Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 94930 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #1250 on: October 04, 2020, 12:52:08 am »
I got Moises Alou for $1 his rookie year in my Rotisserie Baseball League.  Two years later, I won the title.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1251 on: October 04, 2020, 01:01:59 am »
Meanwhile, alas . . .

Ron Perranoski, 2-time World Series champ with Los Angeles Dodgers, dies at 84

Great relief pitcher of the early-to-mid 1960s.

Lou Johnson, hit winning homer in '65 World Series, dies at age 86

Trivia: Lou Johnson has a unique place in baseball history---he got the only hit and scored the only run in Sandy Koufax's 1965 perfect game---and one had nothing to do with the other:

* Bottom of the fifth: Johnson led off with a walk. Ron Fairly bunted him over to second. With Jim Lefebvre at the plate Johnson stole third . . . and came home when Cubs catcher Chris Krug's throw sailed past third base.

* Bottom of the seventh: Johnson hit a two-out double but was stranded when Fairly grounded out to shortstop.

It also meant that if it hadn't been for Johnson, Cubs pitcher Bob Hendley would have thrown a no-hitter on the backside of Koufax's perfect game.

RIP to two classic Dodgers.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #1252 on: October 06, 2020, 07:41:05 pm »
Eddie Van Halen, 65, according to TMZ
Countdown to Resignation

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1253 on: October 06, 2020, 07:42:44 pm »
 Eddie Van Halen Dead at 65
10/6/2020 12:35 PM PT

Eddie Van Halen -- the legendary guitarist and co-founder of Van Halen -- has died after a long battle with throat cancer ... TMZ has learned.

Sources directly connected to the rock star tell us ... he died at St. Johns Hospital in Santa Monica Tuesday. His wife, Janie, was by his side, along with his son, Wolfgang, and Alex, Eddie's brother and drummer.

We're told in the last 72 hours Eddie's ongoing health battle went massively downhill -- doctors discovered his throat cancer had moved to his brain as well as other organs.  ... TMZ
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1254 on: October 06, 2020, 07:49:31 pm »
Bummer. RIP. Eddie. Heaven has a great rock band for you to jam with.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline verga

« Reply #1255 on: October 06, 2020, 07:50:40 pm »
D@MN!, just D@MN! RIP sir.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1256 on: October 06, 2020, 08:13:37 pm »
I knew Eddie Van Halen had cancer, but...Wow!  Just.  Wow!  Unexpected.

Rest in peace.   8888crybaby

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1257 on: October 06, 2020, 08:20:37 pm »

Another crappy surprise.

Talented guy, a bigger guitar influence than Jimi Hendrix, IMO. As big, at least.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1258 on: October 06, 2020, 11:23:21 pm »
Eddie and the band are irrevocably intertwined with my years from jr. high well into college. There isn't hardly a song that doesn't bring up a memory.

David Lee Roth said awhile back he wasn't doing good. Eddie barely beat cancer 20 years ago, so I wasn't as surprised as I might have been.

He changed guitar and rock-n-roll forever. RIP.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1259 on: October 07, 2020, 12:57:26 am »
And another one:

Johnny Nash, singer of ‘I Can See Clearly Now,’ dies at 80

Johnny Nash, a singer-songwriter, actor and producer who rose from pop crooner to early reggae star to the creator and performer of the million-selling anthem “I Can See Clearly Now,” died Tuesday, his son said.

Nash, who had been in declining health, died of natural causes at home in Houston, the city of his birth, his son, Johnny Nash Jr., told The Associated Press. He was 80.

https://wgntv.com/news/johnny-nash-singer-of-i-can-see-clearly-now-dies-at-80/

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #1260 on: October 07, 2020, 01:26:17 am »
And another one:

Johnny Nash, singer of ‘I Can See Clearly Now,’ dies at 80

Also did the theme to "The Mighty Hercules"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1261 on: October 07, 2020, 02:20:26 am »
Also did the theme to "The Mighty Hercules"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

We're all entitled to make mistakes early in our careers.

RIP Mr. Nash.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1262 on: October 07, 2020, 11:20:36 am »
Shoot, Johnny Nash too? I said it before 2020 really stinks.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1263 on: October 09, 2020, 05:18:31 pm »
Whitey Ford, Pitcher Who Epitomized Mighty Yankees, Dies at 91

Whitey Ford, the street-smart New Yorker who had the best winning percentage of any pitcher in the 20th century and helped the Yankees become baseball’s perennial champions in the 1950s and ’60s, has died. He was 91.

A family member told The Associated Press on Friday that Ford died at his Long Island home Thursday night. The cause was not known.

Nicknamed the “Chairman of the Board,” Ford was a wily left-hander who pitched from 1950-67 in the major leagues, all with the Yankees. He was among the most dependable pitchers in baseball history.

He won 236 games and lost just 106, a winning percentage of .690. He would help symbolize the almost machinelike efficiency of the Yankees in the mid-20th century, when only twice between Ford’s rookie year and 1964 did they fail to make the postseason.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/whitey-ford-91-pitcher-who-epitomized-mighty-yankees-dies/2661047/

@EasyAce

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1264 on: October 09, 2020, 05:19:11 pm »
RIP Mr Ford

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1265 on: October 09, 2020, 06:14:10 pm »
Heck I thought Whitey was long gone. RIP.

Since his name was Whitey, I expect the BLM terrorism to start against his family clear out to 6th cousins twice removed.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1266 on: October 09, 2020, 06:16:31 pm »
Whitey Ford, Pitcher Who Epitomized Mighty Yankees, Dies at 91

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/whitey-ford-91-pitcher-who-epitomized-mighty-yankees-dies/2661047/

@EasyAce
@Gefn

Not too long ago, Ford and the late Yogi Berra attended a Yankee Old-Timers Day and, during the ceremonies, the video board flashed tributes to former Yankees who'd passed away that year thus far. Yogi turned to Whitey and said, "Boy, I hope I never see my name up there!"

Ford also spent as much of his career cleaning up after his bestie Mickey Mantle's messes as he did pitching for eleven pennant winners and six world champions.

Like Mantle, Ford was a pretty good practical joker. The two once collaborated on a gag the victims of which were young infielders Joe Pepitone and Phil Linz. In Detroit, Ford told the pair they'd arrived, they were ready to party with the big boys. He told them to dress to the nines, take a cab to a club called the Flame, and ask for Whitey Ford's table.

The Flame was actually once a legendary rhythm and blues club in Detroit. By 1963, alas, the Flame was long gone and the place was a ramshackle wreck. Pepitone and Linz found out the hard way after they followed Ford's instructions, hailed their cab, and discovered . . . a ramshackle wreck with nothing left inside but maybe a couple of toasted tables. No Ford, no Mantle, no dinner.

Jim Bouton revealed in Ball Four that Ford also had the habit of taking care of the Yankees' relief pitchers by setting up a table in the pen with a red-and-white checkered tablecloth, loaves of Italian bread, and assorted cold cuts and condiments. "Whitey Ford," Bouton wrote, "had style." A few weeks later, though, Bouton had to record this: "Hot flash! Whitey Ford's Italian restaurant has been topped by the Baltimore bullpen---wienie roasts!"

He also had a brain on the mound to make his assortment of junk balls into lethal weapons. Even if you didn't root for the Yankees, and I sure as hell didn't, you came to love and respect individual Yankees. Whitey Ford was one of them.

RIP, Chairman of the Board.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 06:18:56 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1267 on: October 09, 2020, 06:34:13 pm »
@EasyAce my dad was a Yankee fan. I was so happy to get Whitey Ford’s autograph during a Trenton Thunder game a few years back when he was signing them. He seemed to be a nice man. Very patient with the little kids who wanted autographs.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1268 on: October 09, 2020, 06:59:09 pm »
@EasyAce my dad was a Yankee fan. I was so happy to get Whitey Ford’s autograph during a Trenton Thunder game a few years back when he was signing them. He seemed to be a nice man. Very patient with the little kids who wanted autographs.
@Gefn
He was when he was a Yankee.

When he was a soldier with the Army Signal Corps in 1951-52, it was a little different. Ford once brushed off an autograph-seeking kid with a simple, "Not now, kid."

Oops.

That kid grew up to be U.S. poet laureate Robert Pinsky. When Jane Leavy was researching her biography of Sandy Koufax, she met Pinsky---who'd once written a poem, "Night Game," about Ford and Koufax. (Koufax, of course, beat Ford and the Yankees twice as the Dodgers swept the 1963 World Series.) It happened that, just as Pinsky's hero of his later youth was Koufax, Ford was Leavy's girlhood hero. Pinsky mentioning Ford giving him the autograph brush-off struck a nerve with Leavy.

So she called Koufax. (Koufax cooperated with her book unofficially; he described her both as "a real neat lady" and "his CPA---certified pain in the ass.") She told Koufax about Pinsky and Ford. After a pause, Koufax asked Leavy, "Do you think he'd like a ball?" Leavy said yes. Two weeks later, Koufax sent Pinsky an autographed baseball . . . . and a small, handwritten note saying only, "Whitey's really a good guy."

That prompted Pinsky to reach out to Ford. At which moment Ford explained the real reason for that ancient autograph brush-off: soldiers weren't allowed to sign autographs, something Pinsky never knew. Leavy also wrote that Ford redeemed himself with her by replying, upon the mention of "Night Game," "He wrote nice things about Sandy? I'd like to see that."

Offline verga

« Reply #1269 on: October 09, 2020, 07:02:42 pm »
Just saw a notice that Charles Bronson passed away
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1270 on: October 09, 2020, 07:10:32 pm »

About 17 years ago, according to Wiki. :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1271 on: October 09, 2020, 07:14:04 pm »
About 17 years ago, according to Wiki. :shrug:

81 years old. November 3-1921
August 30-2003

He had several children. Maybe one of them passed away today. Could be have a Junior?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 07:15:20 pm by Gefn »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #1272 on: October 09, 2020, 07:20:59 pm »

One of my all time faves.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1273 on: October 12, 2020, 03:22:47 pm »
Cincinnati Reds Hall of Famer Joe Morgan dies at 77

Hall of Famer Joe Morgan, a 10-time All-Star and two-time World Series champion with the Big Red Machine, died Sunday at 77 at his home in Danville, California, according to a statement from his family.

He is survived by his wife of 30 years, Theresa, their twin daughters Kelly and Ashley, and his daughters Lisa and Angela from his first marriage to Gloria Morgan. Morgan died of non-specified polyneuropathy.

Morgan played eight seasons with the Cincinnati Reds (1972-79) and he was selected to the All-Star team each year. He was named the National League Most Valuable Player in 1975 and ’76, and he earned five Gold Gloves for his exceptional defense at second base.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2020/10/12/cincinnati-reds-hall-famer-joe-morgan-dies-77/5966790002/

@EasyAce

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1274 on: October 12, 2020, 03:23:32 pm »
Two baseball players in a week. I hope this doesn’t go in threes.