinal cord injuries as an activist and spokesman. ...

Full story at WBZ, Boston
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1349 on: October 30, 2020, 12:55:45 pm »
Wow. He just inspired me. Rest In Peace sir. Bless you.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️