Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95554 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #525 on: April 09, 2020, 06:19:36 pm »
‘The Virginian’ Western Lead Actor James Drury Dies Aged 85

https://mb.ntd.com/the-virginian-western-actor-james-drury-dies-aged-85_453817.html

I don't think I saw this posted.

' The Virginian',  90 minute Western.  Still shows on Direct TV, good show but a bit too long.

http://www.bing.com/amp/s/variety.com/2020/tv/news/james-drury-dead-dies-the-virginian-1234572123/amp/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 06:23:30 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #526 on: April 10, 2020, 01:21:24 am »
I see 'the Virginian' is aired on Direct TV channel 364, INSPHD , so a religious station but I mainly see old Westerns on it.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Doug McClure too.  Wyoming territory.

In fact, it is on right now. I liked the "Big Valley" too, a bit of a different type of Western.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Virginian_(TV_series)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 01:24:08 am by TomSea »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #527 on: April 10, 2020, 02:21:09 am »
I see 'the Virginian' is aired on Direct TV channel 364, INSPHD , so a religious station but I mainly see old Westerns on it.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Doug McClure too.  Wyoming territory.

In fact, it is on right now. I liked the "Big Valley" too, a bit of a different type of Western.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Virginian_(TV_series)

My husband had a crush on Linda Evans (Audra Barkley). Before me, of course!  wink777

Good show.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #528 on: April 10, 2020, 10:26:48 am »
Mad’ Magazine Cartoonist Mort Drucker Dead at 91

Mort Drucker, the cartoonist and caricaturist who helped satirize decades of pop culture in the pages of Mad magazine, died Wednesday, The New York Times reports. He was 91.

A cause of death was not given, though Drucker’s friend, John Reiner, confirmed his death. The National Cartoonists Society also confirmed his death, with member and illustrator Tom Richmond writing in tribute, “Mort was a true master of the craft of visual storytelling, and his work transcended the boundaries of the different applications of the comic medium. He could do it all, from realistic comic book work to the silliest of cartoons to everything in between.”

Drucker was a self-taught illustrator and freelance cartoonist who joined Mad in 1956 and soon took a regularly recurring bit — film and TV show parodies — and turned it into a defining staple of the humor magazine. His first was a spoof of the Fifties court drama, Perry Mason, and over the next 50-plus years he illustrated a total of 238 of them, riffing on everything from Star Wars and Saturday Night Fever to Yentl and Forrest Gump. His last film parody was published in 2008, a send-up of The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian titled The Chronic-Ills of Yawnia: Prince Thespian.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/mort-drucker-mad-magazine-cartoonist-dead-obituary-981159/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #529 on: April 10, 2020, 10:29:53 am »

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/mort-drucker-mad-magazine-cartoonist-dead-obituary-981159/
RIP Mr. Drucker! Thank You!
I still smile when I see MAD...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #530 on: April 10, 2020, 10:32:11 am »

I still have a subscription!  :silly:

What me worry?

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #531 on: April 10, 2020, 10:42:06 am »
I still have a subscription!  :silly:

What me worry?
I haven't seen a fresh copy in years, but with some things I am a pack rat. Books, of course, and selected magazines (just a couple) and some old comic books. But when I see a copy, it takes me right back to my younger days...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #532 on: April 10, 2020, 04:39:52 pm »

@Gefn

Amusing story about Mort Drucker---when lawyers for George Lucas tried to slap Drucker and Mad with litigation over their parody "The Empire Throws Up," Mad publisher William M. Gaines shot back with a brief note . . . and a letter Lucas himself had sent the magazine calling Drucker "the Leonardo da Vinci of comic satire." Gaine's note said, simply, "George likes it."

End of litigation.

Here's Drucker in 1966, satirising television's Batman in "Bats-Man".

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #533 on: April 10, 2020, 04:42:28 pm »
Thanks @EasyAce

I’m almost starting to dread looking at obits now.  Peace to all.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #534 on: April 10, 2020, 04:45:33 pm »
I haven't seen a fresh copy in years, but with some things I am a pack rat. Books, of course, and selected magazines (just a couple) and some old comic books. But when I see a copy, it takes me right back to my younger days...

I still have these Mad anthologies:

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #535 on: April 10, 2020, 04:50:28 pm »
Wonderful! Don Martin was as much a favorite as Gahan Wilson (different publication).
Far beyond my meager and threadbare assemblage!

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #536 on: April 10, 2020, 04:54:36 pm »

@Smokin Joe

Me,too. Never missed an issue either Mad or Cracked when I was a kid. Didn't have a clue was satire was back then,but I knew I liked it!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #537 on: April 10, 2020, 05:01:16 pm »

@Smokin Joe

Remember "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers",and "Fat Freddy" and his cat?

GREAT stuff. I had every issue at one time,and my mother threw them away. He excuse was "Well,you had already read them".

Hell,she had already given away all my uniforms and other stuff I sent home when I was medievaced from VN,and had already given it all away before I got home to discover the only clothes I had to wear were the dress greens I was wearing. Her excuse that time was "You can always get more uniforms from the army,and wear them."

