Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95542 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #825 on: June 15, 2020, 05:03:41 pm »
My mother's younger sister passed at 49.  Her father was inconsolable.  He kept saying, why didn't God take me? I'm old.  I'm ready to go. 

Hard to come up with an explanation or words of consolation. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:37:30 pm by Applewood »

Offline berdie

« Reply #826 on: June 15, 2020, 08:50:56 pm »
My mother's younger sister passed at 49.  Her father was inconsolable.  He kept saying, why didn't God tale me? I'm old.  I'm ready to go. 

Hard to come up with an explanation or words of consolation.

Having had a couple of friends in this situation, the only consolation I could come up with is that sometimes God picks his most beautiful and special flowers first. It probably didn't help at the time...maybe later?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #827 on: June 15, 2020, 10:35:04 pm »
Jean Raspail, author of one of the most prescient books of the twentieth century died on June 13 at age 94:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Raspail

Hard copies of The Camp of the Saints are growing expensive to find, even used. Amazon still sells the book in digital format, but there's no need to pay them for it.
It can be found downloadable (or readable in your browser) here:
https://www.jrbooksonline.com/PDFs/Camp_of_the_Saints.pdf

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #828 on: June 16, 2020, 03:05:55 am »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #829 on: June 18, 2020, 09:56:24 am »
Dame Vera Lynn has died at the age of 103, her family says.

Key Points:

Dame Vera Lynn died on Thursday morning 'surrounded by her close family'

She made morale-boosting visits to the front line during the Second World War

Queen referenced her song We’ll Meet Again when she spoke to the nation during the lockdown

https://news.sky.com/story/dame-vera-lynn-tributes-pour-in-as-forces-sweetheart-dies-aged-103-12009471

(Breaking)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #830 on: June 18, 2020, 09:58:40 am »
Ok. Someone has to say/quote it. It might as well be me.

“Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?....”
Pink Floyd, The Wall.

103, and a good life. Rest In Peace, Dame Vera Lynn.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #831 on: June 18, 2020, 12:11:20 pm »
Ok. Someone has to say/quote it. It might as well be me.

“Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?....”
Pink Floyd, The Wall.

103, and a good life. Rest In Peace, Dame Vera Lynn.

@Gefn

At 103,she was probably needing the rest and looking forward to it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #832 on: June 18, 2020, 12:35:17 pm »
@Gefn

At 103,she was probably needing the rest and looking forward to it.

103 is a good long life. Amen @sneakypete

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #833 on: June 18, 2020, 02:42:41 pm »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #834 on: June 18, 2020, 02:56:16 pm »
Jean Kennedy Smith
Last of the Kennedy siblings dies at 92

Kennedy Smith was arguably the most obscure of the nine children of Joseph Kennedy, Sr. Lacking the high profile political positions of her brothers John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy or Ted Kennedy, or the tragic outcomes of JFK, RFK, brother Joseph Jr. and sister Kathleen Cavendish, Jean Kennedy Smith largely kept a moderately low profile as a political operative for her brothers, as a philanthropist for those with special needs (her organization VSA focused on arts, as opposed to her sister Eunice, whose Special Olympics focused on athletics), and during Bill Clinton's administration, ambassador to Ireland.

Smith died June 17.

Obituary from the CBC

Wikipedia

Offline Applewood

« Reply #835 on: June 18, 2020, 10:17:40 pm »
Yeah I heard all the stories about the Kennedys and their corruption, starting with that miserable old man Joe.  But I admired President Kennedy and was ok with his brother, Robert, the AG.  Sure they were Democrats, but they were patriots.   Most Democrats in their day were.   I'd like to think they would be appalled by what their party has become today.   Well, maybe except for that a-hole, Ted.

Really didn't know much about Mrs. Smith -- as the obituary says, she kept a low profile politically, preferring to focus on charitable endeavors.    But with Mrs. Smith gone, we have the last of her generation of Kennedys -- the patriotic generation which served the nation.  Now we are stuck with the kids and grandkids -- spoiled, selfish, hedonistic brats with not a working brain cell among them. 

Rest in peace. Mrs. Smith.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #836 on: June 18, 2020, 10:30:24 pm »
Yeah I heard all the stories about the Kennedys and their corruption, starting with that miserable old man Joe.  But I admired President Kennedy and was ok with his brother, Robert, the AG.  Sure they were Democrats, but they were patriots.   Most Democrats in their day were.   I'd like to think they would be appalled by what their party has become today.   Well, maybe except for that a-hole, Ted.

Really didn't know much about Mrs. Smith -- as the obituary says, she kept a low profile politically, preferring to focus on charitable endeavors.    But with Mrs. Smith gone, we have the last of her generation of Kennedys -- the patriotic generation which served the nation.  Now we are stuck with the kids and grandkids -- spoiled, selfish, hedonistic brats with not a working brain cell among them. 
We were---every one of us---raised to be the President.---Chris Lawford.

Rest in peace. Mrs. Smith.
For her work with the disabled---she approached them from the artistic vantage point as her late sister Eunice did the athletic---I had nothing but admiration for her.

RIP.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #837 on: June 19, 2020, 12:16:40 am »
Yeah I heard all the stories about the Kennedys and their corruption, starting with that miserable old man Joe.  But I admired President Kennedy and was ok with his brother, Robert, the AG.  Sure they were Democrats, but they were patriots. 

@Applewood

Sure thing. All you have to do is set aside the fact they were behind the death of Marylin Monroe,and Bobby used his position to kick off the race wars on the 60's by sending trained and paid communist agitators to the south to organize the blacks and get them to riot.

Oh,and let's not forget JKF's associating with Nazi agents in the early days of WW-2 ,his daddy being fired from being the Ambassador to the Court of St James in England after it was discovered he was sending war plans to the IRA to pass on to the Nazi's)

Little things,like that.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #838 on: June 19, 2020, 12:24:23 am »
@Applewood

Sure thing. All you have to do is set aside the fact they were behind the death of Marylin Monroe,and Bobby used his position to kick off the race wars on the 60's by sending trained and paid communist agitators to the south to organize the blacks and get them to riot.

Oh,and let's not forget JKF's associating with Nazi agents in the early days of WW-2 ,his daddy being fired from being the Ambassador to the Court of St James in England after it was discovered he was sending war plans to the IRA to pass on to the Nazi's)

Little things,like that.

@sneakypete

I knew you would be along with your endless conspiracy theories about the Kennedys.  Question is, what took you so long?  LOL

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #839 on: June 19, 2020, 02:19:14 am »
@sneakypete

I knew you would be along with your endless conspiracy theories about the Kennedys.  Question is, what took you so long?  LOL

@Applewood

Only a clueless drone would confuse historical FACT with theories.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #840 on: June 19, 2020, 09:19:22 am »
@Applewood

Only a clueless drone would confuse historical FACT with theories.

@sneakypete

Well, I'd argue with you about that, but I think this running thread is meant to announce the passing of important persons and to honor them, not to have a political debate.  As the article says, Mrs. Smith stayed out of the political limelight, so I doubt she was directly involved in any Kennedy wrongdoing.  I already said too much about the Kennedys.  I'd rather drop the rest and just say RIP.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #841 on: June 19, 2020, 12:24:23 pm »
Ian Holm, star of Lord of the Rings, Alien and Chariots of Fire, dies aged 88
 Andrew Pulver
Fri 19 Jun 2020 07.32 EDT
Last modified on Fri 19 Jun 2020 08.11 EDT

Ian Holm, the versatile actor who played everything from androids to hobbits via Harold Pinter and King Lear, has died in London aged 88, his agent confirmed to the Guardian.

“It is with great sadness that the actor Sir Ian Holm CBE passed away this morning at the age of 88,” they said. “He died peacefully in hospital, with his family and carer,” adding that his illness was Parkinson’s related. “Charming, kind and ferociously talented, we will miss him hugely.”

Holm’s final days were documented in a series of pastel portraits by his wife, Sophie de Stempel.

Holm, who won a Bafta and was nominated for an Oscar for his role as maverick athletics coach Sam Mussabini in the 1981 film Chariots of Fire, may have looked destined for a career in colourful supporting roles on screen – especially after quitting the theatre in 1976 after a severe case of stage fright – but he found a new generation of admirers after being cast as Bilbo Baggins in the blockbusting Lord of the Rings trilogy. ...

The Guardian
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #842 on: June 19, 2020, 12:58:03 pm »
@sneakypete

Well, I'd argue with you about that, but I think this running thread is meant to announce the passing of important persons and to honor them, not to have a political debate. As the article says, Mrs. Smith stayed out of the political limelight, so I doubt she was directly involved in any Kennedy wrongdoing.  I already said too much about the Kennedys.  I'd rather drop the rest and just say RIP.

@Applewood

ALL of the Kennedy women were nothing more than political accessories,so they were and are all blameless of anything more that marrying criminal idiots and traitors.

And I seriously doubt any of them had the first clue as to what was going on because in that family,only males were important.

