Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95564 times)

Offline verga

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #1100 on: August 03, 2020, 03:02:28 pm »
i loved him in "Absence of Malice" That was the first thing I recall seeing him in. KInd of like Bruce Campbell, playing himself.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #1101 on: August 07, 2020, 11:49:11 pm »
Scowcroft, a national security adviser for two GOP presidents, dies at 95

https://justthenews.com/government/white-house/scowcroft-national-security-adviser-two-gop-presidents-dies

Retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Brent Scowcroft, a national security adviser for two Republican presidents, died Thursday. He was 95.

Scowcroft served under Presidents Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush. He died of natural causes at his home in Falls Church, Virginia, according to the Associated Press.

He was the only national security adviser to serve in two administrations. Ford appointed Scowcroft in 1975, after he retired from the Air Force. He served in the Bush administration from 1989 to 1993.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1102 on: August 08, 2020, 12:46:36 am »
I thought Scowcroft would have been long gone. He seemed ancient when I was a kid.
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1103 on: August 11, 2020, 04:49:53 pm »
Really liked him in The Firm.

But he played a bad guy.  Totally out of his character.

He was also in John Carpenter's The Thing.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1104 on: August 11, 2020, 11:16:37 pm »
Raymond Allen, actor on 'Sanford and Son' and 'Good Times,' dies at 91

Raymond Allen, the actor known for his roles as Uncle Woody on "Sanford and Son" and Ned the Wino on "Good Times," died on Monday after a battle with respiratory issues. He was 91.
Allen had been previously diagnosed with a bacterial infection in May, but tested negative for coronavirus. He had been treated at a health care facility in California since 2016 after struggling with pneumonia. He was found there unresponsive on Monday morning.

Along with playing Uncle Woody during the show's run from 1972 to 1977, he reprised the role for a spinoff series called "The Sanford Arms." He also worked on "The Love Boat," "The Jeffersons," "Wattstax," "What's Happening" and as Merle the Earl on "Starsky and Hutch." He stepped away from acting in 1985 due to medical issues.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/raymond-allen-actor-sanford-son-good-times-dies-91-n1236410

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1105 on: August 12, 2020, 12:09:59 am »
I thought Scowcroft would have been long gone. He seemed ancient when I was a kid.

Wow. 95. You’ve earned your rest sir.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1106 on: August 12, 2020, 01:30:40 pm »
Sumner Redstone, Tenacious Media Mogul, Dies at 97

Sumner Redstone, the hard-charging mogul who parlayed his father’s New England drive-in theater business into a media empire that now flows into virtually every avenue of entertainment, has died. He was 97.

Redstone was the controlling shareholder of the recently merged ViacomCBS, and previously CBS Corp. and Viacom, who made famous the mantra “content is king.”

His daughter and ViacomCBS chair Shari Redstone  said: “My father led an extraordinary life that not only shaped entertainment as we know it today, but created an incredible family legacy. Through it all, we shared a great love for one another and he was a wonderful father, grandfather and great-grandfather. I am so proud to be his daughter and I will miss him always.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sumner-redstone-dead-cbs-viacom-media-mogul-was-97-622455

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1107 on: August 16, 2020, 03:46:34 am »
Robert Trump, youngest of the Trump siblings, dies at 71.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/robert-trump-dead

He had been in the ICU the previous month, of an unspecified "serious" neurological condition (possibly a stroke).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1108 on: August 16, 2020, 01:05:47 pm »
Re posting this here,where I should have posted it to start with. Sorry about that.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Melvin Hill
August 12, 2020 (Age 81)
Macon, Georgia
Special Forces / MACV-SOG

Word has been received that Melvin 'Sleepy' Hill passed away on or about August 12th, 2020. Awaiting obituary or more details.

Melvin Hill was born March 26, 1939 in Brooklyn, New York and joined the Army in 1955. During his career he served with

18th Regimental Combat Team (Airborne)
Airborne School - HALO instructor,
Special Forces (joined in 1964)
MAV-SOG (Two tours)

After his retirement Mel worked at the US General Services Administration, Washington,D.C. for 14 years.

Melvin Hill served two tours in Vietnam. His first tour was in 1966 with MACV-SOG, Khe Sanh, RVN, Spike Team Oklahoma. He returned in 1970 to MACV-SOG, Command and Control North (CCN), Recon Company, Recon Team Florida.

Melvin was the team leader for the first MACV-SOG, High Altitude Low Opening (HALO), Combat Jump. He was awarded the Silver Star for that HALO jump (28 November 1970).