She also gave away the new jungle boots,the new poncho liners,and all sorts of other personal items in the crate. Because of her "generosity",I didn't have a single set of jungle fatigues to wear when I got to Bragg.

She did that with everything that wasn't of immediate use. Did it her whole life,and you just couldn't break her of it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #538 on: April 10, 2020, 05:07:39 pm »
Thanks @EasyAce

I’m almost starting to dread looking at obits now.  Peace to all.

Me too. Don't need the reminder of how fast time has passed.

Loved Mad Magazine, though. One of it's founders - can't remember which - related a story about the magazine's entire 'executive board' flying to Haiti (or similar place) and going to the house of the island's only subscriber to try to convince him to reconsider.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #539 on: April 10, 2020, 05:15:42 pm »
@Gefn

Amusing story about Mort Drucker---when lawyers for George Lucas tried to slap Drucker and Mad with litigation over their parody "The Empire Throws Up," Mad publisher William M. Gaines shot back with a brief note . . . and a letter Lucas himself had sent the magazine calling Drucker "the Leonardo da Vinci of comic satire." Gaine's note said, simply, "George likes it."

End of litigation.

Here's Drucker in 1966, satirising television's Batman in "Bats-Man".

A great cartoonist.  Thanks for the link to Bats-Man!  A Blast from the Past!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #540 on: April 10, 2020, 07:40:04 pm »
@Smokin Joe

GREAT stuff. I had every issue at one time,and my mother threw them away. He excuse was "Well,you had already read them".

Hell,she had already given away all my uniforms and other stuff I sent home when I was medievaced from VN,and had already given it all away before I got home to discover the only clothes I had to wear were the dress greens I was wearing. Her excuse that time was "You can always get more uniforms from the army,and wear them."

She also gave away the new jungle boots,the new poncho liners,and all sorts of other personal items in the crate. Because of her "generosity",I didn't have a single set of jungle fatigues to wear when I got to Bragg.

She did that with everything that wasn't of immediate use. Did it her whole life,and you just couldn't break her of it.
My mother threw out all my baseball cards ( a number of them very valuable) and all my comic books including early Marvel Comics also valuable. When I asked her why she did it, she replied, "I didn't think you wanted them anymore." They were all stored in a special cabinet in my room. They were in no way cluttering up the room or the house. She never asked me if I wanted to keep them.
Thanks a lot mom.
I love the "logic" of the people who throw your things away because they thought (without asking you if you wanted to keep them) that you've already read them.
Well then, we should be able to throw out things they've used, like records, tapes, etc. because they've already heard them.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #541 on: April 10, 2020, 07:42:03 pm »
Wonderful! Don Martin was as much a favorite as Gahan Wilson (different publication).
Far beyond my meager and threadbare assemblage!
Loved Don Martin. I still remember the one about the seven day rat race, and I still laugh after fifty or more years.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #542 on: April 10, 2020, 09:50:54 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Man, you really needed a bro you could trust to sit on your stuff until you caught up with it.

A lot of stuff I had at my folks' got ruined, but that was humidity, salt air, time, and silverfish, who literally ate the ink off the pages, right down to a 4X8 Nixon Agnew campaign poster. One little Carter for Prez poster survived. I guess those bugs wouldn't even eat it... :shrug:
A few things survived, most did not, and some just got lost along the way. Ones I miss most were a ca. 1720 (brass) wedding band I found, and the WWII Army Air Force Flight Pants I had, that I wore in -60 weather w/a 40 MPH wind and still stayed functionally warm. (The Nomex III outfit I replaced them with years later cost over a grand, and just isn't the same as the old ones).  Lately winters have been so warm that all that cold weather gear is too hot to wear outside, especially if a guy is doing anything much.  Funny, though, how I still have my first p38, a gift from a friend, hanging on a key chain.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #543 on: April 10, 2020, 10:27:14 pm »
@Smokin Joe

@sneakypete

Gilbert Shelton was awesome.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:29:00 pm by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #544 on: April 10, 2020, 10:49:12 pm »
Merle's been dead for four years now.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #545 on: April 10, 2020, 10:55:25 pm »

Shhhh.  I'm not passing up an opportunity for a music interlude.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

« Reply #546 on: April 10, 2020, 11:01:53 pm »
What the heck. His death keeps popping up online.

I need to get out more.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #547 on: April 10, 2020, 11:12:35 pm »
What the heck. His death keeps popping up online.

The way Keith Richards does not... :whistle:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #548 on: April 10, 2020, 11:56:30 pm »
The way Keith Richards does not... :whistle:

LOL  Well, the joke is that Richards died three years ago, but no one told him yet.  I expect when it does happen, people will want proof he's really gone.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #549 on: April 11, 2020, 12:25:23 am »
@Smokin Joe

I still have a stack of Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers magazines in my closet. Best enjoyed while smoking stuff I no longer smoke. Far out, man. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn