Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95585 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #900 on: July 02, 2020, 07:01:34 pm »
Celebrated broadcaster Hugh Downs dies at 99

July 2, 2020 at 1:38 PM CDT - Updated July 2 at 1:52 PM

(Gray News) - Longtime television personality and newscaster Hugh Downs passed away Wednesday at the age of 99.

The New York Times and Washington Post both cite a statement from Downs’ family, saying he died at his home in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Downs’ career began in television’s infancy and included long running stints as hosts of “Today” and “20/20,” as well as more lighthearted programs such as game show “Concentration.”

https://www.ksla.com/2020/07/02/celebrated-broadcaster-hugh-downs-dies/
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #901 on: July 02, 2020, 07:05:12 pm »
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (3TV/CBS 5) – Emmy Award-winning broadcaster Hugh Downs has died at the age of 99, according to a statement from his family.

Surrounded by loved ones, he died at his Scottsdale home Wednesday evening. A spokeswoman for the family was clear that Downs did not have COVID-19.

Downs' broadcast career spanned more than 60 years, including work on "20/20," the "Today Show," "Concentration," and "Tonight Starring Jack Paar." ... More
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #902 on: July 02, 2020, 07:28:48 pm »
I really liked Hugh Downs.  He gave many. many people so much pleasure and I hope he now rests with the Angels.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #903 on: July 02, 2020, 08:07:57 pm »
I really liked Hugh Downs.  He gave many. many people so much pleasure and I hope he now rests with the Angels.
@Cyber Liberty
I liked the guy, too.

When I was a kid and he hosted Concentration, in 1963 a certain baseball legend played the game and made it to the show's "Challenge of Champions" . . .

(Beware the wobbly video . . . )

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Frankly, I'd still like to know what the hell involved 18,000+ crumbs and what the hell was a dropped gumdrop . . .

RIP.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 08:08:59 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #904 on: July 03, 2020, 02:03:46 am »
Hugh Downs was a pioneer and an institution.  I had forgotten he did the announcing for the Tonight Show with Jack Paar as host.  But I do remember Concentration.  In the old days, there were tons of game shows on tv and Concentration was one of my favorites.  Always seemed like the kind of guy you would want to live next door to or someone to have a beer with.   Never heard a bad thing about him.

Rest in peace, Mr. Downs.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #905 on: July 03, 2020, 03:13:32 pm »
Hugh Downs was a pioneer and an institution.  I had forgotten he did the announcing for the Tonight Show with Jack Paar as host.  But I do remember Concentration.  In the old days, there were tons of game shows on tv and Concentration was one of my favorites.  Always seemed like the kind of guy you would want to live next door to or someone to have a beer with.   Never heard a bad thing about him.

Rest in peace, Mr. Downs.
@Applewood
Among other things, Downs hosted The Today Show from 1962-71. His other credits included announcing for television's first successful dope (er, soap) opera (Hawkins Falls) in 1950 (it was the first TV soap to run five years and, among other things, starred radio legend Bernadine  Flynn [Vic & Sade]); and, before NBC first brought him to New York, the original Kukla, Fran, and Ollie children's show when the network picked it up from Chicago.

Hawkins Falls, NBC, 4 May 1953 (Hugh Downs announcing)

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 03:20:12 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #906 on: July 03, 2020, 03:47:46 pm »
@EasyAce

Thanks.  I don't remember Hawkins Falls, but soap operas were all over daytime tv when I was a kid.  Back then, mothers like mine in my neighborhood were homemakers -- seldom worked outside the home -- so they had these dramas on tv from about 10 am till 4:30 pm -- half hour long, one right after the other.  I would get home from school maybe 3 or 3:30, to see the last 2 or 3 sagas.  They made me laugh because, invariably, one character would end up in the hospital and it would take six weeks to find out if he or she survived or not (probably depended on the outcome of contract negotiations).  LOL