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 8, 1918 (amended by act of July 25, 1963), takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Sergeant First Class Melvin Hill, United States Army, for gallantry in action on 28 November 1970, while serving as Team Leader of a Combined Reconnaissance Team, Republic of Vietnam. At 0200 hours Sergeant Hill fearlessly led his team from the tail gate of a C-130 aircraft at an altitude of 17,000 feet on the first free fall into hostile territory in the history of the United States Army. This awesome free fall carried him through two cloud layers and light rain to penetrate deep in the enemy's rear area. The team landed in rugged terrain, but, due to the intensive training and rehearsal conducted by Sergeant Hill, sustained no injuries. Having cached their parachutes, the team moved through the high-threat area toward their target to accomplish their reconnaissance mission. During their five-day stay behind enemy lines, the team gathered sufficient hard intelligence to mark this mission a success. As a result of Sergeant Hill's training, motivation and fearless leadership, his team was able to accomplish a harrowing mission which testifies to his courage and moral fiber. Sergeant First Class Hill's conspicuous gallantry in action was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Army and reflects great credit upon himself and the military service.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1109 on: August 16, 2020, 01:26:42 pm »
Re posting this here,where I should have posted it to start with. Sorry about that.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Melvin Hill
August 12, 2020 (Age 81)
Macon, Georgia
Special Forces / MACV-SOG

Word has been received that Melvin 'Sleepy' Hill passed away on or about August 12th, 2020. Awaiting obituary or more details.

Melvin Hill was born March 26, 1939 in Brooklyn, New York and joined the Army in 1955. During his career he served with

18th Regimental Combat Team (Airborne)
Airborne School - HALO instructor,
Special Forces (joined in 1964)
MAV-SOG (Two tours)

After his retirement Mel worked at the US General Services Administration, Washington,D.C. for 14 years.

Melvin Hill served two tours in Vietnam. His first tour was in 1966 with MACV-SOG, Khe Sanh, RVN, Spike Team Oklahoma. He returned in 1970 to MACV-SOG, Command and Control North (CCN), Recon Company, Recon Team Florida.

Melvin was the team leader for the first MACV-SOG, High Altitude Low Opening (HALO), Combat Jump. He was awarded the Silver Star for that HALO jump (28 November 1970).

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 8, 1918 (amended by act of July 25, 1963), takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Sergeant First Class Melvin Hill, United States Army, for gallantry in action on 28 November 1970, while serving as Team Leader of a Combined Reconnaissance Team, Republic of Vietnam. At 0200 hours Sergeant Hill fearlessly led his team from the tail gate of a C-130 aircraft at an altitude of 17,000 feet on the first free fall into hostile territory in the history of the United States Army. This awesome free fall carried him through two cloud layers and light rain to penetrate deep in the enemy's rear area. The team landed in rugged terrain, but, due to the intensive training and rehearsal conducted by Sergeant Hill, sustained no injuries. Having cached their parachutes, the team moved through the high-threat area toward their target to accomplish their reconnaissance mission. During their five-day stay behind enemy lines, the team gathered sufficient hard intelligence to mark this mission a success. As a result of Sergeant Hill's training, motivation and fearless leadership, his team was able to accomplish a harrowing mission which testifies to his courage and moral fiber. Sergeant First Class Hill's conspicuous gallantry in action was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Army and reflects great credit upon himself and the military service.

I guess I missed Melvin but he sounds like one hell of a man!  May he rest in peace!  He surely earned that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1110 on: August 16, 2020, 02:53:02 pm »
I guess I missed Melvin but he sounds like one hell of a man!  May he rest in peace!  He surely earned that.

@Bigun

That he was!

I never worked directly with him,but I did know him,was impressed with both his knowledge and his attitude,and never heard ONE single negative word about him from anyone.

More than anything else,I was impressed by the friends he had that knew him very well.

SF NCO's are people who tend to be harsh critics of anyone who doesn't perform at a very high level. You either did the job at a high level,or you discovered yourself going somewhere else with no warning.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 03:07:26 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1111 on: August 16, 2020, 03:50:33 pm »
@Bigun

That he was!

I never worked directly with him,but I did know him,was impressed with both his knowledge and his attitude,and never heard ONE single negative word about him from anyone.

More than anything else,I was impressed by the friends he had that knew him very well.

SF NCO's are people who tend to be harsh critics of anyone who doesn't perform at a very high level. You either did the job at a high level,or you discovered yourself going somewhere else with no warning.

:patriot: 
RIP, Sir.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1112 on: August 17, 2020, 08:59:25 am »
@Bigun

That he was!

We are a fortunate nation indeed, that men of his caliber have been and still are on our side.  :patriot:
R.I.P., Indeed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #1113 on: August 17, 2020, 04:17:35 pm »
@Bigun

That he was!

RIP sir.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1114 on: August 18, 2020, 02:05:20 am »
https://www.gofundme.com/f/funeral-expenses-for-melvin-hill?utm_medium=email&utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=p_email%2B5102-48hr-donor-share

Ok,this is a fund-raiser poll to pay the expenses to pay the expenses related to getting SFC (Ret) Melvin Hill buried
at Arlington National Cemetary. His Silver Star qualifies him for burial there,but there are expenses involved in getting him there and for all the prep work and the associated expenses.

Last I heard they were just a few thousand away from the target amount,and any money over that goes to the families of Special Operations soldiers who die in combat for educational expenses.

@Cyber Liberty   Cyber,if you think this is over the line,feel free to delete it. No hard feelings.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1115 on: August 18, 2020, 01:45:58 pm »
https://www.gofundme.com/f/funeral-expenses-for-melvin-hill?utm_medium=email&utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=p_email%2B5102-48hr-donor-share

Ok,this is a fund-raiser poll to pay the expenses to pay the expenses related to getting SFC (Ret) Melvin Hill buried
at Arlington National Cemetary. His Silver Star qualifies him for burial there,but there are expenses involved in getting him there and for all the prep work and the associated expenses.

Last I heard they were just a few thousand away from the target amount,and any money over that goes to the families of Special Operations soldiers who die in combat for educational expenses.

@Cyber Liberty   Cyber,if you think this is over the line,feel free to delete it. No hard feelings.

Fine with me, @sneakypete!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1116 on: August 18, 2020, 01:59:23 pm »

I kicked in a few $$.  Can't think of a better place for it to go.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1117 on: August 19, 2020, 12:21:46 am »
Dale Hawerchuk
Hockey Hall of Famer dies at 57

Hawerchuk played 16 seasons in the National Hockey League from 1981 to 1997. The first nine years of his career were spent with the original Winnipeg Jets, who had drafted him first overall. In Winnipeg, he helped bring the small-market World Hockey Association transplant to respectability. In 1990, he was traded to the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for another future Hall of Famer, Phil Housley, as part of a package deal; with Buffalo, Hawerchuk continued to have modest success for the next five seasons before finishing his career with brief stops in St. Louis and Philadelphia. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2001, his second year of eligibility.

He spent most of his post-playing career coaching junior hockey before a stomach cancer diagnosis ended his coaching career last year. He died from a recurrence of the cancer August 18.

Obituary from USA Today

Wikipedia

Career stats

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1118 on: August 19, 2020, 12:26:20 am »
I kicked in a few $$.  Can't think of a better place for it to go.

@Bigun

Thank you!

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1119 on: August 29, 2020, 02:26:30 am »
Chadwick Boseman dies of cancer at 43

Ryan Pearson   |   7:13 pm PDT, Friday, August 28, 2020

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Actor Chadwick Boseman, who played Black icons Jackie Robinson and James Brown before finding fame as the regal Black Panther in the Marvel cinematic universe, died Friday of cancer, his representative said. He was 43.

Boseman died at his home in the Los Angeles area with his wife and family by his side, his publicist Nicki Fioravante told The Associated Press.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Black-Panther-star-Chadwick-Boseman-dies-of-15523475.php

Great actor.  I especially liked him in Draft Day as Vontae Mack.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1120 on: August 29, 2020, 03:57:46 am »
Chadwick Boseman dies of cancer at 43

Ryan Pearson   |   7:13 pm PDT, Friday, August 28, 2020

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Actor Chadwick Boseman, who played Black icons Jackie Robinson and James Brown before finding fame as the regal Black Panther in the Marvel cinematic universe, died Friday of cancer, his representative said. He was 43.

Boseman died at his home in the Los Angeles area with his wife and family by his side, his publicist Nicki Fioravante told The Associated Press.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Black-Panther-star-Chadwick-Boseman-dies-of-15523475.php

Great actor.  I especially liked him in Draft Day as Vontae Mack.

@Hoodat

43 is just too damn young to go.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1121 on: August 29, 2020, 04:09:10 am »
Cathy Smith
John Belushi's killer dies at 73

Smith had two brushes with near-infamy in her life. The Canadian began as a backing singer in various bands, including Gordon Lightfoot (whom she briefly dated) and The Band. Lightfoot dedicated her song "Sundown" to her, and she also claimed The Band's hit "The Weight" was also based on her. Neither song portrayed her in particularly flattering light, though Lightfoot was later more conciliatory.

A few years later, Smith had emerged as a drug dealer to the stars, among them the Rolling Stones, Hoyt Axton, Robin Williams and Robert De Niro. It was her encounter with John Belushi that made her the most infamous: at the Chateau Marmont on March 5, 1982, Smith administered an overdose of cocaine and heroin to Belushi, killing him. She served 15 months in jail on a no-contest plea bargain in 1986 and was deported to her native Canada, where she lived out her life quietly as a secretary.

Smith died August 18 of chronic lung failure.

Obituary from Deadline, via the New York Post

Wikipedia

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #1122 on: August 29, 2020, 11:36:02 am »

Smith made two errors, Belushi and DeNiro.

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1123 on: August 29, 2020, 12:46:30 pm »
@Hoodat

43 is just too damn young to go.

Agree. Shame. Seems from the obit he left a wife and children. RIP.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 12:47:32 pm by Gefn »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1124 on: August 29, 2020, 01:25:00 pm »
I hadn't seen Chadwick Boseman in any movies, but am saddened by his having to battle colon cancer for four years. Cancer stinks.

According to the Daily Mail: "Boseman is survived by his wife and a parent and had no children, his publicist said. He had kept his diagnosis and much of his personal life under wraps." More, plus photos.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org