Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95480 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2020, 04:12:37 pm »
@Smokin Joe

I have to admit when I first saw your avatar I thought it was a subway tunnel with a train whistling in toward the next station!

(Sorry---I grew up in and around New York City and I'll always have sweet memories of how much fun I had on the subways in those years, whether it was catching one off the Long Island Rail Road terminal in Manhattan to head up back to the Bronx to visit my grandparents or roaming around the city hunting things like a couple of museums, a couple of book and music stores I loved, the Fillmore East and one or two jazz clubs, and Shea Stadium . . . )
Although cities aren't my bag, to each their own!

Actually, it is sunlight shining in the west end of the Allegheny Tunnel on I-70 in PA, image taken by my granddaughter.

I'm glad it reminded you of happy times, though, wherever you were!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 09:20:35 pm »
That prozac nation sounds like a good book. I know nobody here, has probably gone through real depression.

@TomSea

I went through a major depression when my Dad died.  At the time, I saw a therapist, who prescribed Prozac.  Prozac helped at first -- evened me out -- but eventually, it just made me sleepy and no longer helped the depression.  I ditched the meds and changed to a grief counselor.  That gal was wonderful and helped me a lot.  I didn't need meds. 

I still go through a seasonal downer every winter, but I solved that by heading to Florida twice during the season.   happy77

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2020, 10:11:02 pm »
@TomSea

I went through a major depression when my Dad died.  At the time, I saw a therapist, who prescribed Prozac.  Prozac helped at first -- evened me out -- but eventually, it just made me sleepy and no longer helped the depression.  I ditched the meds and changed to a grief counselor.  That gal was wonderful and helped me a lot.  I didn't need meds. 

I still go through a seasonal downer every winter, but I solved that by heading to Florida twice during the season.   happy77

I fixed it 40 years ago when I moved to Phoenix.  happy77
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2020, 10:37:49 pm »
I fixed it 40 years ago when I moved to Phoenix.  happy77

Smart fellow.  I keep telling my friends and family that if I had the dough, I would get a condo in Clearwater Beach and become a part-time resident for several months out of the year.  Alas, I'm not wealthy, don't know any rich person who will leave me a bundle and I suck at playing the lottery.  So I stay in western PA.  LOL

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2020, 12:44:10 pm »
Buck Henry, screenwriter of The Graduate, Get Smart co-creator, and SNL legend, is dead at 89

Over a long and storied career in TV and film, Buck Henry co-created the TV show Get Smart with Mel Brooks, wrote the screenplay for The Graduate (1967), played Tina Fey's father on 30 Rock, and hosted Saturday Night Live 10 times in its first five seasons, playing several memorable roles. Henry died Wednesday at age 89. His wife, Irene Ramp, said the cause was a heart attack.

Henry, born Henry Zuckerman in 1930, was the son of a prominent stockbroker and silent film star Ruth Taylor. The Graduate, directed by his childhood friend Mike Nichols, was Henry's first screenwriting job. It got him the first of two Oscar nominations, followed by a directing nod for the 1978 Warren Beatty movie Heaven Can Wait. Henry also wrote scripts for 1968's Candy, Nichols' 1970 adaptation of Catch-22, the hit Barbra Streisand comedy What's Up, Doc? (1972), and 1995's To Die For, starring Nicole Kidman. He won a writing Emmy in 1967 for a double episode of Get Smart.

Nichols wrote himself small roles in many of his movies and often played wry straight men on TV, as in his recurring SNL role alongside John Belushi's Samurai character.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/888452/buck-henry-screenwriter-graduate-smart-cocreator-snl-legend-dead-89
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2020, 12:58:46 pm »
Buck Henry did some great stuff.  Rest in peace. 

The Cone of Silence:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline verga

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2020, 01:37:53 pm »
Buck Henry, screenwriter of The Graduate, Get Smart co-creator, and SNL legend, is dead at 89
RIP he was a genius.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2020, 02:05:39 am »
Edd Byrnes
1950s teen idol dies at 87

Byrnes was best known for playing the role of hipster investigator Gerald "Kookie" Kookson, who always had the word on the street, on the hit detective drama 77 Sunset Strip. His career took a nosedive after that as Byrne was typecast; he kept afloat through working on spaghetti westerns in the 1960s. In 1974, Byrnes's drunkenness and inability to remember his vowels cost him the hosting gig for Wheel of Fortune. His last major role came as Vince Fontaine, the fast-talking DJ from Grease, when it was made into a film (the musical had written the role as a 19-year-old but, eager to exploit 50s nostalgia, was written as an older character to allow old 50s stars like Byrnes to be cast). Minor film and television roles dotted the rest of his career.

Obituary from The Hollywood Reporter

Wikipedia

IMDB

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2020, 02:37:20 am »
"Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2020, 03:34:40 am »
Edd Byrnes, the man who introduced "hair power" to television, got the teenyboppers of the time hooked but good, and helped put ABC on the map as a television network (along with such stuff as Maverick and The Donna Reed Show) after spending most of the 1950s in search of an audience that mostly preferred copping Zs to ABC.

RIP Kookie.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 03:37:14 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2020, 04:04:07 am »
Edd Byrnes with Beaver Cleaver's favourite teacher from a 77 Sunset Strip episode . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2020, 05:55:50 am »

Offline Millee

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod

Offline Applewood

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2020, 09:24:33 pm »
 8888crybaby

Rest in peace. Mr. Peart.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2020, 09:28:00 pm »
Rush drummer Neil Peart dead at 67

Brain cancer.  **nononono*

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/neil-peart-obit-1.5422806?fbclid=IwAR3P01SdgT5X3ufGwB0xqIGCPEm25FZ6ZjJoO8dJ5FqQg5lx-MA9eVTAGEk

Oh man this is an unpleasant surprise. RIP to an awesome musician and tragic figure.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2020, 09:44:58 pm »
Rush drummer Neil Peart dead at 67

Brain cancer.  **nononono*

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/neil-peart-obit-1.5422806?fbclid=IwAR3P01SdgT5X3ufGwB0xqIGCPEm25FZ6ZjJoO8dJ5FqQg5lx-MA9eVTAGEk

This is the most  awful of news. Rush has forvever been my favorite band....   3 Rock deaths have blindsided me....

Lennon in '80, Tom Petty a few years ago, and now this.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2020, 09:48:47 pm »
This is the most  awful of news. Rush has forvever been my favorite band....   3 Rock deaths have blindsided me....

Lennon in '80, Tom Petty a few years ago, and now this.

@catfish1957

Did you read my mind? Exact feelings, but I think Lennon was the most shocking because of how he died.

Putting on my “Vapor Trails” cd.  888cryingkitty
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:58:51 pm by Gefn »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2020, 09:59:24 pm »
@catfish1957

Did you read my mind? Exact feelings, but I think Lennon was the most shocking because of how he died.

This clip sums up alot of Rush fans. 

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2020, 10:25:18 pm »
@catfish1957

Putting on my “Vapor Trails” cd.  888cryingkitty
@Gefn

A sad number of music legends have been murdered. Including but not limited to:

Robert Johnson---blues legend, poisoned, 1938 I believe.
Chanzo Pozo---percussionist who helped bring Afro-Latin rhythms to jazz with Dizzy Gillespie in the 1940s.
John Lee Williamson (aka Sonny Boy Williamson I)---shot to death, 1948.
Scrapper Blackwell---bluesman, shot to death, 1962.
Sam Cooke---murdered with an ice pick, 1964.
Bobby Fuller ("I Fought the Law")---found dead and assumed murdered, crime never solved, 1964.
James (Shep) Sheppard, Shep & the Limelites ("Daddy's Home")---murdered in 1970; his body was left in his car on the Long Island Expressway after he was attacked during a robbery; like Fuller, his murder remains unsolved otherwise.
King Curtis---R&B saxophonist; stabbed to death, 1971.
Lee Morgan---jazz trumpeter ("The Sidewinder"); shot to death, 1972.
Al Jackson, Jr.---R&B drummer (anchored Booker T. & the MGs and boatloads of sessions for Stax/Volt and Hi Records in Memphis); stabbed to death but the killer was never found.
Felix Pappalardi---producer (most famously for Cream); bassist-composer (Mountain); shot to death in 1983.
Marvin Gaye---R&B giant; shot to death, 1983.
Jaco Pastorius---jazz bassist; beaten to death, 1987.
Tupac Shakur---rapper; shot to death, 1996.
Biggie Smalls (The Notorious B.I.G.)---rapper; shot to death, 1997.
Jaki Byard---jazz pianist; shot to death, unsolved, 1999.
Dimebag Darrell (Darrell Abbott)---guitarist/songwriter, Pantera/Damageplan; shot to death on stage, 2004.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2020, 10:34:16 pm »
Peart and Rush were very intwined with my teenage and college years.

One of, if not the best drummer that ever lived.

RIP, and thanks for all the memories.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2020, 10:48:31 pm »
This is song that introduced me to Rush way back in 1978. And I have a big fan ever since. Neal Peart was not only one of the greatest drummers of all time but also a brilliant lyricist.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_D0wkLyCXE

There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas
The trouble with the maples
And they're quite convinced they're right
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade?
There is trouble in the forest
And the creatures all have fled
As the maples scream 'oppression!'
And the oaks, just shake their heads
So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights
'The oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light'
Now there's no more oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet,
Axe,
And saw

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2020, 12:38:45 am »
Moderate, you can see, he met with Netanyahu, Netanyahu was invited to Oman.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

The Sultan of Oman, Qaboos bin Said al Said, has died, state media says
Saturday 11 January 2020 00:31, UK

The Sultan of Oman has died

The Sultan of Oman, Qaboos bin Said al Said, has died, according to the country's state media.

The 79-year-old was the longest serving leader in the Middle East, having ruled the country since 1970 after taking over the leadership in a peaceful coup.

There had been concern over his health in recent weeks, and had reportedly been in Belgium for treatment.

State media said that Sultan Qaboos passed away early on Saturday morning.

Continued at: https://news.sky.com/story/the-sultan-of-oman-qaboos-bin-said-al-said-has-died-state-media-says-11905873

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2020, 01:51:18 am »
Peart and Rush were very intwined with my teenage and college years.

One of, if not the best drummer that ever lived.

RIP, and thanks for all the memories.

We've lost two the best drummers of all time in the past few months: Neil and Ginger Baker.