Offline Mod2

« Reply #843 on: June 19, 2020, 01:10:09 pm »
 :im waiting: This isn't the Alternate Realities forum. :im waiting:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #844 on: June 19, 2020, 01:43:25 pm »
Sorry @Mod2

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #845 on: June 19, 2020, 02:01:08 pm »
Sorry @Mod2.

No need to apologize for getting the thread back on track.

I'm sorry to hear Bilbo has passed....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #846 on: June 19, 2020, 05:53:18 pm »
Ian Holm, star of Lord of the Rings, Alien and Chariots of Fire, dies aged 88
 Andrew Pulver
Fri 19 Jun 2020 07.32 EDT
Last modified on Fri 19 Jun 2020 08.11 EDT

Ian Holm, the versatile actor who played everything from androids to hobbits via Harold Pinter and King Lear, has died in London aged 88, his agent confirmed to the Guardian.

“It is with great sadness that the actor Sir Ian Holm CBE passed away this morning at the age of 88,” they said. “He died peacefully in hospital, with his family and carer,” adding that his illness was Parkinson’s related. “Charming, kind and ferociously talented, we will miss him hugely.”

Holm’s final days were documented in a series of pastel portraits by his wife, Sophie de Stempel.

Holm, who won a Bafta and was nominated for an Oscar for his role as maverick athletics coach Sam Mussabini in the 1981 film Chariots of Fire, may have looked destined for a career in colourful supporting roles on screen – especially after quitting the theatre in 1976 after a severe case of stage fright – but he found a new generation of admirers after being cast as Bilbo Baggins in the blockbusting Lord of the Rings trilogy. ...

The Guardian

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #847 on: June 19, 2020, 10:19:06 pm »
No need to apologize for getting the thread back on track.

I'm sorry to hear Bilbo has passed....
Me, too. He did that part so well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #848 on: June 21, 2020, 11:53:36 am »
Jim Kiick
Miami Dolphins halfback dies at 73

🐬21
Kiick's jersey number with the Miami Dolphins

Kiick was best known as the tandem partner of Larry Csonka, the Hall of Fame fullback. The two were first paired together in 1968 and the two were inseparable for the next eight seasons, playing seven with the Miami Dolphins (including their three straight Super Bowl appearances, including two wins and their still-unmatched perfect season of 1972). In 1975 they jumped to the World Football League with the Memphis Southmen, but this turned out to be the beginning of the end of their run: after the New York Giants signed Csonka but not Kiick, the two split in different directions, with Kiick finishing his career with stints in Denver and Washington.

Kiick died June 20 following several years of dementia.

Obituary from the South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Wikipedia

Career stats
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 11:54:22 am by jmyrlefuller »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #849 on: June 23, 2020, 01:19:14 pm »
Liz Hurley pays tribute to her millionaire ex Steve Bing, 55 - the absent father of her son Damian, 18 - after he jumped to his death from his 27th floor LA apartment and reveals they had become friends again in the last year
    Steve Bing killed himself Monday by jumping from the 27th floor of his LA apartment amid a depression battle
    Liz Hurley, who he dated from 2000 until 2002 when she fell pregnant with their son sparking a bitter paternity fight, has paid tribute - saying she is 'saddened beyond belief' and calling him a 'sweet, kind man'
    She revealed that the pair had become close again, and last spoke on son Damian's 18th birthday in April
    Bing was also involved in paternity fight over daughter Kira Kerkorian, his child with tennis star Lisa Bonder
    A real estate heir who inherited $600m on his 18th birthday, Bing was also a movie writer and producer
    Bing was thought to be worth $590m when he died, and had paid $100k-a-year into a trust fund for Damian
    Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19

By Chris Pleasance for MailOnline and Kelby Vera and Harriet Alexander For Dailymail.com
Published: 21:04 EDT, 22 June 2020 | Updated: 08:53 EDT, 23 June 2020

Liz Hurley has paid tribute to her multimillionaire ex Steve Bing - the father of her son Damian – after he jumped to his death from the 27th floor of his Los Angeles apartment block amid a battle with depression.

The British actress, 55, said she was 'saddened beyond belief' at the news of his suicide, at the luxurious Ten Thousand Building at 1pm on Monday, calling it a 'terrible end'.

The real estate heir, also 55 and thought to be worth $590million at the time of his death, took his own life having become depressed amid a lack of human contact during lockdown, sources told TMZ.  ...
Daily Mail

From the story: "Former president Bill Clinton, a friend of Bing and recipient of his donations via the Clinton Foundation, also paid tribute to him, tweeting: 'I loved Steve Bing very much.'"
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org