Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95541 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #475 on: April 02, 2020, 09:00:43 pm »
I liked it best when it was covered by the California Raisins.  happy77
Sorry, but they had just a little too much of the grape . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #476 on: April 02, 2020, 09:02:36 pm »
Sorry, but they had just a little too much of the grape . . .

But I'm sure it was good American Napa Valley grape.  happy77
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #477 on: April 03, 2020, 02:31:01 pm »
'Lean On Me' songwriter Bill Withers dead at 81

Bill Withers, known for writing and singing enduring hit songs from the 1970s such as "Lean on Me," "Lovely Day" and "Ain't No Sunshine," has died from heart complications at age 81.

Withers' family confirmed the news of his death to The Associated Press.

The three-time Grammy Award winner, who withdrew from making music in the mid-1980s and lived a private life outside the public eye, died on Monday in Los Angeles, the statement said.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/lean-on-me-songwriter-bill-withers-dead-at-81

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #478 on: April 03, 2020, 02:38:38 pm »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #479 on: April 03, 2020, 03:18:41 pm »
He's one of our favorite native sons here in WV:
... Withers, who overcame a childhood stutter, was born the last of six children in the coal mining town of Slab Fork, West Virginia. After his parents divorced when he was 3, Withers was raised by his mother’s family in nearby Beckley.

He joined the Navy at 17 and spent nine years in the service as an aircraft mechanic installing toilets. After his discharge, he moved to Los Angeles, worked at an aircraft parts factory, bought a guitar at a pawn shop and recorded demos of his tunes in hopes of landing a recording contract.   ...
(from the FOX story linked above)
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #480 on: April 03, 2020, 03:59:54 pm »

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/lean-on-me-songwriter-bill-withers-dead-at-81

I still sing "Lean on Me" with my Salvation Army afterschool educational program, and the kids love it.  I played one of the boys Bill Withers' original, and he said, "He plays it just like you," and I replied, "Actually, I try to play it just like he did."

It's a song for the ages......

RIP, Mr. Withers! 

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Applewood

« Reply #481 on: April 03, 2020, 04:27:24 pm »
Interesting that Mr. Withers walked away from the music business years ago, although that might have been because he lost control over his music to the corporations and that made him unhappy.  But I never heard anything bad about him -- unlike others who make it big, then get into all sorts of trouble with drink, drugs, "ho's" and what not.  Seems he didn't let fame destroy him.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Rest in peace, Mr. Withers.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #482 on: April 03, 2020, 05:17:19 pm »
Krzystof Penderecki - Contemporary Polish Composer dies at 86

I had the great honor of being a part of the American premier performance of Penderecki's "St. Luke Passion" with the Minnesota Orchestra in Carnegie Hall in 1969.

NY Times 1969 review

It was one of the most significant musical experiences in my life.

His music was exceptionally difficult to perform and highly dissonant, but his portrayal of the Crucifixion of Christ was incredible.

RIP Mr. Penderecki

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #483 on: April 03, 2020, 05:22:14 pm »

@Applewood

There are just some people that should be allowed to remain young adults forever because of their gifts. Bill Withers was one of them.

Garth Brooks mentioned him by name and sang one of his songs as a tribute to great songs and songwriters when he was recently given his award by the Library of Congress.

Withers didn't need a stage full of musicians and 2 dozen back up dancers to get the audiences attention. He didn't even have to wear a costume. He just got up there and sang,and everybody stayed quiet and listened until he was done.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #484 on: April 03, 2020, 09:53:33 pm »
‘Unicorn Killer’ Ira Einhorn Dies In Prison At 79
By CBS3 Staff
April 3, 2020 at 5:19 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Notorious killer Ira Einhorn has died in prison. Einhorn, known as the “Unicorn Killer,” was found dead this morning at a prison outside of Pittsburgh. ...

Einhorn was serving a life sentencing for killing his girlfriend, Holly Maddux, in Philadelphia in 1977.

He spent years on the run before he was finally caught in France in 1997.   ...

