Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95528 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2020, 04:20:22 pm »
We've lost two the best drummers of all time in the past few months: Neil and Ginger Baker.

Another drum-great, Steve Gadd is 74, though he is still active.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2020, 12:21:26 am »
Peart and Rush were very intwined with my teenage and college years.

One of, if not the best drummer that ever lived.

Peart was the best ever, of all time.  Sadness.  I was a big Rush fan early on, too.  Their '82 Jackson, MS concert was phenomenal.  Played La Villa Strangiata as an encore.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2020, 02:05:18 am »
Peart was the best ever, of all time.  Sadness.  I was a big Rush fan early on, too.  Their '82 Jackson, MS concert was phenomenal.  Played La Villa Strangiata as an encore.

@Hoodat

Same here.  Was  a fan even back in about '74/'75  when they were getting air play on KAAY Beaker Street in Little Rock.  Remember that late night station?  Peart's death made me go back search for my ticket to sadly the one only time I saw them.   And I did find the ticket stub.....  It was on April 5, 1982 in Lake Charles, Louisana.  So we basically probably saw the same tour. 

Always planned but never got around to seeing them again in Houston, Now, I never will.  Know I am still badly bummed over this 3 days now.  Geez, they were a phenomenol band.  What a loss.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2020, 02:11:15 am »
For you, @catfish1957

In the End

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2020, 02:27:01 am »
And it is "Sir" Roger Scruton and even a number of Americans have given tribute to him, a "conservative" and Knighted also.

Roger Scruton, advocate for aesthetic beauty and conservative British philosopher, dead at 75
by Allison Elyse Gualtieri | January 12, 2020 05:29 PM

Roger Scruton, a conservative intellectual and British philosopher, has died at the age of 75.

Scruton, who had announced last year he was suffering from cancer, was a prolific author, writing more than 50 nonfiction books on topics ranging from aesthetics and politics to wine and music, as well as novels and operas.

An announcement posted to his website Sunday said that he died peacefully after his six-month battle.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/roger-scruton-advocate-for-aesthetic-beauty-and-conservative-british-philosopher-dead-at-75

His website: https://roger-scruton.com/

wikipedia:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Scruton

Rest in peace, I get it that he is a "conservative" but I'm not positive if he is in the way many of us see things...I'd really have to look into it, maybe Maggie liked him.  He got knighted by the Queen.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2020, 12:52:06 pm »
Liang Jun: China's first female tractor driver, and national icon, dies

She was immortalised in China's one yuan banknotes

A woman who became China's first female tractor driver, and eventually a national icon, has died at the age of 90.

In 1948, Liang Jun became the only female in China to take up the job, when she enrolled in a training class for tractor drivers.

More than a decade later, an image of her proudly driving a tractor was featured on China's one-yuan banknote.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51116035

A bit interesting though, it was for the Communists.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2020, 01:40:18 pm »
A bit interesting though, it was for the Communists.

Very interesting, and a pretty bank note.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2020, 03:33:05 pm »
@TomSea I’m going to respectfully disagree. Just because no one here has talked about it, doesn’t mean they suffer from Churchill’s black dog.

@Gefn @TomSea

EXACTLY! How can ANY thinking person NOT go through bouts of depression? Most of us are just fortunate enough to understand we don't need to obsess over it,and that there is hope on the other side.

In FACT,I will even go so far as to make the claim that anybody who has never had a bout of depression has a IQ so low they aren't aware such a thing exists.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2020, 03:41:43 pm »
Edd Byrnes, the man who introduced "hair power" to television, got the teenyboppers of the time hooked but good, and helped put ABC on the map as a television network (along with such stuff as Maverick and The Donna Reed Show) after spending most of the 1950s in search of an audience that mostly preferred copping Zs to ABC.

RIP Kookie.

@EasyAce

Am I the only one that watched that show to get a look at the T-Bucket with the Cadillac engine he drove? AFAIAC,that 50's hot rod was the star of the show,and the only time I paid any attention to the show was when it was seen on camera.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2020, 03:58:53 pm »

In 1948, Liang Jun became the only female in China to take up the job, when she enrolled in a training class for tractor drivers.

Jesus! How freaking stupid did you have to be to have to take classes to figure out how to drive a 1948 model tractor?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2020, 04:10:12 pm »
Jesus! How freaking stupid did you have to be to have to take classes to figure out how to drive a 1948 model tractor?

You have to remember, it was a Chinese tractor. Also, maybe the folks in the rural areas weren't exposed to some of the more modern technology.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2020, 04:45:32 pm »
You have to remember, it was a Chinese tractor. Also, maybe the folks in the rural areas weren't exposed to some of the more modern technology.

@TomSea

It's more related to the Chinese mindset than anything else.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2020, 05:20:58 pm »
@EasyAce

Am I the only one that watched that show to get a look at the T-Bucket with the Cadillac engine he drove? AFAIAC,that 50's hot rod was the star of the show,and the only time I paid any attention to the show was when it was seen on camera.
@sneakypete

The guys probably watched the car and the girls watched Byrnes.

Me, my favourite thing about the car was the song it eventually inspired . . .

Jan & Dean, "Bucket T"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I thought and still think that the snazziest ride on television was the Green Hornet's Black Beauty in 1966-67. (But then I had a good reason to admire the Green Hornet himself---he was the only crimefighter/superhero of his time who didn't run around in his underwear . . . )

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2020, 05:40:55 pm »
Pretty smart, if you ask me. Beats spending your years bent over shin deep in rice paddy water.

I'd bet most of the ordinary folks there hadn't even seen a tractor until the Japanese invaded, if then.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2020, 05:42:56 pm »
@sneakypete

I thought and still think that the snazziest ride on television was the Green Hornet's Black Beauty in 1966-67. (But then I had a good reason to admire the Green Hornet himself---he was the only crimefighter/superhero of his time who didn't run around in his underwear . . . )

@EasyAce

I never even heard of that show. I bet I didn't watch 10 hours of tv in the 10 years of the 70's,and that was by accident when I went to visit friends that had their tv's on. Even then I would leave if they started to watch another show.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2020, 06:12:42 pm »
Dean Torrence still  lives in Surf City

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2020, 11:48:24 am »
Rocky Johnson, WWE Hall of Famer and father of 'The Rock,' dies at 75

Rocky Johnson, father of "The Rock" and a legendary professional wrestler in his own right, has died, WWE announced Wednesday. He was 75.

Johnson, born in Nova Scotia, Canada, held several National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) singles titles across the United States and Canada during a career that spanned from 1964 to 1991. He was a part of the first black tag team to win the then-WWF world tag team title with Tony Atlas in 1983.

Johnson was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2008. He was inducted into the St. Louis Wrestling Hall of Fame in the same year.

No cause of death was released.

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/28492121/rocky-johnson-wwe-hall-famer-father-rock-dies-75

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2020, 11:50:27 am »
I know this isn’t a normal obit, but it’s our national bird  :patriot:

Offspring of Popular Eagle Cam Birds Dies in Florida Ranch

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) — The offspring of two bald eagles observed on a popular live webcam has died in a Florida ranch.

The Southwest Florida Eagle Cam said Wednesday in a Facebook post that an eaglet of Harriet and M15 died.

The post did not specify how the eaglet named E14 died, but it said the bird was observed bleeding Tuesday and died overnight. The cam was moved away from the nest Wednesday as the eaglet was being eaten.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/florida/articles/2020-01-15/offspring-of-popular-eagle-cam-birds-dies-in-florida-ranch

Offline Applewood

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2020, 12:49:44 pm »
Poor little one.  It will soar into the heavens now.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2020, 01:03:21 pm »
@EasyAce

I never even heard of that show. I bet I didn't watch 10 hours of tv in the 10 years of the 70's,and that was by accident when I went to visit friends that had their tv's on. Even then I would leave if they started to watch another show.

@sneakypete

Check this out, Green Hornet, I think actually the 1960s, if I'm not mistaken it ran on ABC when Batman was running too.

"Let's roll Keto", the chauffeur on the Green Hornet was none other than Bruce Lee.

Funny how 'Batman' became a big show in syndication with reruns... but not the 'Green Hornet'. Youtube probably has some on it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 01:04:17 pm by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2020, 04:31:21 pm »
@sneakypete

Check this out, Green Hornet, I think actually the 1960s, if I'm not mistaken it ran on ABC when Batman was running too.

"Let's roll Keto", the chauffeur on the Green Hornet was none other than Bruce Lee.

Funny how 'Batman' became a big show in syndication with reruns... but not the 'Green Hornet'. Youtube probably has some on it.

@TomSea

I stopped watching tv in Jan of 64,when I joined the army. It wasn't intentional,but it worked out that I didn't have the time because tv would have cut into my drinking and chasing women time,which I didn't have enough of anyhow. Plus at that time there were no tv's allowed in barracks,and you had to go to the Day Room to watch the one tv allowed,and it seemed like it was always some sort of sports program on. I loved playing sports,but hated watching it.

As for Batman,Batman creeped me out. I KNEW that SOB was a homo child-molester before I even knew what a homo or a child-molestor was. After all,what grown man runs around in rubber tights and mask,accompanied by his teen-age "male companion" that wears yellow drawers on the outside? SOB was so light in the loafers it's a wonder he didn't float away.  I got all that from the very first Batman comic book I bought when I was maybe 6-8 years old,and had and still have zero interest in watching that fairy flounce around.

Had never heard the term or knew what S&M was when I was a small child either,but I knew instinctively that he and "Robin" were a matching pair. Just creeped me the hell out.

Never understood how anybody else missed picking up on him being a perve,either.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:33:34 pm by sneakypete »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2020, 05:03:29 pm »
Last night my mother died, as she desired, at her home under paliative hospice care.  She turned 95 on Jan. 2nd. She lived 23 years after her husband died (my father).

She was born in Ithaca NY, but moved to SoCal at age 3.

Her father grew up in Minneapolis, fought in WWI in France. Her mother was a college botany professor during the 1920s in NY.

In 1928 three generations moved to SoCal, my mother, her parents, and her father's parents.

They wound up settling on a walnut orchard in Whittier Calif.

She went through school in Whittier, including graduation from Whittier College with a BS in chemistery.

She met my father during WWII at a USO dance in Oceanside Calif, where he served in the US Marines.

After the ar aand marriage, they trekked aroung Utah, Wyoming, Colorado before returning to SoCal

They had 5 children, four still living. Eight grandchildren, s few more greatgrandchildren. 

She will be interned at Rose Hills, Whittier California. With her grandparents, parents, a baby sister, Aunt, husband, one son.

My youngest sister has been her caregiver, and we owe much gratitude to her.

My home has been the site of many years of family holidays, for both my side, and my wife's side (her mother died 2 1/2 years ago.

Good bye Mom. God bless.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2020, 05:15:51 pm »
My deepest condolences, I am sorry to hear this.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2020, 05:23:10 pm »
@truth_seeker

May your Mom rest in the peace of Christ.  And may God comfort you and your family.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2020, 05:24:21 pm »
Last night my mother died, as she desired, at her home under paliative hospice care.  She turned 95 on Jan. 2nd. She lived 23 years after her husband died (my father).

@truth_seeker

Sounds like she had a good life. Celebrate that.