Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95537 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #875 on: June 30, 2020, 04:01:47 pm »
The last thing I saw Mr Reiner in was “Two and a half Men”. He played the mother’s nonagenarian boyfriend. He was still funny.

Rest In Peace 
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #876 on: June 30, 2020, 04:08:16 pm »
Benny Mardones
One-hit wonder best known for "Into the Night" dies at 73

Obituary from Billboard

Wikipedia

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline skeeter

« Reply #877 on: June 30, 2020, 04:13:01 pm »
Benny Mardones
One-hit wonder best known for "Into the Night" dies at 73

Obituary from Billboard

Wikipedia

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
One of the oddest singles to become a hit, given the times, ever recorded.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #878 on: June 30, 2020, 04:16:20 pm »
Yet Dick van Dyke (and Kieth Richards) live.
Dick Van Dyke and Larry Mathews (who played little Richie Petrie) are now the only surviving cast members of The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Keith Richards simply doesn't realise he died circa 1972.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #879 on: June 30, 2020, 04:19:44 pm »
Dick Van Dyke and Larry Mathews (who played little Richie Petrie) are now the only surviving cast members of The Dick Van Dyke Show.

I’d forgotten about Richie...

Inside the album jacket for Exile on Main St there’s a pic of Kieth with a IV in his arm running to a Jack Daniels bottle. I thought he was joking.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #880 on: June 30, 2020, 04:28:34 pm »

Inside the album jacket for Exile on Main St there’s a pic of Kieth with a IV in his arm running to a Jack Daniels bottle. I thought he was joking.

Had to look it up, but apparently in Richards case genetic longevity is trumping lifestyle.  His mother died at age 91, father 84.

I guess he could visit the graves, but he snorted his father's ashes. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #881 on: June 30, 2020, 04:30:38 pm »
Not as odd as you think---a fair number of R&B ballads were scoring hits even at the peak of the disco era.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #882 on: June 30, 2020, 04:32:39 pm »
Had to look it up, but apparently in Richards case genetic longevity is trumping lifestyle.  His mother died at age 91, father 84.

I guess he could visit the graves, but he snorted his father's ashes.

"Keith Richards says, 'kids shouldn't do drugs'......Keith, we can't do any drugs, because you already done them all, there's none left!  We have to wait until you die, so we can smoke your ashes!" - Dennis Leary

Offline skeeter

« Reply #883 on: June 30, 2020, 04:34:55 pm »
Not as odd as you think---a fair number of R&B ballads were scoring hits even at the peak of the disco era.

I suppose so. This one smacked of Burt Bacharach to me.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #884 on: June 30, 2020, 06:26:32 pm »
One thing I remember about Into the Night -- when it first came out, a local DJ trashed it Said the song was whiny and depressing.  Wouldn't play it.  The radio station got an earful from fans of the song and it was only then he began to play it again -- with a figurative gun to his head from the station manager, no doubt.

Rest in peace, Mr. Mardones. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #885 on: June 30, 2020, 06:28:29 pm »

We poke fun at Keith, but I still say the man can play.  The Stones are all old geezers now and believe me, they are still at the top of their game.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #886 on: June 30, 2020, 06:35:20 pm »
One thing I remember about Into the Night -- when it first came out, a local DJ trashed it Said the song was whiny and depressing.  Wouldn't play it.  The radio station got an earful from fans of the song and it was only then he began to play it again -- with a figurative gun to his head from the station manager, no doubt.

Rest in peace, Mr. Mardones.

I don't recognize the song. I must be of the wrong musical era or something. Not to my taste, but ......
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #887 on: June 30, 2020, 07:03:03 pm »
We poke fun at Keith, but I still say the man can play.  The Stones are all old geezers now and believe me, they are still at the top of their game.
They should have called it a day and a career after Exile on Main Street. (The best album of their second era and their second best album behind Aftermath.) If they had, they'd have gone out in the same blaze of glory with which the Beatles went out with Abbey Road. You could pick ten random songs off any of their subsequent albums to make one passable Stones album, but that's about all.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #888 on: June 30, 2020, 08:57:35 pm »
I don't often follow such, but this time I hit the Billboard link @jmyrlefuller provided in his post, and it linked to this:
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Worth watching, an insight into the man, and I'm glad I did.

RIP Mr. Mardones
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #889 on: July 01, 2020, 03:31:19 pm »

Comedy legend Carl Reiner is dead at 98

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/comedy-legend-carl-reiner-is-dead-at-98-2020-06-30?mod=home-page

Breaking

@Gefn

I can't believe Hollyweird let a lifetime leftie die at the tender age of 98,and not call it a "tragic Cona-Virus death".

The Big Boys and Girls on the left coast will be getting some angry telephone calls from DC today.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #890 on: July 01, 2020, 03:38:43 pm »
Finding a conservative in Hollywood is a rarity.  The few that are, are dealt with in a Whack-a-Mole fashion.

