Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95408 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #225 on: February 18, 2020, 10:00:18 pm »
Ja'net Dubois dies at age 74: Good Times actress, two-time Emmy winner and singer passes away in her sleep
By Sarah Sotoodeh For Dailymail.com
Published: 16:32 EST, 18 February 2020 | Updated: 16:45 EST, 18 February 2020

Ja'net Dubois has died at the age of 74 at her home in Glendale, California.

The actress, who played Willona Woods on the sitcom Good Times in the seventies, died unexpectedly in her sleep overnight, TMZ reported.

Ja'net, who has three children, was most recently seen at a fan event a few weeks ago and had not complained of any ailments recently. ...More at Daily Mail

Awwww man, I liked her.  She also sang The Jefferson's theme song.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #226 on: February 18, 2020, 10:13:48 pm »
Good Times was rather silly, but I loved the Winona character.  She was tough and sassy on the outside, but inside, seemed quite vulnerable.

Rest in peace, Miss Dubois.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #227 on: February 18, 2020, 10:37:04 pm »
Ja'net was be'utiful.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #228 on: February 19, 2020, 01:09:47 am »
Ja'net was be'utiful.

Yeah. Not Bea'utiful..

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #229 on: February 19, 2020, 01:19:44 am »
Yeah. Not Bea'utiful..

That's Aunt Bee. :tongue2:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #230 on: February 19, 2020, 02:04:42 am »
That's Aunt Bee. :tongue2:
Word was Aunt Bee (Frances Bavier) did not get along with the other actors on the show.
After the end of the show Andy Griffith went and visited her and tried to make peace with her.
From what I remember Bavier apologized and said she was sorry for any problems.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2020, 03:04:22 am »
Word was Aunt Bee (Frances Bavier) did not get along with the other actors on the show.
After the end of the show Andy Griffith went and visited her and tried to make peace with her.
From what I remember Bavier apologized and said she was sorry for any problems.

My understanding was she got along with Ronny Howard, but that's about it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #232 on: February 19, 2020, 03:53:46 am »
https://www.pahomepage.com/news/lord-of-the-rings-hobbit-illustrator-dies-at-90-in-susquehanna-county/

“Lord of the Rings”, “Hobbit” Illustrator Dies at 90 in Susquehanna County

Repeating, I do see it was mentioned, here's a bit more.

Barbara Remington, Illustrator of Tolkien Book Covers, Dies at 90

Her work for the 1965 paperback editions of “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” achieved mass-cult status. But she hadn’t read the books when she got the job.

Barbara Remington designed paperback covers for all three books of “The Lord of the Rings” without having read them. “I didn’t know what they were about,” she later admitted. “I had sketchy information at best.”

By Julia Carmel

Published Feb. 15, 2020
    Updated Feb. 17, 2020

Barbara Remington, the illustrator who created the most widely recognized covers for J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy and “The Hobbit” — which she quickly executed before she even had the chance to read the books — died on Jan. 23 in Susquehanna, Pa. She was 90.

Her longtime friend John Bromberg said the cause was breast cancer.

Though the covers of the first editions of “The Lord of the Rings” had illustrations by various artists, including Tolkien himself, the ones that Ms. Remington created for the paperback versions published by Ballantine Books were the ones that achieved mass-cult status in the 1960s, particularly on college campuses.

Read more at: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/15/books/barbara-remington-dead.html

I'd think this rings a bell with a lot of people. Great art.

wikipedia

I'd like to see more of her work.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:56:40 am by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #233 on: February 19, 2020, 05:09:07 am »
Good Times was rather silly, but I loved the Willona [sic] character.  She was tough and sassy on the outside, but inside, seemed quite vulnerable.

Rest in peace, Miss Dubois.
@Applewood
Something of the soul of Good Times departed when actor John Amos (James Evans) did, but Willona was always a kick, whether snarking at the local corrupt alderman as "Balderman Davis" or accepting a cup of coffee from Florida with, "I like my coffee the way I like my men---hot, black, and strong!"