Now Kukla, Fran and Ollie -- I remember that show, but oddly, I don't remember Hugh Downs being on it.  Hey, I was a little mite at the time.  Today, I'm lucky if I remember my own name.  LOL

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #907 on: July 03, 2020, 04:34:42 pm »
@EasyAce

Thanks.  I don't remember Hawkins Falls, but soap operas were all over daytime tv when I was a kid.  Back then, mothers like mine in my neighborhood were homemakers -- seldom worked outside the home -- so they had these dramas on tv from about 10 am till 4:30 pm -- half hour long, one right after the other.  I would get home from school maybe 3 or 3:30, to see the last 2 or 3 sagas.  They made me laugh because, invariably, one character would end up in the hospital and it would take six weeks to find out if he or she survived or not (probably depended on the outcome of contract negotiations).  LOL
@Applewood
I can still remember my maternal grandmother (who babysat me when my mother needed to go out on errands) listening to the ancient radio soap Pepper Young's Family (it ran from 1932-1959; eventual Smuckers preserves pitchman and Lou Grant cast member Mason Adams played the title role from 1945 until the show expired) and watching As the World Turns while she had me until she went to work later in 1959. (My mother's younger brother had married, so she decided to go to work and became a bookkeeper until she retired in 1979.)

Now Kukla, Fran and Ollie -- I remember that show, but oddly, I don't remember Hugh Downs being on it.  Hey, I was a little mite at the time.  Today, I'm lucky if I remember my own name.  LOL
I'd watch that show when I was a small (ha ha) kid in the Bronx, before going to school. For awhile, anyway. I was more looking for shows that showed Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera cartoons. (I never did like much of the Terrytoons, other than Deputy Dawg: they looked exactly the way I eventually learned they were: made on the absolute cheap.) And when I got home for lunch, there'd be Concentration! on the tube . . . (remember when you could call television "the tube?")

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #908 on: July 04, 2020, 01:15:26 am »

99 is a good run. Rest In Peace, sir.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #909 on: July 04, 2020, 06:06:36 pm »
Former Phillies pitcher Tyson Brummett dies in plane crash in Utah | NBC Sports Philadelphia

Former Phillies pitcher Tyson Brummett died Friday morning in a plane crash in Utah.

Brummett, 35, was piloting the small plane when it crashed in the Wasatch Mountains outside Salt Lake City, according to the Utah County Sheriff’s Office.

All four passengers died in the crash — Brummett, his 35-year-old friend Alex Ruegner, and Ruegner’s uncle and aunt, Douglas (62) and Elaine Blackhurst (60).

Brummett had a cup of coffee for the 2012 Phillies, making one appearance in Game 162. He was in the Phillies’ system from 2007-12, pitching 110 total innings at Triple A Lehigh Valley.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/former-phillies-pitcher-tyson-brummett-dies-in-plane-crash-utah

@EasyAce

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #910 on: July 04, 2020, 06:30:06 pm »
Former Phillies pitcher Tyson Brummett dies in plane crash in Utah | NBC Sports Philadelphia

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/former-phillies-pitcher-tyson-brummett-dies-in-plane-crash-utah

@EasyAce
@Gefn

Tragic.

He crashed in the same state where a Chicago Cubs second baseman named Ken Hubbs was killed in the crash of his private plane in a snow storm in early 1964. The sad irony: Hubbs took up flying to overcome his fear of it.

RIP Tyler Brummett.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #911 on: July 06, 2020, 01:23:23 am »
Nick Cordero, Standout Actor in Broadway Musicals, Dies of COVID-19 Complications at 41

Nick Cordero, the charming Tony-nominated actor known for his work in Bullets Over Broadway, Waitress and A Bronx Tale the Musical, died Sunday after a grueling battle with the coronavirus, his wife announced. He was 41.

Since being diagnosed with what was thought to be pneumonia in late March, the Canadian actor spent weeks in intensive care at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, had his right leg amputated, lost more than 60 pounds and was hoping to receive a double-lung transplant.

