Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95568 times)

Offline goatprairie

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #425 on: March 27, 2020, 05:51:54 pm »
The Globetrotters were famous for their ball handling antics on the court, which were at the core of their highly entertaining game.
In terms of today's 7-foot tall hard-driving NBA game, no, there is no real comparison, but the Globetrotters played what often were charity games, against teams put together from local or even school 'noteworthies', not so much professional players, at least in the context in which I saw them play. There was no shame in losing to them, and part of those ticket sales went to the cause du jour.
What they are, and ever will remain, is an excellent exhibition game team who played and were watched by a fan base for entertainment, not to make the final four in March Madness.

In a nutshell, they are fun to watch, just for the fun of it.
"In a nutshell, they are fun to watch, just for the fun of it."

yes indeed..... :beer:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #426 on: March 27, 2020, 06:03:02 pm »
Before black players were allowed in the NBA the Globies might have been the best bb team in the world.
In the late forties they beat the NBA champs Minneapolis Lakers with George Mikan on a last second shot.
When the game started the Globies were stunned to discover how quick Mikan was. They thought he was just a big oaf who scored pts on his size. Mikan scored a ton of pts in the first half of the game. In the second half the Globies ganged up on Mikan and according to ballhandling whiz Marquis Haynes, the best known Globie, "beat the hell" out of Mikan.
Mikan didn't do as well in the  second half.
Subsequent games later the Lakers won, and Abe Saperstein cancelled further games. As the fifties progressed, more and more good black players joined NBA teams rather than play with the Globies.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #427 on: March 27, 2020, 06:54:34 pm »
Before black players were allowed in the NBA the Globies might have been the best bb team in the world.
In the late forties they beat the NBA champs Minneapolis Lakers with George Mikan on a last second shot.
When the game started the Globies were stunned to discover how quick Mikan was. They thought he was just a big oaf who scored pts on his size. Mikan scored a ton of pts in the first half of the game. In the second half the Globies ganged up on Mikan and according to ballhandling whiz Marquis Haynes, the best known Globie, "beat the hell" out of Mikan.
Subsequent games later the Lakers won, and Abe Saperstein cancelled further games. As the fifties progressed, more and more good black players joined NBA teams rather than play with the Globies.
@goatprairie

Question: Name the only member of baseball's Hall of Fame to play with the Globetrotters.

Answer: Bob Gibson.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #428 on: March 27, 2020, 08:12:37 pm »
@goatprairie

Question: Name the only member of baseball's Hall of Fame to play with the Globetrotters.

Name the black athlete who if he chose basketball as his pro sport rather than baseball, very possibly could have been the first black athlete in the NBA and the best player in the league.
I think you know who I'm talking about.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #429 on: March 27, 2020, 08:17:30 pm »
Name the black athlete who if he chose basketball as his pro sport rather than baseball, very possibly could have been the first black athlete in the NBA and the best player in the league.
I think you know who I'm talking about.

Dave Winfield?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #430 on: March 27, 2020, 08:20:33 pm »
I'll guess someone like Willie Mays. Dave Winfield wasn't that long ago but maybe so. Could be anyone.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #431 on: March 27, 2020, 08:24:35 pm »
Dave Winfield?
Jackie Robinson.  Winfield was a pretty good basketball player, but Robinson, if he had entered the league in the late forties/early fifties would have been among the best athletes in the league, maybe the best. In the off-season he played semi-pro ball for the LA Red Devils a team that would occasionally play exhibition games against NBA teams and beat them.
Robinson wanted to get his team into the NBA, but LA was too far from most of the other teams, and they, the other teams,  didn't have the money for air travel.
At 5'11 Robinson was not only extra fast, he was a tremendous leaper who regularly dunked in games despite being under six feet. He was an excellent ballhandler.
He was a big star in college at UCLA in four sports. He could have been a pro football player as well.
But he chose baseball, and as they say, the rest is history.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:26:04 pm by goatprairie »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #432 on: March 27, 2020, 08:31:16 pm »
@goatprairie

@EasyAce  - I LOVED the 1951 movie about the Harlem Globetrotters.  What's your opinion on that film?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #433 on: March 27, 2020, 09:18:19 pm »
@EasyAce  - I LOVED the 1951 movie about the Harlem Globetrotters.  What's your opinion on that film?
@musiclady

If you mean The Harlem Globetrotters, I saw that and the sequel---which centered as much on founder/owner Abe Saperstein as on the team---Go, Man, Go (1954). I liked both films.