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline verga

« Reply #234 on: February 19, 2020, 12:05:23 pm »
@Applewood
Something of the soul of Good Times departed when actor John Amos (James Evans) did, but Willona was always a kick, whether snarking at the local corrupt alderman as "Balderman Davis" or accepting a cup of coffee from Florida with, "I like my coffee the way I like my men---hot, black, and strong!"
That and "Dyyy-no-Miteeee were the only jokes I recall from that show.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #235 on: February 19, 2020, 12:44:38 pm »
That and "Dyyy-no-Miteeee were the only jokes I recall from that show.

@verga

Yeah,JJ killed his career while the show was going by coming out of the closet as a Republican. Chances are he would have been fired if he weren't a key player in the show,and I don't think he has worked anywhere in show biz since it ended.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #236 on: February 19, 2020, 12:45:37 pm »
Since we were just talking about "Nurse Kellye" from M*A*S*H passing away, it may be noted that none of the actors on that show was fond of Gary Burghoff (little cuddly Radar). He was obnoxious to everyone on set, by all accounts.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #237 on: February 19, 2020, 12:53:19 pm »
Since we were just talking about "Nurse Kellye" from M*A*S*H passing away, it may be noted that none of the actors on that show was fond of Gary Burghoff (little cuddly Radar). He was obnoxious to everyone on set, by all accounts.

@mountaineer

I never thought about it,but now that you mentioned him,I don't recall ever seeing him in anything else.

Truth to tell,seems like MASH killed a few careers. Only seen one cast member from that show on any other program since it ended. I guess some of them were too old for most starring roles when it ended,plus they were probably type-cast. That seems to be the curse of successful series for acting careers.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #238 on: February 19, 2020, 02:52:23 pm »
@mountaineer

I never thought about it,but now that you mentioned him,I don't recall ever seeing him in anything else.

Truth to tell,seems like MASH killed a few careers. Only seen one cast member from that show on any other program since it ended. I guess some of them were too old for most starring roles when it ended,plus they were probably type-cast. That seems to be the curse of successful series for acting careers.
We've all the heard the stories of certain actors complaining about being typecast. For one thing, they should be happy they had the success they had given the fact that the great majority of actors never amount to anything as far as commerical success. There are far more failures in the acting profession than successes. 
You can learn a musical instrument and make money strumming your guitar on some street corner, but few actors can make money doing Shakepeare on some sidewalk.
Clayton Moore was damn happy when he got the role of The Lone Ranger and he never regretted being seen as the ultimate Lone Ranger.
And to be sure, many actors are lucky they got the one role that gave them notoriety because their actual great acting abilities they perceived themselves as having was probably not that great.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #239 on: February 19, 2020, 02:54:35 pm »
@mountaineer

Type cast? Just look at all the roles Jamie Farr was offered after MASH ended its run.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #240 on: February 19, 2020, 03:02:19 pm »
Type cast? Just look at all the roles Jamie Farr was offered after MASH ended its run.

@skeeter

I don't remember seeing him in anything.

Granted,I am not a huge movie fan,so if he got movie roles I would have easily missed them.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #241 on: February 19, 2020, 03:10:08 pm »
@skeeter

I don't remember seeing him in anything.

Granted,I am not a huge movie fan,so if he got movie roles I would have easily missed them.

Just joshin. There just aren't many roles out there for a hairy Lebanese guy in pearls and a sun dress.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #242 on: February 19, 2020, 03:41:04 pm »
Just joshin. There just aren't many roles out there for a hairy Lebanese guy in pearls and a sun dress.
Farr was in AfterMASH for two seasons. So there's that.
But you're correct....not much more when that died.
Wayne Rogers became an investing expert after his acting career petered out and was on a FOX Business News show and some other things financial-wise.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #243 on: February 19, 2020, 04:57:45 pm »
He had parts in the Cannonball Run movies, Scrooged, and off and on TV and film parts. I guess hes harder to recognize in guy clothes... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #244 on: February 19, 2020, 05:18:47 pm »
He had parts in the Cannonball Run movies, Scrooged, and off and on TV and film parts. I guess hes harder to recognize in guy clothes... :shrug:

