Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95573 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #1225 on: September 30, 2020, 03:34:39 am »
Helen Reddy
1970s singer dies at 78

Reddy was born in Melbourne, Australia 1941 to a show-business family and effectively forced to become a musical star; she initially resisted but relented after a marriage and divorce at a young age forced her to make money the only way she knew how: by singing. At 25, she won a trip to New York City on an Australian television show, but found out soon after that Mercury Records, which was supposed to have offered her a recording deal as her prize, had reneged on the agreement. She opted to remain in America.

She eventually found stardom in the 1970s, with fifteen top-40 hits. She broke through with "I Don't Know How to Love Him" (the cover of a Jesus Christ Superstar number) but rocketed to fame with "I am Woman," a chart-topping feminist anthem. Other notable hits included "Delta Dawn" (covering Tanya Tucker's country hit), "Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress)," "You and Me Against the World," and "Angie Baby." Her recording career lost steam in the 1980s, as did her second marriage.

Reddy died September 29.

Obituary from the Sydney Morning Herald

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1226 on: September 30, 2020, 05:31:39 am »
Helen Reddy
1970s singer dies at 78

@jmyrlefuller

I can remember when 78 was old.

SIGH!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1227 on: September 30, 2020, 05:38:50 am »
@jmyrlefuller

I can remember when 78 was old.

SIGH!
I can remember when I thought 78 was old.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1228 on: September 30, 2020, 11:23:43 am »
Mac Davis, country music singer, songwriter for Elvis Presley and actor, dies at 78

Mac Davis -- a singer, songwriter and actor who wrote "In The Ghetto" and other classic songs for Elvis Presley before becoming a multitalented star in his own right — died Tuesday at age 78.

The announcement was made by the Country Music Association, following word from Davis' manager that he had become "critically ill" after undergoing heart surgery in Nashville.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/09/30/mac-davis-singer-songwriter-elvis-actor-dies-78/3584784001/?ref=hvper.com

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1229 on: September 30, 2020, 12:40:14 pm »
Same age, same day.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1230 on: September 30, 2020, 12:44:25 pm »
Wow. I

Both talented musicians. Rest In Peace.

I’m really starting to dislike all the new obituaries.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 12:45:11 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline verga

« Reply #1231 on: September 30, 2020, 03:05:13 pm »
Wow. I

Both talented musicians. Rest In Peace.

I’m really starting to dislike all the new obituaries.
Waiting for the third shoe to drop
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1232 on: September 30, 2020, 07:01:07 pm »
RIP Mac Davis... These words have been with me most of my life...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #1233 on: September 30, 2020, 07:15:15 pm »
Waiting for the third shoe to drop

Anne Murray?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline verga

« Reply #1234 on: September 30, 2020, 08:27:23 pm »
Anne Murray?
Bite your tongue, she is my wife's favorite singer of all time. "Can I have this dance for the rest of my life" was out first dance at our wedding.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #1235 on: September 30, 2020, 09:00:47 pm »
Anne Murray?

Many  of my ancestors came from Canada, including Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, etc. 1750s-1850s

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1236 on: October 01, 2020, 06:55:52 am »
RIP, Mr Davis.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1237 on: October 03, 2020, 03:21:10 am »
RIP to the greatest pitcher in St. Louis Cardinals history . . .

Cardinals Hall of Famer Bob Gibson dies at 84 after bout with cancer

Fought pancreatic cancer and lost.

Died on the anniversary of his record-setting 17-strikeout Game One performance in the 1968 World Series.

RIP Gibby.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1238 on: October 03, 2020, 03:47:27 am »
RIP to the greatest pitcher in St. Louis Cardinals history . . .

Wow, and after losing Brock less than a month ago.  Really tough 2020 for vintage Card fans.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 03:49:48 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #1239 on: October 03, 2020, 02:04:45 pm »
The BoSox cardinals WS  was the 1st one i remember following and enjoyed pulling for Gibson vs that red Sox pitched whatshisname.  😁

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1240 on: October 03, 2020, 02:28:45 pm »
Wow, and after losing Brock less than a month ago.  Really tough 2020 for vintage Card fans.

You got that right.  One of the fondest memories of my childhood was catching an 11-game homestand in St. Louis back in the 70's.  John Denny was the ace back then, and the Mad Hungarian was the closer.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1241 on: October 03, 2020, 04:02:51 pm »
The BoSox cardinals WS  was the 1st one i remember following and enjoyed pulling for Gibson vs that red Sox pitched whatshisname.  😁
@Wingnut
You're thinking of Jim Lonborg, 1967 American League Cy Young Award winner---and likely chairman, if such a chapter existed, of baseball's Future Dentists of America. (Lonborg became a dentist after his pitching career ended.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #1242 on: October 03, 2020, 04:07:46 pm »
@Wingnut
You're thinking of Jim Lonborg, 1967 American League Cy Young Award winner---and likely chairman, if such a chapter existed, of baseball's Future Dentists of America. (Lonborg became a dentist after his pitching career ended.)

Thanks. I always got him and Jim Palmer confused for o
Some reason.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1243 on: October 03, 2020, 04:15:34 pm »
So glad I got to watch in person some of the greats play: Brock, Gibson, Clemente, Stargell, Mays.

