Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95478 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #1300 on: October 17, 2020, 06:04:23 pm »
Rhonda Fleming, film star of ‘40s and ‘50s, dies at 97

Actress Rhonda Fleming, the fiery redhead who appeared with Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Charlton Heston, Ronald Reagan and other film stars of the 1940s and 1950s, has died. She was 97.

Fleming’s assistant Carla Sapon told The New York Times that Fleming died Wednesday in Santa Monica, California.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2020/10/17/rhonda-fleming-film-star-40-s-and-50-s-dies-97/3693208001/

More info, including filmography:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhonda_Fleming

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1301 on: October 17, 2020, 06:12:15 pm »

Rhonda Fleming, the red-haired, green-eyed beauty who lit up the screen in such films as Spellbound, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, has died. She was 97.

Fleming, who also sparkled in Out of the Past (1947), the first of her many appearances in fabulous film noirs, died Wednesday, her secretary Carla Sapon announced.

Not too far removed from attending Beverly Hills High School, Fleming appeared as a nymphomaniac in a mental institution in Alfred Hitchcock’s Spellbound (1945), then followed up by playing George Brent's assistant, among those who reside in a creepy mansion, in Robert Siodmak's dark suspense thriller The Spiral Staircase (1945).  ...

Legend has it that a cinematographer, as an exercise, once tried to shoot her in a way that would make her look bad. No matter the angle or technique, he concluded, Fleming always came out picture-perfect.

Fleming was married to theater chain mogul Ted Mann (of Mann's Chinese Theatre fame) from 1978 until his death in January 2001, and together they were a philanthropic force in Southern California. ...

In 1991, she and Mann established the Rhonda Fleming Mann Clinic for Comprehensive Care at UCLA Medical Center, providing gynecologic and obstetric care to women, and they funded a resource center for women with cancer three years later. The couple also set up the Rhonda Fleming Mann Research Fellowship at the City of Hope.

"I'm not out to push me anymore," she told the Los Angeles Times in 1994. "These centers are in existence because, even though we had the best medical care, we had no psychological support. No one to turn to for the spiritual [support]. No environment that was pleasant to be in while she suffered so. There wasn't even a curtain in the examining room to hide personal things like your wig, or a prosthesis." ... The Hollywood Reporter
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1302 on: October 17, 2020, 06:43:15 pm »
Thanks @mountaineer   A much better obituary.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1303 on: October 17, 2020, 09:46:25 pm »
I was just hoping to find a photo.  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1304 on: October 18, 2020, 12:06:41 pm »
RIP Ms. Fleming
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1305 on: October 18, 2020, 01:23:41 pm »

That reminds me. Maybe I should post a pic of myself. If I die I might not get the chance to later.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1306 on: October 18, 2020, 05:04:16 pm »

Well, I'm glad you did.  I don't know how many people on this site know or knew who she was.  Miss Fleming was a very striking woman.  Did a lot of good work as an actress and in her later years in her charitable endeavors.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1309 on: October 20, 2020, 06:24:48 pm »
The hits just keep on coming . . . RIP Spencer Davis, heart failure/pneumonia in a California hospital at 81 . . .

https://www.tmz.com/2020/10/20/spencer-davis-group-dead-at-81/

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1310 on: October 20, 2020, 06:40:18 pm »
Oh wow!  Two of my favorite songs from way back when.

Rest in peace, Mr. Davis.

Offline verga

« Reply #1311 on: October 20, 2020, 07:02:21 pm »
The hits just keep on coming . . . RIP Spencer Davis, heart failure/pneumonia in a California hospital at 81 . . .
What a talent RIP
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online berdie

« Reply #1312 on: October 20, 2020, 07:27:27 pm »
I loved the band and am shocked he was 81!

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #1313 on: October 22, 2020, 06:17:02 pm »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/james-randi-magician-and-paranormal-debunker-dies-at-92/ar-BB1agOcj

James Randi, Magician and Paranormal Debunker, Dies at 92

James Randi, a famed magician known as "The Amazing Randi" and a scientific investigator who debunked sensational claims of paranormal and occult occurences — has died. He was 92.