Here's a clip of the Trotters' famous warmup from the 1950s . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Did you know: Boston Celtics legend Bob Cousy, the diminutive, swift playmaker who was arguably the first true entertainer in the NBA, learned most of his trick dribbling and passing from watching and admiring Trotters legend Marquess Johnson . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #434 on: March 27, 2020, 10:23:20 pm »
@musiclady

If you mean The Harlem Globetrotters, I saw that and the sequel---which centered as much on founder/owner Abe Saperstein as on the team---Go, Man, Go (1954). I liked both films.

Here's a clip of the Trotters' famous warmup from the 1950s . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Did you know: Boston Celtics legend Bob Cousy, the diminutive, swift playmaker who was arguably the first true entertainer in the NBA, learned most of his trick dribbling and passing from watching and admiring Trotters legend Marquess Johnson . . .

I remember the Saperstein movie as well.  Liked it too!

My Dad took us to see the Globetrotters when I was a kid (late 50’s or early 60’s..... my older brothers would remember when) and I absolutely loved them!  I think that’s when my love of playing basketball took seed.

I remember Bob Cousy, but didn’t know the Globetrotter connection!

(I remember Cousy mostly because he was a teammate of Buckeye John Havlicek!  happy77)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:29:40 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #435 on: March 28, 2020, 01:06:16 am »
Correction...it was Goose Tatum, not Marquis Haynes,  who said the Globies beat the heck out of Mikan.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #436 on: March 28, 2020, 02:26:12 pm »
Former U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn dies at 72
by Chris Casteel
Published: Sat, March 28, 2020 9:06 AM

Former U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn, a physician who became a powerful force in Congress on fiscal matters, died Friday night after a long fight with prostate cancer. He was 72.

Coburn, of Muskogee, served in the Senate from 2005 to 2015 and in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1995 to 2001.

A statement from Coburn's family on Saturday morning said, "Because of his strong faith, he rested in the hope found in John chapter 11 verse 25 where Jesus said, 'I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me, will live, even though they die.' Today he lives in heaven." ...

More from the Oklahoman
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #437 on: March 28, 2020, 03:30:16 pm »
Coburn was a real Conservative.  He will be missed.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

« Reply #438 on: March 28, 2020, 04:32:48 pm »
Why Tom ‘Dr. No’ Coburn Was Truly ‘The Conscience Of The Senate’
March 28, 2020
By Katie Bailey

It is a rare political figure who was called “the conscience of the Senate” by none other than John McCain — and also forged a working friendship with a young senator from Illinois named Barack Obama. That was Tom Coburn.

The former U.S. senator from Oklahoma, who died today at age 72, was often called the Senate’s “Dr. No,” able to jam up legislation like a committee of one. But those who knew him best knew the truth: Tom Coburn was principled, not partisan.  ...

Make no mistake, he wore the moniker of Dr. No proudly. He was unabashed about fighting to preserve liberty. He felt strongly about trying to prevent the next generation of Americans from being crushed under the debt of their parents’ profligate spending. ...
Entire article at The Federalist

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #439 on: March 28, 2020, 04:42:44 pm »
Entire article at The Federalist

It is a rare political figure who was called “the conscience of the Senate” by none other than John McCain

@mountaineer

Clearly a line written for him because McLunatic was a sociopath  that had no conscience.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #440 on: March 29, 2020, 03:08:05 am »
Prayers up for Senator Coburn's friends and family! :0001:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #441 on: March 29, 2020, 11:14:16 am »
Spanish Princess Becomes the First Royal to Die of Coronavirus

Princess Maria Teresa de Borbón-Parma has become the first member of a royal family to pass away due to Coronavirus complications.

The Spanish princess' younger brother took to social media to announce the tragedy on Thursday.

"On this afternoon… our sister Maria Teresa de Borbón-Parma and Borbón Busset, victim of the coronavirus COVID-19, died in Paris at the age of eighty-six," Prince Sixtus Henry of Bourbon-Parma, the Duke of Aranjuez, said in a statement on Facebook.

