Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95612 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #450 on: March 30, 2020, 11:19:27 pm »
CBS News Journalist Maria Mercader Dies at 54 After Testing Positive for Coronavirus
Jeremy Fuster

Maria Mercader, a CBS News veteran who worked for over 30 years as a reporter and talent director, died on Sunday after testing positive for coronavirus. She was 54.

More:   https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/cbs-news-journalist-maria-mercader-dies-at-54-after-testing-positive-for-coronavirus/ar-BB11Sun0?OCID=ansmsnnews11

NBC also lost someone on their staff about 5-7 days ago.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #451 on: March 30, 2020, 11:20:19 pm »
David Schramm, Star on NBC’s ‘Wings,’ Dies at 73
Jordan Moreau
17 hrs ago

David Schramm, a stage actor who was also a star on the NBC comedy “Wings,” has died. He was 73.

Schramm was a founding member of New York’s The Acting Company, which announced the news of his death on Sunday.

He played Roy Biggins, the rival airline owner on “Wings,” and appeared in all 172 episodes between 1990 and 1997. ...

More

Wings was good, wow, 172 whole episodes, rest in peace.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #452 on: March 31, 2020, 12:05:10 am »
Tomie dePaola
Children's author/illustrator dies at 85

dePaola is best known for Strega Nona, an old Italian woman based on his own grandparents. He parlayed the character into a series of children's books, which are among approximately 250 that he wrote or illustrated during his lifetime.

dePaola died March 30 from injuries sustained in a fall and complications from surgery.

Obituary from Time magazine

Wikipedia

Strega Nona at the Internet Archive
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #453 on: March 31, 2020, 12:13:50 am »
Tomie dePaola
Children's author/illustrator dies at 85

dePaola is best known for Strega Nona, an old Italian woman based on his own grandparents. He parlayed the character into a series of children's books, which are among approximately 250 that he wrote or illustrated during his lifetime.

dePaola died March 30 from injuries sustained in a fall and complications from surgery.

Obituary from Time magazine

Wikipedia

Strega Nona at the Internet Archive

Thanks for the Strega Nona link!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #454 on: March 31, 2020, 11:39:16 am »
Nobel laureate and Princeton physicist Philip Anderson dies at age 96

Philip Warren Anderson, one of the greatest theoretical physicists of the postwar era, died Sunday, March 29, at Princeton Windrows, age 96. Anderson was the Joseph Henry Professor of Physics, Emeritus, at Princeton University. His illustrious career included a Nobel Prize and fundamental contributions to understanding the nature of materials and collective phenomena more generally — from everyday items such as magnets to exotic superconductors and new forms of matter such as topologically ordered states. He also contributed to the Anderson-Higgs mechanism, which is a key basis for the Standard Model of Particle Physics.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/03/30/nobel-laureate-and-princeton-physicist-philip-anderson-dies-age-96
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #455 on: March 31, 2020, 12:29:43 pm »
Thanks for the Strega Nona link!
The Internet Archive is a wonderful resource for books. They have most of dePaola's books.
https://archive.org/search.php?query=tomie+depaola&and%5B%5D=mediatype%3A%22texts%22&page=2
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

« Reply #456 on: March 31, 2020, 08:17:05 pm »
PIONEER DEAD Famed neurosurgeon Dr. James T. Goodrich who separated conjoined twins dies from coronavirus complications

Niamh Cavanagh

Mar 31 2020, 11:04 ETUpdated: Mar 31 2020, 12:16 ET

A WORLD famous neurosurgeon who separated conjoined twins four years ago has died after being diagnosed with coronavirus.

Dr James Goodrich, a pediatric neurosurgeon at New York City's Montefiore Medical Centre, died yesterday after suffering complications due to COVID-19.

Twins that Dr Goodrich separated in 2016Credit: Facebook

Montefiore Medical Centre CEO, Dr Philip Ozuah said: "Dr Goodrich was a beacon of our institution and he will be truly missed.

Read more at: https://www.the-sun.com/news/615922/neurosurgeon-james-goodrich-dead-coronavirus-conjoined-twins/

Saddened by this tragedy indeed and for everyone this is happening too. More pictures at link.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:18:45 pm by TomSea »

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #457 on: April 02, 2020, 12:28:19 am »
Adam Schlesinger, Emmy Winner and Fountains of Wayne Cofounder, Dies of Coronavirus Complications

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/adam-schlesinger-coronavirus-dead-dies-1203552130/

Adam Schlesinger, a musician and songwriter highly regarded for his work as a member of Fountains of Wayne and an Emmy-winning songwriter for TV’s “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,” has died as a result of coronavirus complications, Variety has confirmed. He was 52.

He had previously been reported Tuesday morning as “very sick and heavily sedated” by his attorney of 25 years, Josh Grier. He had been in an upstate New York hospital for more than a week at that time, Grier said.

His Oscar nomination in 1997 was for writing the theme song for the Tom Hanks-directed film “That Thing You Do!,” one of his first successful forays outside the realm of his own music-making with Fountains of Wayne. He was also nominated for a Golden Globe at that time.

“Welcome Interstate Managers” in 2003, the album that generated “Stacy’s Mom” (and its Rachel Hunter-starring video), remained their most popular work.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLfasMPOU4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzllVlzzeuo

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #458 on: April 02, 2020, 04:00:40 am »
Adam Schlesinger, Emmy Winner and Fountains of Wayne Cofounder, Dies of Coronavirus Complications

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/adam-schlesinger-coronavirus-dead-dies-1203552130/

Adam Schlesinger, a musician and songwriter highly regarded for his work as a member of Fountains of Wayne and an Emmy-winning songwriter for TV’s “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,” has died as a result of coronavirus complications, Variety has confirmed. He was 52.

He had previously been reported Tuesday morning as “very sick and heavily sedated” by his attorney of 25 years, Josh Grier. He had been in an upstate New York hospital for more than a week at that time, Grier said.

His Oscar nomination in 1997 was for writing the theme song for the Tom Hanks-directed film “That Thing You Do!,” one of his first successful forays outside the realm of his own music-making with Fountains of Wayne. He was also nominated for a Golden Globe at that time.

“Welcome Interstate Managers” in 2003, the album that generated “Stacy’s Mom” (and its Rachel Hunter-starring video), remained their most popular work.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLfasMPOU4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzllVlzzeuo
That's how far out of the loop I am. I've never heard of this guy or the group.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #459 on: April 02, 2020, 06:40:37 am »
That's how far out of the loop I am. I've never heard of this guy or the group.
Me, neither, but that's why I check the music threads out. Might hear something I like I hadn't seen before.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #460 on: April 02, 2020, 02:05:23 pm »
Ellis Marsalis, Patriarch of New Orleans Most Musical Family - dead of Coronavirus

This is a great loss.

His album "Resolution of Romance" with his son Wynton, is one of the most beautiful jazz albums I've ever heard.

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #461 on: April 02, 2020, 03:15:00 pm »
Ellis Marsalis, Patriarch of New Orleans Most Musical Family - dead of Coronavirus

This is a great loss.

His album "Resolution of Romance" with his son Wynton, is one of the most beautiful jazz albums I've ever heard.

@musiclady

It can't possibly be true,but it sure SEEMS like that entire family is musically gifted,doesn't it?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #462 on: April 02, 2020, 03:18:20 pm »
Yes, an extremely talented family. My sister had the thrill of recording with Wynton when she was attending Eastman. Afterwards, he attended a "wrap party" at her house. What another thrill. Excuse me, now I need to cue up some Ellis Marsalis tunes.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:28:06 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #463 on: April 02, 2020, 03:23:13 pm »
@musiclady

It can't possibly be true,but it sure SEEMS like that entire family is musically gifted,doesn't it?

They say that music is the most frequently inherited trait, so combine that with the environment that the patriarch raised them in, and I guess the natural ability blossomed into an amazingly gifted family.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #464 on: April 02, 2020, 03:23:45 pm »
Yes, an extremely talented family. My sister had the thrill of recording with Wynton when she was attending Eastman. Afterwards, he attended a "wrap party" at her house. What a thrill. Excuse me, now I need to cue up some Ellis Marsalis tunes.

Jealous!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #465 on: April 02, 2020, 03:54:06 pm »
They say that music is the most frequently inherited trait, so combine that with the environment that the patriarch raised them in, and I guess the natural ability blossomed into an amazingly gifted family.
@musiclady

The only families in jazz I could say were equal to the Marsalises were:

The Heaths---Percy (longtime bassist with the Modern Jazz Quartet), Albert (nicknamed "Tootie"; drummer extraordinaire, who also stepped in with the MJQ after their longtime drummer Connie Kay died), and Jimmy (saxophonist).

The Jones boys---Hank (pianist), Thad (great trumpeter), and Elvin (arguably the greatest jazz drummer of the 1960s---Art Blakey and Tony Williams might have been up there with him---with and without his work in John Coltrane's "classic quartet").

RIP Ellis.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:56:13 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #466 on: April 02, 2020, 04:02:35 pm »

@musiclady

It has also GOT to be said that talent was nurtured and fed by attending church services and singing gospel music.

Nobody seems to want to admit it for some reason,but the root of ALL popular music in America today is one Protestant Church or another.

Does the name "Aretha" ring any bells?

How about "church boy" Same Cooke?

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:08:19 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #467 on: April 02, 2020, 04:06:41 pm »

Not in my family.  My brother played organ for a Lutheran Church, I can't carry a tune in a basket and flunked out of Band.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #468 on: April 02, 2020, 04:15:24 pm »
Not in my family.  My brother played organ for a Lutheran Church, I can't carry a tune in a basket and flunked out of Band.

There are exceptions to every rule.

Consider yourself exceptional.  happy77

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #469 on: April 02, 2020, 05:35:39 pm »
How about "church boy" Same Cooke?

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
@sneakypete

This was Sam Cooke in his gospel years---when he first attracted attention as the lead voice (and most popular and respected such voice) of the legendary Soul Stirrers . . .

The Soul Stirrers, "Nearer My God to Thee"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

The Soul Stirrers, "Be With Me Jesus"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

You had a point about Aretha Franklin, too. Columbia Records spent several years trying to find a way to push her but to no avail. When they dropped her, Jerry Wexler of Atlantic Records signed her up at once. Asked what he thought he could do that Columbia couldn't, Wexler laid it down flatly: "We're gonna put her back in church." Meaning he'd let Aretha do what Columbia couldn't or wouldn't---let her lean on her gospel roots. (And, give in when session musician Spooner Oldham, noticing how uncomfortable she was just singing, told Wexler, "I know you hired me to play piano but look at her. Put her at the piano and let me play the organ or the vibes or something." Bull's eye.) The rest, of course . . .

Aretha Franklin, "I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Motown did much the same thing with Gladys Knight & the Pips when they signed with the company and were put on the Soul subsidiary label. Producer/writers Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong handed them a song they'd written that played right to the Pips' gospel origins. Gladys Knight herself once said the group lived with the song for a full week, "tearing it down, doing the little things," and the result was not just their first crossover hit but just sweat right out of the classic black storefront church from opening to fade . . .

Gladys Knight & the Pips, "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #470 on: April 02, 2020, 05:59:13 pm »
@sneakypete

This was Sam Cooke in his gospel years---when he first attracted attention as the lead voice (and most popular and respected such voice) of the legendary Soul Stirrers . . .

@EasyAce

Yes,I know about the earlier years,but I figured most people would be more familiar with something spiritual (in every sense) from his later years.

Plus,it helps make the point about the origins of R&B,soul,rock and roll,blues,country,and every other form of America music coming straight out of the Protestant Churches.

BTW,I love just writing "Aretha" on posts about music because I know when the time comes that someone finally asks "Aretha who?",it's time to have dirt thrown in my face because I will have truly outlived my time.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #471 on: April 02, 2020, 06:04:57 pm »
@sneakypete

Gladys Knight & the Pips, "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"

@EasyAce

To this very day I can't make up my mind who did that song the best,Gladys,or CCR. I generally tend to lean towards CCR,but then I hear her version again,and things ain't as clear as they were before.

If you knew how big a fan of CCR I was back in those days,you would know this is saying something wonderful about Gladys Knight.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #472 on: April 02, 2020, 07:32:00 pm »
@EasyAce

To this very day I can't make up my mind who did that song the best,Gladys,or CCR. I generally tend to lean towards CCR,but then I hear her version again,and things ain't as clear as they were before.

If you knew how big a fan of CCR I was back in those days,you would know this is saying something wonderful about Gladys Knight.
@sneakypete
I'm a lifelong Creedence Clearwater Revival and John Fogerty fan, but while it was fun to hear them jam "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" in their style, it just wasn't Gladys Knight & the Pips taking it to church! Some also swear by Marvin Gaye's version, which was a bigger hit than either of those, but while I like that version I've still got to hand the trophy to Gladys and her cousins . . .

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #473 on: April 02, 2020, 08:42:48 pm »
@sneakypete
I'm a lifelong Creedence Clearwater Revival and John Fogerty fan, but while it was fun to hear them jam "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" in their style, it just wasn't Gladys Knight & the Pips taking it to church! Some also swear by Marvin Gaye's version, which was a bigger hit than either of those, but while I like that version I've still got to hand the trophy to Gladys and her cousins . . .
I agree. Like GK and the P's and MG's versions much more than CCR. I like CCR overall better than those GK and MG, but that latter two do IHITTG much better than CCR. More soul to it.
Actually, not a big fan of the song, but it's interesting to hear the difference as to how certain musicians do their versions of a particular song.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #474 on: April 02, 2020, 08:55:45 pm »
I agree. Like GK and the P's and MG's versions much more than CCR. I like CCR overall better than those GK and MG, but that latter two do IHITTG much better than CCR. More soul to it.
Actually, not a big fan of the song, but it's interesting to hear the difference as to how certain musicians do their versions of a particular song.

I liked it best when it was covered by the California Raisins.  happy77