Cordero had come to L.A. to star as Bourbon Room owner Dennis Dupree in an immersive adaptation of the long-running Broadway hit Rock of Ages in a new space on Hollywood Boulevard. He had played the role years ago in a national tour and on Broadway, and the new version of the musical opened in January.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nick-cordero-dead-bullets-broadway-waitress-actor-was-41-1301841

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #912 on: July 06, 2020, 01:25:05 am »
Nick Cordero, Standout Actor in Broadway Musicals, Dies of COVID-19 Complications at 41

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nick-cordero-dead-bullets-broadway-waitress-actor-was-41-1301841

I wasn’t familiar with this actor, but he truly seemed talented and gifted, and I know he suffered a lot in his final weeks and days. I hope he is finally at peace. Rest In Peace.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #913 on: July 06, 2020, 11:27:43 am »

I wasn’t familiar with this actor, but he truly seemed talented and gifted, and I know he suffered a lot in his final weeks and days. I hope he is finally at peace. Rest In Peace.

I'm not familiar with Mr. Cordero either, but I get a newsfeed from MSN on my laptop and it seemed almost every day there was a story about him and his fight with COVID -- mostly news from his wife.  The poor man went through hell (and his wife and family too).  Had a one-year-old son he won't see grow up.  Terrible tragedy.

And there are still some who think COVID is no worse than a cold.

Rest in peace, Mr. Cordero and may your wife and family find comfort.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #914 on: July 06, 2020, 01:33:09 pm »
I'm not familiar with Mr. Cordero either, but I get a newsfeed from MSN on my laptop and it seemed almost every day there was a story about him and his fight with COVID -- mostly news from his wife.  The poor man went through hell (and his wife and family too).  Had a one-year-old son he won't see grow up.  Terrible tragedy.

And there are still some who think COVID is no worse than a cold.

Rest in peace, Mr. Cordero and may your wife and family find comfort.

@Applewood

It ISN'T unless you have other serious underlying health issues like AIDS,cancer,kidney disease,etc,etc,etc.

Within the last two days there was a report of another "tragic covid-related death". It was a 96 year old WW-2 vet living in a nursing home that had heart trouble,blood pressure problems,etc,etc,etc.

Think about that one for a minute. Here was a veteran,struck down in the prime of his life by this deadly disease the left and the RINO's need as much as they need oxygen to have any hope of staying in power.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #915 on: July 06, 2020, 02:25:20 pm »

@Applewood

It ISN'T unless you have other serious underlying health issues like AIDS,cancer,kidney disease,etc,etc,etc.

Within the last two days there was a report of another "tragic covid-related death". It was a 96 year old WW-2 vet living in a nursing home that had heart trouble,blood pressure problems,etc,etc,etc.

Think about that one for a minute. Here was a veteran,struck down in the prime of his life by this deadly disease the left and the RINO's need as much as they need oxygen to have any hope of staying in power.

@sneakypete

Geez, man, did you read the obituary?  Mr. Cordero was 41 and a professional Broadway dancer.  You can't be a successful dancer if you have underlying health issues, so I assume Mr. Cordero was in good health till COVID got him.

And that was my point --  while most of the deaths from this virus are coming from older and/or chronically ill people,  the virus can kill anyone at any age.  Maybe for some who test positive, the virus produces no or mild symptoms.  But for many at any age and regardless of health, the virus can be deadly.  It is not the common cold.

And that's all I'm going to say.  This thread is meant to announce, honor and remember the big names who have passed.  It's not for political arguments.  Now I'm sorry I brought up how deadly COVID is, but I will say no more about it.  The discussion is closed.

BTW -- who wizzed in your Wheaties this morning?  You seem to be especially miserable today -- more so than usual.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:45:41 pm by Applewood »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #916 on: July 06, 2020, 02:30:10 pm »
Ennio Morricone, Prolific Italian Composer for the Movies, Dies at 91
The Hollywood Reporter

Ennio Morricone, the Oscar winner whose haunting, inventive scores expertly accentuated the simmering, dialogue-free tension of the spaghetti Westerns directed by Sergio Leone, has died. He was 91.

The Italian composer, who scored more than 500 films — seven for his countryman Leone after they had met as kids in elementary school — died in Rome following complications from a fall last week in which he broke his femur. 

A native and lifelong resident of Rome whose first instrument was the trumpet, Morricone won his Oscar for his work on Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight (2015) and also was nominated for his original scores for Terrence Malick’s Days of Heaven (1978), Roland Joffe’s The Mission (1986), Brian De Palma’s The Untouchables (1987), Barry Levinson’s Bugsy (1991) and Giuseppe Tornatore’s Malena (2000) . . .

And, he wrote arguably the greatest Western film theme of them all . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

RIP Signor Morricone.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:30:59 pm by EasyAce »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #917 on: July 06, 2020, 02:49:10 pm »
And that's ll I'm going to say.  This thread is meant to announce, honor and remember the big names who have passed.  It's not for political arguments.  Now I'm sorry I brought up how deadly COVID is, but I will say no more about it.  The discussion is closed.

Statistically, it's not deadly, and is becoming less deadly as time goes on, on average, approaching a less than 1% mortality, and that will be halved in another month. By far and away, deaths from covid are statistically within the margin of error, even with inflated rates.

If you get the corona virus, unless you have underlying illnesses, you are likely going to survive, and may not even know you contracted it. Even where the illness is dire, in elderly with underlying factors, the likelihood is that you will still survive, by a large margin.

Your ire is misplaced. On the personal level, this bug can be a terrible tragedy, and there is no one I know that would deny it. But statistics are about the aggregate, and without the emotional involvement. And statistically, this bug is a little worse than the flu.

And I might add, I can make the argument that most of its mortality was caused by its lingering, and its lingering, caused by the lock-down. Left to it's own devices, letting herd immunity occur in its natural course, the death toll would have been less.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #918 on: July 06, 2020, 02:53:21 pm »
And that's all I'm going to say.  This thread is meant to announce, honor and remember the big names who have passed.  It's not for political arguments.  Now I'm sorry I brought up how deadly COVID is, but I will say no more about it.  The discussion is closed.

Thank you.  It's true, this isn't thread to discuss the relative disaster of The Rona.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #919 on: July 06, 2020, 04:39:45 pm »
@EasyAce

The music from GBU was just so cool.  But I could never figure out what the men were saying.  Don't walk to Waco?  Or maybe it was in Italian.  Or "frontier gibberish" as in Blazing Saddles.  LOL

Rest in peace, Mr. Morricone.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #920 on: July 06, 2020, 04:42:07 pm »
Charlie Daniels passes away after suffering stroke

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) — Country music and southern rock legend Charlie Daniels has passed away after suffering a stroke, his representatives announced Monday.

The Grand Ole Opry member and Country Music Hall of Famer was 83.

https://fox17.com/news/local/charlie-daniels-passes-away-after-suffering-stroke

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #921 on: July 06, 2020, 04:43:15 pm »
Charlie Daniels passes away after suffering stroke

https://fox17.com/news/local/charlie-daniels-passes-away-after-suffering-stroke

The Devil Went Down to Georgia was a great song, RIP Mr. Daniels.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #922 on: July 06, 2020, 04:49:27 pm »

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #923 on: July 06, 2020, 04:50:40 pm »
https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/07/06/charlie-daniels-country-music-dies/5384087002/

Country Music Hall of Fame member Charlie Daniels dies at 83

Charlie Daniels, a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame best known for "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," died Monday morning after suffering a hemorrhagic stroke. He was 83.

Daniels' death was confirmed by his publicist, Don Murry Grubbs. He is survived by his wife, Hazel, and son Charlie Daniels, Jr.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #924 on: July 06, 2020, 04:50:43 pm »
Oh geez.  Charlie Daniels gone.  A real country music legend. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Daniels.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

8888crybaby