Excuse me while I feel really old ...  :crying:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1244 on: October 03, 2020, 04:31:17 pm »
You got that right.  One of the fondest memories of my childhood was catching an 11-game homestand in St. Louis back in the 70's.  John Denny was the ace back then, and the Mad Hungarian was the closer.

Want to talk impact....  Gibson's '68 season and his 1.12  era that year was the reason MLB lowered the mound the following season.

Still hard to fathom and get my mind around a 1.12 era over an entire season.  You can't get much more dominant than that.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1245 on: October 03, 2020, 05:06:29 pm »
Want to talk impact....  Gibson's '68 season and his 1.12  era that year was the reason MLB lowered the mound the following season.
It was Gibson, plus

* Don Drysdale breaking Walter Johnson's shutout inning streak over six consecutive shutouts in May and June.
* Denny McLain earning 31 wins. (Codicil: When you're getting 4.7 runs of support per 27 outs, which is what McLain got in 1968, you'd damn well better win 31 games.)
* Carl Yastrzemski winning the American League batting title at .301.
* The American League slugging a mere .339. (It's still the lowest league percentage since 1915.)
* 339 shutouts across MLB.
* Five teams pitching 20 or more shutouts. (In descending order: the Cardinals [30], the Mets [25], the Indians [23], the Dodgers [23], and the Giants [20].)
* A collective MLB 2.98 ERA and fielding-independent pitching rate.
* Luis Tiant of the Indians winning the American League ERA title with 1.60.
* Far more night than day baseball---578 more night than day games in 1968, and 472 more night games in 1968 than in 1963, the year the Baseball Rules Committee expanded the strike zone to points from the batter's shoulders to below his knees.

Gibson's 1968 ERA was only the most obvious reason MLB re-instituted the pre-1962 strike zone and lowered the mound to ten inches. But it wasn't the only reason. If Gibson had rolled that ERA but everything else in MLB remained at its previous or future averages, by itself it wouldn't have been enough to compel those rule changes. Bob Gibson was a great pitcher, but his impact on the post-1968 rule changes is as exaggerated as his image for headhunting.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 06:35:02 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1246 on: October 03, 2020, 05:36:46 pm »
So glad I got to watch in person some of the greats play: Brock, Gibson, Clemente, Stargell, Mays.

Excuse me while I feel really old ...  :crying:

All these guys were stars when I was a youngin' and not a bunch of primadonas like what we have now.  Many of them were vastly underpaid by today's standards, but they worked for every cent they made.  I miss the days when players played not just for the paycheck,  but for the love of the game. 

Rest in peace, Lou Brock and Bob Gibson. 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1247 on: October 03, 2020, 06:42:42 pm »
I  seem to recall Mateo Alou, who won an NL batting title, earning about $42K.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1248 on: October 03, 2020, 06:53:11 pm »
I  seem to recall Mateo Alou, who won an NL batting title, earning about $42K.
@mountaineer
I remember even more a classic splash of graffiti in San Francisco when all three Alou brothers played for the Giants:

JESUS IS THE ANSWER! WHAT'S THE QUESTION? WHO'S FELIPE AND MATTY'S KID BROTHER?

Matty Alou actually wasn't much of a hitter until the Giants traded him to the Pirates and Pirates manager Harry Walker took one look at his swing and suggested he use a heavier bat. That 1966 season (when he earned the $42K) was when he won the batting title hitting 70 points above his career average prior to that year. But it ended up being a wasted BA---Alou was a leadoff man who reached base the way a good leadoff man should, but that year's Pirates weren't exactly world-beaters when it came to getting runs home. Alou scored 86 times but probably should have scored well more than 100 times that year.

By the way, Matty Alou earned $100,000 playing for the 1972 Cardinals and Athletics, then $70,000 in each of his final two seasons, one with the Yankees and one with the Padres.

Online goatprairie

« Reply #1249 on: October 03, 2020, 07:35:19 pm »
@mountaineer
I remember even more a classic splash of graffiti in San Francisco when all three Alou brothers played for the Giants:

JESUS IS THE ANSWER! WHAT'S THE QUESTION? WHO'S FELIPE AND MATTY'S KID BROTHER?

Matty Alou actually wasn't much of a hitter until the Giants traded him to the Pirates and Pirates manager Harry Walker took one look at his swing and suggested he use a heavier bat. That 1966 season (when he earned the $42K) was when he won the batting title hitting 70 points above his career average prior to that year. But it ended up being a wasted BA---Alou was a leadoff man who reached base the way a good leadoff man should, but that year's Pirates weren't exactly world-beaters when it came to getting runs home. Alou scored 86 times but probably should have scored well more than 100 times that year.

By the way, Matty Alou earned $100,000 playing for the 1972 Cardinals and Athletics, then $70,000 in each of his final two seasons, one with the Yankees and one with the Padres.
Makes a person wonder who was most valuable...Matty Alou with a lifetime BA of .307 but an OBP of only .345 or somebody like The Walking Man, Eddie Yost whose lifetime BA was .254 but OBP was .394. Yost had five seasons of scoring 100 or more runs including four with the perennially lousy Senators and only one for Alou with the strong-hitting Pirates.
And Yost had a lot more power than Alou....139 lifetime dingers for Yost vs. only 31 for Alou.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 07:36:09 pm by goatprairie »