@Smokin Joe

I bet you are too,you naughty boy!  :tongue2:

Offline verga

« Reply #245 on: February 19, 2020, 05:24:43 pm »
@mountaineer

The income they earned from the length of the show and the residuals pretty much guaranteed they would not have to work again unless they wanted to. Shows like Friends, ER, CSI, etc.... can really set their stars up for life. If they get "producer" credit like Tom Welling did for "Smallville" They never have to work again a day in their lives. Hopefully they don't drink it or put it up their noses and have good financial advisors to guide them in the right direction. Also the Coogan laws have done a great job of protecting the child stars over the years.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #246 on: February 19, 2020, 05:30:28 pm »
@Smokin Joe

I bet you are too,you naughty boy!  :tongue2:
If you ever saw me, I was either in guy clothes, or none at all.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #247 on: February 19, 2020, 06:47:36 pm »
Allowing that the show ran eleven years, there may be some truth in that. (Alan Alda and Loretta Swit were the only members of the cast to appear in every season from beginning to end.) On the other hand . . .

* Wayne Rogers (Trapper John) had the last laugh when he was sued for breach of contract upon leaving after the third season---he'd never even signed a contract. He didn't like the language of the so-called "morals" clause in the contract. He starred subsequently in the 1979-1982 television hit House Calls, before a double second career as a television and film producer/writer and investment advisor.

* McLean Stevenson (Henry Blake) was apparently miffed at not having been M*A*S*H's star and decided to leave over that and what he considered 20th Century Fox's callousness toward simple comforts on location. His subsequent run of starring turns in short-lived TV shows turned him into something of an industry gag, unfortunately, typically being the critic who once created "The Annual McLean Stevenson Memorial 'I'm Gonna Quit This Show and Become a Big Star' Award." In time, Stevenson would admit that walking away from M*A*S*H was the biggest mistake of his life.

* Gary Burghoff, possibly the single most typecast member of the M*A*S*H ensemble, left the show not because of ego or standing but because a) he felt burned out and that the long hours work on the show kept him too much from his family; and, b) he'd become close to McLean Stevenson and didn't feel comfortable working without him as the years passed since Stevenson's departure. Mike Farrell (B.J. Hunnicutt) actually tried to talk Burghoff out of leaving, unsuccessfully, even citing Stevenson's and Larry Linville's (Frank Burns) tanking post-M*A*S*H careers in his effort.

* Larry Linville (Burns) quit for, apparently, a purely character reason: he thought he'd taken Frank Burns as far as the character could go after finishing his five-year contract, even though he was offered a new deal.

* Marcia Strassman (Nurse Cutler in the first season) left when she had a shot at a new comedy in the works---Welcome Back, Kotter. (Where she was miserable thanks to a little deviousness on the part of the show's producer---he'd told Strassman and series creator/star Gabe Kaplan separately that one despised the other; only later did Strassman learn from Kaplan himself that he actually liked working with her and wanted more focus on the couple's home life on the show and thus more work for Strassman on it.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #248 on: February 19, 2020, 07:48:05 pm »
Not sure what you expected, Farr started his career about 1955 as a character actor and voice artist, Mash was his longest run in a series but after he continued working as a character and voice actor and never was a lead.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #249 on: February 19, 2020, 08:39:53 pm »
Not sure what you expected, Farr started his career about 1955 as a character actor and voice artist, Mash was his longest run in a series but after he continued working as a character and voice actor and never was a lead.

Looking over his W'pedia bio, MASH seems to have been an exception in his career, which before and since was mostly piecing together bits and pieces here and there. Probably pretty typical for a character actor. He and his wife have been married since 1963, and he's 84 or 85. He's also been a donor to the R Party.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.