The James Randi Foundation announced his passing in a tweet, saying he died of "age-related causes" on Tuesday.

Randi was remembered on Wednesday by magician Penn Jillette in a pair of tweets as an "inspiration, mentor and dear friend."
By age 60, Randi had retired from magic and was one of the co-founders of the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry, or CSI. The committee responded to a rise of interest in the paranormal in the '70s and promoted scientific inquiry and critical thinking in the investigation of extraordinary or controversial claims.

Among one of Randi's more famous instances as a debunker — a word he said he disliked in favor of "investigator" — was of the religious televangelist Peter Popoff, who became famous in the mid-'80s for televised healing sermons in which he seemed to know intimate details of random attendees. Randi discovered that Popoff was using an electronic transmitter to get information about his subjects broadcast to him by his wife behind the scenes, and he then exposed the preacher on "The Tonight Show."
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online dfwgator

« Reply #1314 on: October 22, 2020, 06:19:21 pm »

https://www.tmz.com/2020/10/20/spencer-davis-group-dead-at-81/

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Ahh man, another member of "Old Aid" gone (that was Spencer on the top left).

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1315 on: October 22, 2020, 06:55:49 pm »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/james-randi-magician-and-paranormal-debunker-dies-at-92/ar-BB1agOcj

@PeteS in CA

I can still remember how often the Amazing Randi entertained kids all around the New York metro area with his frequent gigs on Wonderama Sunday mornings, when Sonny Fox hosted the show. He was a kick.

RIP.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #1316 on: October 22, 2020, 07:28:25 pm »
More Rockers are dying than have ever died before. :(
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1317 on: October 22, 2020, 08:21:55 pm »
More Rockers are dying than have ever died before. :(
Yeah...but the rappers are next!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #1318 on: October 22, 2020, 10:57:28 pm »

Loved watching the videos of him debunking the con artists.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1319 on: October 22, 2020, 11:15:50 pm »
Loved watching the videos of him debunking the con artists.

Yes, James Randi was the essence of the expression "you can't con a con."  He knew all the tricks, like Skarne on Cards (Goggle Skarne.  He was great at teaching people how to catch cheaters at card games).  He was really good at the craft, and that made him a pro at deconstructing shams.  I think he made a major dent in The Amazing Kreskin.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1320 on: October 22, 2020, 11:20:29 pm »
@PeteS in CA

I can still remember how often the Amazing Randi entertained kids all around the New York metro area with his frequent gigs on Wonderama Sunday mornings, when Sonny Fox hosted the show. He was a kick.

RIP.

I vaguely recall him on this but I had seen him on Kreskin. 92 is a good long run. RIP, Sir.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1321 on: October 23, 2020, 12:31:39 am »

Hell just got a little more crowded.

He was of great value in discrediting charlatans, but toward the end of his life, he became increasingly bitter and hostile. No longer content on busting the faith healers and faux mystics, his militant atheism became unbearably obnoxious in the last couple decades of his life.

As for those who might criticize me for speaking ill of the dead... a twist on Pascal's wager: if he is right, he cannot hear my words against him (and because he is gay, he has no flesh and blood heirs to be offended), and if I am right, well, he is in Hell, so why should I apologize?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1322 on: October 23, 2020, 12:51:13 am »
@PeteS in CA

RIP.
The New York Times has a pretty good obit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/obituaries/james-randi-dead.html

Offline verga

« Reply #1323 on: October 23, 2020, 11:24:02 am »
Yes, James Randi was the essence of the expression "you can't con a con."  He knew all the tricks, like Skarne on Cards (Goggle Skarne.  He was great at teaching people how to catch cheaters at card games).  He was really good at the craft, and that made him a pro at deconstructing shams.  I think he made a major dent in The Amazing Kreskin.
I believe that it was Uri Geller that he really took off on.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1324 on: October 23, 2020, 01:05:58 pm »
I believe that it was Uri Geller that he really took off on.

Uri got into the business of psychicly seeking oil deposits or such. Made money doing that.

Like Oil In a Madmans Face

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley