Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 94945 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #800 on: May 24, 2020, 11:25:29 pm »
@sneakypete

The etymology of apologia (Greek: ἀπολογία) is derived from the root word apologos (ἀπόλογος), “a speech in defense”., and the corresponding verb form apologeisthai " to speak in one's defense."  The Greek philosophers Plato, Isocrates, and Aristotle described apologia as an oratory to defend positions or actions particularly in the sense of a legal defense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apologia
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #801 on: May 25, 2020, 02:33:16 pm »
@sneakypete

The etymology of apologia (Greek: ἀπολογία) is derived from the root word apologos (ἀπόλογος), “a speech in defense”., and the corresponding verb form apologeisthai " to speak in one's defense."  The Greek philosophers Plato, Isocrates, and Aristotle described apologia as an oratory to defend positions or actions particularly in the sense of a legal defense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apologia

Sometimes words in other languages that look like certain English words mean something quite different. A classic example of this is the Spanish word "Embarazada". It does not mean "embarrassed", :whistle: .
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #802 on: May 25, 2020, 05:01:50 pm »
Jimmy Cobb, the Pulse of Kind of Blue, Dies at 91

Jimmy Cobb, whose subtle and steady drumming formed the pulse of some of jazz's most beloved recordings, died at his home in Manhattan on Sunday. He was 91.

The cause was lung cancer, says his wife, Eleana Tee Cobb.

Cobb was the last surviving member of what's often called Miles Davis' First Great Sextet. He held that title for almost three decades, serving as a conduit for many generations of jazz fans into the band that recorded the music's most iconic and enduring album, Kind of Blue . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Cobb was also the anchor and last surviving member of the Wynton Kelly Trio (they broke up in 1969 when bassist Paul Chambers died; Kelly died a short time later); here, they're accompanied by some friendly guy named Wes . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

RIP

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #803 on: May 25, 2020, 05:52:51 pm »
Sometimes words in other languages that look like certain English words mean something quite different. A classic example of this is the Spanish word "Embarazada". It does not mean "embarrassed", :whistle: .
Well, you might be if it wasn't planned.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #804 on: May 25, 2020, 07:17:45 pm »
Well, you might be if it wasn't planned.
It's a twofer. Embarrassed and embarazada.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #805 on: May 25, 2020, 07:20:43 pm »
 ****drummer
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #806 on: May 31, 2020, 09:28:55 pm »
Christo, artist known for massive, fleeting displays, dies

NEW YORK (AP) — Christo, known for massive, ephemeral public arts projects, has died. He was 84.

His death was announced on Twitter and the artist’s web page. No cause of death was given.

Along with his late wife Jeanne-Claude, the artists careers were defined by the massive, ambitious art projects that quickly disappeared soon after they were erected. In 2001, he installed more than 7,500 vinyl gates in New York’s Central Park and and wrapped the Reichstag in Berlin in fabric with an aluminum sheen in 1995.

The statement said the artist’s next project, L’Arc de Triomphe, Wrapped, is slated to appear in September in Paris as planned.

https://apnews.com/c62953312b2a915582eb896ed8f747a0?utm_source=PushNotification
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #807 on: May 31, 2020, 09:30:09 pm »
Christo, artist known for massive, fleeting displays, dies

https://apnews.com/c62953312b2a915582eb896ed8f747a0?utm_source=PushNotification

I saw “The Gates” in Central Park. Thank you Mr. Christo for that lovely day.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #808 on: May 31, 2020, 09:39:09 pm »

I saw “The Gates” in Central Park. Thank you Mr. Christo for that lovely day.
I only saw the anchors for the curtain in Rifle Gap. IIRC, that one has some wind problems.

Will he be wrapped in pink for his internment?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #809 on: May 31, 2020, 09:40:12 pm »
I only saw the anchors for the curtain in Rifle Gap. IIRC, that one has some wind problems.

Will he be wrapped in pink for his internment?

@Smokin Joe was that the umbrellas?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #810 on: May 31, 2020, 09:59:46 pm »
@Smokin Joe was that the umbrellas?
@Gefn No, it was the "Valley Curtain" north of Rifle, Colorado. More on that project here: https://christojeanneclaude.net/mobile/projects?p=valley-curtain
The prevailing wind through the gap was unkind to the artist's concept.

Image from this commentary: https://www.janetgeibpretti.com/2006/11/valuing_the_une.html

The umbrella project was in Japan and California, iirc. https://christojeanneclaude.net/projects/the-umbrellas (Blue and yellow)
Wind proved to be the enemy there, also, as one of the umbrellas toppled, trapping a woman between a boulder and the umbrella, causing her death.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:01:37 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #811 on: June 01, 2020, 01:55:02 am »
A year after the man who dethroned him passed away . . .

Herbert Stempel, whistleblower in quiz show scandals, dies at 93
By David P. Marino-Nachison
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/herbert-stempel-whistleblower-in-quiz-show-scandals-dies-at-93/2020/05/31/41095fc8-a35d-11ea-bb20-ebf0921f3bbd_story.html?fbclid=IwAR3lVTVPSMAm5fLncibAwjwHp7Ndjn49yc875AkOWRitTKJ_KkDGaWTtIVg

Herbert Stempel, the Bronx-born brainiac who became a central figure and whistleblower in the game show rigging scandals of the 1950s, a cultural turning point later chronicled in the 1994 movie “Quiz Show,” died April 7 at a nursing home in New York City. He was 93.

His former wife Ethel Stempel did not give a precise cause but confirmed the death, which was not publicly announced and was first reported on Sunday by the New York Times .  . .

. . . “I wouldn’t call him a saint or a sinner,” TV historian Wesley Hyatt said of Mr. Stempel. “More than anything else, he was just a human being who was caught in a situation that was unprecedented. He did some wise things, and he did some not-so-wise things" . . .

Classic line from the film Quiz Show, which Stempel actually did say when seeing TV commercials for the show on which he was defeated: "Tonight, watch Herb Stempel be fed to the Columbia lion. Watch Charles Van Doren eat his first kosher meal."

RIP Mr. Stempel.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #812 on: June 01, 2020, 08:55:24 pm »
Legendary Auburn football coach Pat Dye dead at 80

By: Bob D'Angelo, Cox Media Group National Content Desk
Updated: June 1, 2020 - 2:55 PM

AUBURN, Ala. — Pat Dye, who led Auburn’s football team to four Southeastern Conference championships during his 12-year coaching career at the university, died Monday. He was 80.

Dye had tested positive for the coronavirus while he was hospitalized in Atlanta with kidney issues, his son told ESPN last month. Dye’s death was first reported by 247Sports.

Dye led the Tigers to a 99-39-4 record from 1981 to 1992, winning at least a share of SEC championships in 1983, 1987, 1988 and 1989. His Auburn teams won at least 10 games in a season four times and won six bowl games.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending/coronavirus-legendary-auburn-football-coach-pat-dye-dead-80/MHSZ7IYVPJGC5FKYXXSHRQD5ZE/

Actual cause of death not given, although the report leaves the reader with the impression that Dye is a coronavirus casualty.  Dye was a UGA grad who led Auburn against UGA and their Auburn-grad head coach Vince Dooly.

@Sighlass
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #813 on: June 02, 2020, 01:53:20 pm »
@EasyAce

"Kind of Blue" would be one of my stranded-on-a-desert-island album choices, along with "Milestones".

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #814 on: June 02, 2020, 02:58:33 pm »
@EasyAce

"Kind of Blue" would be one of my stranded-on-a-desert-island album choices, along with "Milestones".
@GrouchoTex
Had I not gotten to hear and obtain the following box set, I would have agreed with those two choices . . .

Offline Applewood

« Reply #815 on: June 08, 2020, 09:58:04 pm »
Bonnie Pointer of The Pointer Sisters Dies at 69

Bonnie Pointer, founding member of '70s vocal group the Pointer Sisters, has died at 69. TMZ reports that her sister (and former groupmate) Anita Pointer confirmed Bonnie's passing, saying, "It is with great sadness that I have to announce to the fans of The Pointer Sisters that my sister, Bonnie died this morning. Our family is devastated, on behalf of my siblings and I and the entire Pointer family, we ask for your prayers at this time.”

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/obituary/9398424/bonnie-pointer-pointer-sisters-dies

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #816 on: June 08, 2020, 10:10:21 pm »
Bonnie Pointer of The Pointer Sisters Dies at 69

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/obituary/9398424/bonnie-pointer-pointer-sisters-dies

I had no idea they were so young!  RIP, Ms Pointer.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #817 on: June 08, 2020, 11:55:01 pm »
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 12:01:50 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #818 on: June 14, 2020, 10:58:36 pm »
Katie Williams Dunning
Daughter of Hank Williams, Jr. dies at 27

Williams-Dunning, the daughter of Hank Williams, Jr., had operated clothing designer Weston Jane. She and her husband were in an SUV that was driving down Tennessee Highway 79 when the vehicle crossed the median and rolled over. Her husband survived but was injured; she was killed. She leaves behind two young children.

Obituary from The Tennesseean
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:59:31 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #819 on: June 14, 2020, 11:23:57 pm »
Tragic.  So young.  Rest in peace, Mrs. Williams-Dunning.  Prayers for her loved ones.   :0001:

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #820 on: June 15, 2020, 12:34:39 am »
Katie Williams Dunning
Daughter of Hank Williams, Jr. dies at 27

Williams-Dunning, the daughter of Hank Williams, Jr., had operated clothing designer Weston Jane. She and her husband were in an SUV that was driving down Tennessee Highway 79 when the vehicle crossed the median and rolled over. Her husband survived but was injured; she was killed. She leaves behind two young children.

Obituary from The Tennesseean

Damn, that just sucks. I read an article about her just a few months back. She seemed like a real go getter.

And I feel for Hank. You should never have to bury a child.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #821 on: June 15, 2020, 01:23:43 am »
Damn, that just sucks. I read an article about her just a few months back. She seemed like a real go getter.

@Free Vulcan

That has to be the saddest thing in the whole damn world. It upsets the natural order of things. It's contrary to nature.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 01:25:03 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #822 on: June 15, 2020, 01:26:38 am »

I agree.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #823 on: June 15, 2020, 03:05:11 am »
@Free Vulcan

That has to be the saddest thing in the whole damn world. It upsets the natural order of things. It's contrary to nature.
24 years of teaching I have seen about a dozen parents go through this. It never gets better or easier. i can't imagine there is a pain greater.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #824 on: June 15, 2020, 04:47:16 pm »
24 years of teaching I have seen about a dozen parents go through this. It never gets better or easier. i can't imagine there is a pain greater.
@verga
I thank God my parents weren't alive to see my younger brother get killed in 1998. (He was 38.) Bad enough I had to bury him. (The good news: the bastard who shot him got 25 years no parole, and at his age and health conditions at the time of the trial he wasn't liable to leave prison except in a coffin.)