@catfish1957

The last two were SNL alum who got smacked down once they got their own shows and started writing their own lines. One,whose name I will no doubt remember 15 minutes from now,has his own hit comedy sitcom in primetime,and both he and the sitcom got canceled after he appeared on the BaBa WaWa gab fest called "The View". Haven't seen him since,and I THINK that was when they stopped broadcasting it live.

Another SNL alum that virtually disappeared from sight was Garret Morris. VERY talented guy that suddenly didn't seem to be able to get a job if he worked for free. I am NOT saying he is/was a right-winger conservative Republican,but he definitely didn't drink the leftist Kool-Ade.

No,it was NOT Chevy Chase. If THAT SOB ever had any talent,it had to have been blowing the producers so he could get to head up the show.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #891 on: July 01, 2020, 03:39:08 pm »
They should have called it a day and a career after Exile on Main Street. (The best album of their second era and their second best album behind Aftermath.) If they had, they'd have gone out in the same blaze of glory with which the Beatles went out with Abbey Road. You could pick ten random songs off any of their subsequent albums to make one passable Stones album, but that's about all.

And that would pretty much be the "Some Girls" album.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #892 on: July 01, 2020, 03:40:54 pm »
Yet Dick van Dyke (and Kieth Richards) live.

@skeeter

Keef doesn't count. He NEVER counts. He is the undead. He will outlive the solar system.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #893 on: July 01, 2020, 03:43:36 pm »

@skeeter

Nope. He was  having lunch.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #894 on: July 01, 2020, 03:45:26 pm »

@Eas
R&B may occasionally go out of style in favor of something trendy,but it will never die.

Don't believe me,put on something by Jackie Wilson or Etta James the next time the grandchildren are over,and watch the look on their faces.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:47:32 pm by sneakypete »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #895 on: July 01, 2020, 03:45:55 pm »
@catfish1957

The last two were SNL alum who got smacked down once they got their own shows and started writing their own lines. One,whose name I will no doubt remember 15 minutes from now,has his own hit comedy sitcom in primetime,and both he and the sitcom got canceled after he appeared on the BaBa WaWa gab fest called "The View". Haven't seen him since,and I THINK that was when they stopped broadcasting it live.

Another SNL alum that virtually disappeared from sight was Garret Morris. VERY talented guy that suddenly didn't seem to be able to get a job if he worked for free. I am NOT saying he is/was a right-winger conservative Republican,but he definitely didn't drink the leftist Kool-Ade.

No,it was NOT Chevy Chase. If THAT SOB ever had any talent,it had to have been blowing the producers so he could get to head up the show.

@sneakypete

I know we all have our own opinion of what is funny,  but one of the funniest of my genneration is Kelsey Grammar. 

His thin resume' right now is very telling of how Hollywood deals with conservatives....   even the more talented ones.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #896 on: July 01, 2020, 04:05:55 pm »
@Eas
R&B may occasionally go out of style in favor of something trendy,but it will never die.

Don't believe me,put on something by Jackie Wilson or Etta James the next time the grandchildren are over,and watch the look on their faces.
@sneakypete
With me, you're preaching to the choir.  wink777

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #897 on: July 01, 2020, 04:07:23 pm »
I know we all have our own opinion of what is funny,  but one of the funniest of my genneration is Kelsey Grammar. 

His thin resume' right now is very telling of how Hollywood deals with conservatives....   even the more talented ones.
@catfish1957
Anyone who can make the one spin-off comedy show (Frasier) that was better than the show that birthed it (Cheers) deserves honour, not hell.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 04:08:34 pm by EasyAce »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #898 on: July 01, 2020, 04:48:38 pm »
@catfish1957

One of the best Garrett Morris skits was with Julian Bond on "Black Perspectives" when Julian talked about how lighter-skinned blacks were superior to darker-skinned blacks,  and Garret is like, "Say what?"

Another good one was when he jumped on Mick Jagger for the song "Some Girls", where the lyrics were "Black Girls just want to [have sex] all night."   

"Mr. Jagger, you have besmirched the character of Black Women, so I have just one question for you, Jaggs.........'Where are these black broads, man?'  I mean like Where are they, baby?  You got any phone numbers for me?  Please",  then he gets all serious again...'Thank you!'

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #899 on: July 01, 2020, 08:04:52 pm »
One of the best Garrett Morris skits was with Julian Bond on "Black Perspectives" when Julian talked about how lighter-skinned blacks were superior to darker-skinned blacks,  and Garret is like, "Say what?"

Another good one was when he jumped on Mick Jagger for the song "Some Girls", where the lyrics were "Black Girls just want to [have sex] all night."   

"Mr. Jagger, you have besmirched the character of Black Women, so I have just one question for you, Jaggs.........'Where are these black broads, man?'  I mean like Where are they, baby?  You got any phone numbers for me?  Please",  then he gets all serious again...'Thank you!'

@dfwgator

He always cracked me up with "updates for the deaf".