More at https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2020/04/03/unicorn-killer-ira-einhorn-dies-in-prison-at-79/

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #485 on: April 03, 2020, 10:40:52 pm »
‘Unicorn Killer’ Ira Einhorn Dies In Prison At 79
By CBS3 Staff
April 3, 2020 at 5:19 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Notorious killer Ira Einhorn has died in prison. Einhorn, known as the “Unicorn Killer,” was found dead this morning at a prison outside of Pittsburgh. ...

Einhorn was serving a life sentencing for killing his girlfriend, Holly Maddux, in Philadelphia in 1977.

He spent years on the run before he was finally caught in France in 1997.   ...

More at https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2020/04/03/unicorn-killer-ira-einhorn-dies-in-prison-at-79/

Just try to imagine all the oxygen,water,food,medical care,etc,etc,etc this monster "stole" while being locked away.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #486 on: April 03, 2020, 10:41:57 pm »
He was reprehensible. Coincidentally, that murder was featured on one of those true crime shows last night.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #487 on: April 03, 2020, 10:43:11 pm »
Just try to imagine all the oxygen,water,food,medical care,etc,etc,etc this monster "stole" while being locked away.
One of the beauties of believing in an afterlife is that those of his ilk get to meet their maker and answer for what and who they were.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #488 on: April 03, 2020, 11:34:23 pm »
One of the beauties of believing in an afterlife is that those of his ilk get to meet their maker and answer for what and who they were.

Speaking of his Maker...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #489 on: April 03, 2020, 11:44:22 pm »

@sneakypete

Well, even if he had received the death sentence, he would probably have lived out his life in prison anyway.  In this state, executions are as rare as hen's teeth.  And with the current Dem Goobernor, Wolf there is a edict forbidding executions "temporarily" -- presumably until an investigation is completed into why more blacks are executed than whites.  Or something.  And you know, as long as there is a  Dem governor, that "temporary" moratorium on executions will never be lifted.  I'm not so sure Republicans in this state would lift it either. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #490 on: April 05, 2020, 10:42:39 am »
Tom Dempsey
Controversial record-setting placekicker dies at 73'

⚜ 19
Dempsey's number with the Saints

Dempsey was born with a congenital defect on his right foot that left him with a short stub. He joined the New Orleans Saints in 1969; he made the Pro Bowl and was an All-Pro his rookie season. In 1970, he made his most famous kick: a 63-yard field goal that stood for 43 years as the longest field goal in NFL history.

Controversy eventually arose suggesting that Dempsey's kicking foot posed an unfair advantage and that his kick—a full seven yards longer than the previous record set by Bert Rechicar—was evidence that field goals had become too easy. Over the course of the 1970s, the NFL moved the goal posts back ten yards and then made a rule requiring any kicker with a deformed foot to use a kicking shoe that resembles a normal shoe.

Despite Dempsey's record kick, the Saints did not retain him after the 1970 season. He spent a plurality of his career, four years, with the Philadelphia Eagles, then two with the Los Angeles Rams. The requirement to change his shoe in 1977 effectively ended Dempsey's effectiveness, and his last two stints with the Houston Oilers and Buffalo Bills were ineffective.

Dempsey suffered several tragedies in his later life; losing many of his possessions from flooding in Hurricane Katrina, he quipped that the hurricane could not take away the memories—only to lose much of his memory to a dementia diagnosis in 2013. He died April 4 following a seven-year battle with dementia, complicated by coronavirus caught in the nursing home where he was staying.

Obituary from Pro Football Talk

Wikipedia

Career stats

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 10:47:16 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #491 on: April 05, 2020, 10:59:26 am »
Rest in peace, Mr. Dempsey.  And yes, that controversy over his record-setting kick was stupid.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #492 on: April 05, 2020, 01:05:26 pm »
Speaking of his Maker...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Hadn’t heard that Rick Wakeman song. Just “six wives”

Holly Maddox’s family I hope is finally at peace.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #493 on: April 05, 2020, 01:19:20 pm »
Tom Dempsey
Controversial record-setting placekicker dies at 73'

⚜ 19
Dempsey's number with the Saints

Dempsey was born with a congenital defect on his right foot that left him with a short stub. He joined the New Orleans Saints in 1969; he made the Pro Bowl and was an All-Pro his rookie season. In 1970, he made his most famous kick: a 63-yard field goal that stood for 43 years as the longest field goal in NFL history.

