Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95583 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #1375 on: November 08, 2020, 06:15:54 pm »
I’m so bummed but I guess I’ll take “ I know who just  got into heaven for 400”

8888crybaby

"Nice of you to join me, Trebek!"

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #1376 on: November 08, 2020, 06:22:38 pm »
I'll take Rest in Peace and Godspeed for $2,000, Alex.

He looked to be doing well enough right up through the most recent episodes just this Friday (which I presume are recorded a few months' ahead of time).

Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune have become the only things I'll turn on the tv for for the last few years. No matter who is found to replace him (if they continue the show), it will just never seem the same.

A short time back, within the last couple of weeks, there was a Jeopardy! topic with clues hosted by Ken Jennings. After the category was finished, Alex faked a look back over his shoulder with a quip about his space being filled. Perhaps he knew his time was growing short.

"All the Daily Doubles are done".

Offline berdie

« Reply #1377 on: November 08, 2020, 06:22:56 pm »
He fought a good fight. I'll miss him greatly.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1378 on: November 08, 2020, 06:26:28 pm »
Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune have become the only things I'll turn on the tv for for the last few years. No matter who is found to replace him (if they continue the show), it will just never seem the same.

They said the same thing about Art Fleming.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #1379 on: November 08, 2020, 06:29:59 pm »
https://www.tmz.com/2020/11/08/alex-trebek-jeopardy-host-dead-dies-stage-4-pancreatic-cancer/

ALEX TREBEK
DEAD AT 80

Photo gallery (30 images):
https://www.tmz.com/photos/2011/08/11/3896-alex-trebek-the-man-behind-the-moustache/

The TV icon had been battling stage 4 pancreatic cancer since announcing the news back in March 2019. He immediately started chemo after the diagnosis but made no plans to retire and continued hosting his game show ... as impressively as ever.

Trebek powered through for a full year -- despite what he called "massive attacks of great depression that made me wonder if it was really worth fighting on" -- because he said he realized giving up on life would be a betrayal to his wife, God and other cancer patients.

He pointed out the odds of surviving a second year with pancreatic cancer were just 7 percent, but he hoped he'd be able to celebrate that milestone too. Sadly, he took a turn for the worse.

Alex continued to host "Jeopardy!" ... recently beginning his 37th season, and earlier this year, he shot the epic 'Greatest of All Time' tournament on prime-time television.

Ken Jennings, who won that 'G.O.A.T.' tournament reacted to Alex's passing, saying, "Alex wasn't just the best ever at what he did. He was also a lovely and deep decent man, and I'm grateful for every minute I got to spend with him."

Ken's competitor James Holzhauer added, "It was one of the great privileges of my life to spend time with this courageous man while he fought the battle of his life. You will never be replaced in our hearts, Alex."

"Jeopardy!" says Alex hosted episodes will air through December 25th. His last day taping in the studio was October 29.

The shows executive producer, Mike Richards, says, "Working beside him for the past year and a half as he heroically continued to host "Jeopardy!" was an incredible honor. His belief in the importance of the show and his willingness to push himself to perform at the highest level was the most inspiring demonstration of courage I have ever seen."

More at URL above...

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1380 on: November 08, 2020, 06:30:02 pm »
For those wondering... they have enough episodes to run through Christmas (his last episodes were taped last week). It's going to be awkward watching to see if he declines.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1381 on: November 08, 2020, 06:31:07 pm »
Alex Trebeck has died

Geez, what a week.. :crying:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1382 on: November 08, 2020, 06:32:53 pm »
They said the same thing about Art Fleming.   :shrug:
And Fleming agreed: he liked Trebek as host, but he didn't like the modern game (he thought the questions were too easy—and seeing some of the early episodes from the 80s, I can see his point, but I think it's tougher now—and he hated the Hollywood glitz).

Fleming's Jeopardy! was a parlor game with a genial host in Fleming. Trebek's was a high-tech quiz with an intellectual newsman at the helm. Both were good in their own ways.

I'll also note that Trebek was one of the old-school newsmen before he got into game shows: he wasn't biased or agenda-driven.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #1383 on: November 08, 2020, 06:33:53 pm »
OH NO!  I've watched him for years.  He's a great guy...he'll be missed.

The original Jeopardy! with Art Fleming ran nearly 11 years, and I do remember that version (Fleming also hosted a revival attempt in the late 70s that only lasted about 6 months). But with 36+ years, Trebek probably refined the show host role for the show, and possibly the style range for game shows generally. I don't know if he was smart enough to be a contestant, but he was smart and very genial in relating to the contestants.

The show traditionally had a new intro every year, and when I saw that the current season's opener was like a slide show that included pix from across the Trebek era's history I started wondering ... and when they had Ken Jennings doing some guesty stuff ... I wondered if it was foreshadowing.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1384 on: November 08, 2020, 06:37:18 pm »
And Fleming agreed: he liked Trebek as host, but he didn't like the modern game (he thought the questions were too easy—and seeing some of the early episodes from the 80s, I can see his point, but I think it's tougher now—and he hated the Hollywood glitz).

Fleming's Jeopardy! was a parlor game with a genial host in Fleming. Trebek's was a high-tech quiz with an intellectual newsman at the helm. Both were good in their own ways.

I'll also note that Trebek was one of the old-school newsmen before he got into game shows: he wasn't biased or agenda-driven.

Yes, Trebek got away with it because he changed the parameters to blaze his own trail.  Truly a remarkable man.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1385 on: November 08, 2020, 06:56:21 pm »
ICYMI: This was Art Fleming's own Jeopardy! farewell. Ignore the jerk who posted it and called Alex Trebek, erroneously, a pompous ass . . .

Jeopardy! with Art Fleming, 3 January 1975

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1386 on: November 08, 2020, 09:18:36 pm »
I've been watching this show since Art Fleming. But Alex has been more prominent.

I truly hope they give KenJen the gig. I think he would be good at it...and he's young enough for us Jeop addicts to get really attached him. Although I must admit, I already have a strong attachment to the guy.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1387 on: November 08, 2020, 10:53:10 pm »
Who was the best game show host, ever?

(What did I win?)

R.I.P. Mr Trebek, and thanks.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1388 on: November 08, 2020, 10:56:33 pm »
I'll take Rest in Peace and Godspeed for $2,000, Alex.

He looked to be doing well enough right up through the most recent episodes just this Friday (which I presume are recorded a few months' ahead of time).

A short time back, within the last couple of weeks, there was a Jeopardy! topic with clues hosted by Ken Jennings. After the category was finished, Alex faked a look back over his shoulder with a quip about his space being filled. Perhaps he knew his time was growing short.

"All the Daily Doubles are done".
If that a**wipe Jennings is the new host, the wife and I are done with Jeopardy.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1389 on: November 08, 2020, 11:00:22 pm »

I know one thing...if I ever got on the show, I'd bone up on Shakespeare pretty heavy. But I'd get killed on modern pop culture. Don't watch modern tv shows, don't listen to modern music, and rarely watch any modern movies. 1985 is about as modern as I get. Anything newer than 30 years is lost on me.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1390 on: November 08, 2020, 11:01:53 pm »
Who was the best game show host, ever?

(What did I win?)

R.I.P. Mr Trebek, and thanks.

@Smokin Joe

No insult to Trebek intended,but the answer to that one is Groucho Marx. Nobody else even came close.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1391 on: November 08, 2020, 11:12:44 pm »
@Smokin Joe

No insult to Trebek intended,but the answer to that one is Groucho Marx. Nobody else even came close.

You bet your life!
I will NOT comply.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1392 on: November 08, 2020, 11:17:44 pm »
I've been watching this show since Art Fleming. But Alex has been more prominent.

I truly hope they give KenJen the gig. I think he would be good at it...and he's young enough for us Jeop addicts to get really attached him. Although I must admit, I already have a strong attachment to the guy.
I think Jennings's politics (he's, somewhat surprisingly given that he's a Utah Mormon, a pretty hardcore liberal) might be a problem, but he does have the knowledge and the charisma to do the job well.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1393 on: November 08, 2020, 11:28:32 pm »
You bet your life!

Umm. Where’s the duck? @Cyber Liberty
@sneakypete

I’m just teasing

Edit: changed to duck
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 11:30:15 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1394 on: November 08, 2020, 11:28:57 pm »
Quote from: jmyrlefuller link=topic=38751 :2popcorn:msg2322268#msg2322268 date=1604877464
I think Jennings's politics (he's, somewhat surprisingly given that he's a Utah Mormon, a pretty hardcore liberal) might be a problem, but he does have the knowledge and the charisma to do the job well.

@jmyrlefuller

Why is that surprising?

Ever heard of a guy named Mitch Romney?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1395 on: November 09, 2020, 12:02:54 am »
Umm. Where’s the duck? @Cyber Liberty
@sneakypete

I’m just teasing

Edit: changed to duck
@Gefn

Welcome to You Bet Your Life. Say the secret word and divide $100, it's a common word, something you see every day . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #1396 on: November 09, 2020, 02:04:14 am »
goat wrote:
"But I'd get killed on modern pop culture. Don't watch modern tv shows, don't listen to modern music, and rarely watch any modern movies. 1985 is about as modern as I get. Anything newer than 30 years is lost on me."

I would be the same.
Whenever there are categories like that, I'm totally lost.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #1397 on: November 09, 2020, 02:23:57 am »
https://thefederalist.com/2020/11/08/with-alex-trebek-we-say-goodbye-to-an-era-in-television/

With Alex Trebek, We Say Goodbye To An Era In Television
By Christopher Jacobs

The audience takes its seats, members murmuring amongst themselves. Some comment on how the soundstage looks smaller in person than on the small screen, an optical illusion caused by wide-angle lenses. Others note the set’s cool temperatures, intended to offset the stage lights’ heat. As the production staff provide information and instructions about what they are about to see, the guests just take it all in.

Preliminaries concluded—audience briefed, crew in position—the theme music starts, the lights come up, and the cameras roll. The show’s voice for nearly two score years intones the introduction, rising with the audience’s applause to reach his crescendo:

“And now, here is the host of ‘Jeopardy!’—Alex Trebek!”

More at URL above...

Nice article by a former Jeopardy! contestant...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1398 on: November 09, 2020, 02:54:20 am »
https://thefederalist.com/2020/11/08/with-alex-trebek-we-say-goodbye-to-an-era-in-television/

The audience takes its seats, members murmuring amongst themselves. Some comment on how the soundstage looks smaller in person than on the small screen, an optical illusion caused by wide-angle lenses. Others note the set’s cool temperatures, intended to offset the stage lights’ heat. As the production staff provide information and instructions about what they are about to see, the guests just take it all in.

Preliminaries concluded—audience briefed, crew in position—the theme music starts, the lights come up, and the cameras roll. The show’s voice for nearly two score years intones the introduction, rising with the audience’s applause to reach his crescendo:

“And now, here is the host of ‘Jeopardy!’—Alex Trebek!”

More at URL above...

Nice article by a former Jeopardy! contestant...

The audience does this routine for five solid hours or more.  They'd tape 5 or more shows in one day.
I will NOT comply.

Offline verga

« Reply #1399 on: November 09, 2020, 01:18:39 pm »
Alex Trebeck has died
Words escape me. RIP good sir.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.