According to the prince, a memorial service was held in Maria Teresa's honor on Friday in Madrid.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1135492/spanish-princess-becomes-the-first-royal-to-die-of-coronavirus-complications
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #442 on: March 29, 2020, 11:15:26 am »
Spanish Princess Becomes the First Royal to Die of Coronavirus

https://www.eonline.com/news/1135492/spanish-princess-becomes-the-first-royal-to-die-of-coronavirus-complications

It sounds like she accomplished a lot of things and had a pretty amazing life.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

« Reply #443 on: March 29, 2020, 04:58:19 pm »
Joseph Lowery, Civil Rights Activist passes away at 98 years old:

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2020/mar/29/civil-rights-icon-lowery-dies-at-98-202/?news-politics

Jan Howard, country music singer, passes away at 91.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/country/9345728/jan-howard-dead
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:20:55 pm by TomSea »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #444 on: March 29, 2020, 08:39:39 pm »
Joe Diffie
Country star of the 1990s dies at 61

Diffie's string of country hits, which carried a distinctly 1990s sensibility with a comic touch, included "Third Rock from the Sun," "John Deere Green," "Pickup Man," "Bigger than the Beatles" and "If the Devil Danced in Empty Pockets." He died March 29 from coronavirus.

Obituary from Rolling Stone

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #445 on: March 29, 2020, 09:40:25 pm »
Joe Diffie
Country star of the 1990s dies at 61

Dang it!  Pickup Man is dang near my theme song.  **nononono*

RIP Joe Diffie

Offline verga

« Reply #446 on: March 30, 2020, 12:44:15 am »
The Globetrotters were famous for their ball handling antics on the court, which were at the core of their highly entertaining game.
In terms of today's 7-foot tall hard-driving NBA game, no, there is no real comparison, but the Globetrotters played what often were charity games, against teams put together from local or even school 'noteworthies', not so much professional players, at least in the context in which I saw them play. There was no shame in losing to them, and part of those ticket sales went to the cause du jour.
What they are, and ever will remain, is an excellent exhibition game team who played and were watched by a fan base for entertainment, not to make the final four in March Madness.

In a nutshell, they are fun to watch, just for the fun of it.
I worked with a guy that was on the "Washington Generals", The trotters perennial victims. The hours and hours of practice they put into their shows. Amazing teamwork. 
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #447 on: March 30, 2020, 01:21:44 am »
I worked with a guy that was on the "Washington Generals", The trotters perennial victims. The hours and hours of practice they put into their shows. Amazing teamwork.
I saw them live twice in La Crosse, Wisconsin.
The last time I saw them was the first time I noticed that the clock never stopped.
During halftime, there was a variety of acts including an exhibition of table tennis by some professional players.  I still remember one of the players standing twenty feet back of the table yelling "get in there" as he hit a shot back.
Can't remember who won the basketball game though...... :silly:

Offline TomSea

« Reply #448 on: March 30, 2020, 12:43:59 pm »

Alan Merrill, "I Love Rock and Roll" songwriter, dies of coronavirus complications

Updated on: March 30, 2020 / 8:04 AM / CBS/AP

Alan Merrill - who co-wrote the song "I Love Rock and Roll" that became a signature hit for fellow rocker Joan Jett - died Sunday in New York of complications from the coronavirus, his daughter said. He was 69.

Laura Merrill said on her Facebook account that he died Sunday morning.

"I was given 2 minutes to say my goodbyes before I was rushed out. He seemed peaceful and as I left there was still a glimmer of hope that he wouldn't be a ticker on the right hand side of the CNN/Fox news screen," she wrote. "I walked 50 blocks home still with hope in my heart. The city that I knew was empty. I felt I was the only person here and perhaps in many ways I was. By the time I got in the doors to my apartment I received the news that he was gone."

Read more at: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alan-merrill-died-i-love-rock-and-roll-co-writer-dead-age-69-cause-of-death-coronavirus-complications/

Original,  "I Love Rock and Roll" was a B-side for the Arrows, I guess he was part of that group whom I have heard of previously.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52089768

John Prine is in critical condition per BBC article.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:21:16 pm by TomSea »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #449 on: March 30, 2020, 03:14:12 pm »
 David Schramm, Star on NBC’s ‘Wings,’ Dies at 73
Jordan Moreau
17 hrs ago

David Schramm, a stage actor who was also a star on the NBC comedy “Wings,” has died. He was 73.

Schramm was a founding member of New York’s The Acting Company, which announced the news of his death on Sunday.

He played Roy Biggins, the rival airline owner on “Wings,” and appeared in all 172 episodes between 1990 and 1997. ...

More