Controversy eventually arose suggesting that Dempsey's kicking foot posed an unfair advantage and that his kick—a full seven yards longer than the previous record set by Bert Rechicar—was evidence that field goals had become too easy. Over the course of the 1970s, the NFL moved the goal posts back ten yards and then made a rule requiring any kicker with a deformed foot to use a kicking shoe that resembles a normal shoe.

Despite Dempsey's record kick, the Saints did not retain him after the 1970 season. He spent a plurality of his career, four years, with the Philadelphia Eagles, then two with the Los Angeles Rams. The requirement to change his shoe in 1977 effectively ended Dempsey's effectiveness, and his last two stints with the Houston Oilers and Buffalo Bills were ineffective.

Dempsey suffered several tragedies in his later life; losing many of his possessions from flooding in Hurricane Katrina, he quipped that the hurricane could not take away the memories—only to lose much of his memory to a dementia diagnosis in 2013. He died April 4 following a seven-year battle with dementia, complicated by coronavirus caught in the nursing home where he was staying.

Obituary from Pro Football Talk

Wikipedia

Career stats

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Alex Karras said they didn't even rush Dempsey during his record fg attempt because they thought there's absolutely no way he could make it.
Karras quipped after the game "we thought they were going to kick the other way."

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #494 on: April 05, 2020, 01:27:06 pm »
I just read a NY Times story about the kick by a person who was there who said the stadium was virtually empty. And I read Karras's quote about not rushing Dempsey.
Both statements are false.
You can go to YT to watch the kick and see the stadium still had a lot of fans. And the Lions did rush Dempsey attempting to block the kick.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 01:27:57 pm by goatprairie »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #495 on: April 05, 2020, 02:24:14 pm »
I just read a NY Times story about the kick by a person who was there who said the stadium was virtually empty. And I read Karras's quote about not rushing Dempsey.
Both statements are false.
You can go to YT to watch the kick and see the stadium still had a lot of fans. And the Lions did rush Dempsey attempting to block the kick.

I was a 10 yr. old Saints fan at the time, and remember going outside to play, as I thought the game was over (lost).  Too bad, I missed watching an NFL historic moment.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #496 on: April 05, 2020, 02:46:11 pm »
@Applewood

There are just some people that should be allowed to remain young adults forever because of their gifts. Bill Withers was one of them.

Garth Brooks mentioned him by name and sang one of his songs as a tribute to great songs and songwriters when he was recently given his award by the Library of Congress.

Withers didn't need a stage full of musicians and 2 dozen back up dancers to get the audiences attention. He didn't even have to wear a costume. He just got up there and sang,and everybody stayed quiet and listened until he was done.

Plus he wrote one of the only songs I could never mess up the lyrics to while singing along - at least the 'I know I know I know' part.

Offline verga

« Reply #497 on: April 06, 2020, 10:20:00 am »
@EasyAce

To this very day I can't make up my mind who did that song the best,Gladys,or CCR. I generally tend to lean towards CCR,but then I hear her version again,and things ain't as clear as they were before.

If you knew how big a fan of CCR I was back in those days,you would know this is saying something wonderful about Gladys Knight.
@sneakypete Gotta disagree the best version of ALL TIME was the California Raisins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UShiwymsX0w
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #498 on: April 06, 2020, 01:58:26 pm »
@sneakypete Gotta disagree the best version of ALL TIME was the California Raisins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UShiwymsX0w

@verga

Well,they clearly had the best dance moves,anyhow.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #499 on: April 06, 2020, 05:22:49 pm »
Honor Blackman, Star of 'The Avengers' and 'Goldfinger,' Dies at 94

Honor Blackman, the beguiling British actress who portrayed the leather-clad Cathy Gale on TV's The Avengers and then Bond girl bleep Galore in Goldfinger, has died. She was 94.

Blackman, who first won recognition for her performance as Elizabeth Taylor's friend in the MGM spy tale Conspirator (1949), died at her home in Lewes, Sussex, of natural causes unrelated to the coronavirus, her family told The Guardian.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/honor-blackman-dead-goldfinger-avengers-actress-was-94-950932