Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95557 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #1025 on: July 26, 2020, 01:23:02 pm »
Regis Philbin was quite a talent.  Talk shows, game shows, acting, a music career.  I read he had a voice acting gig in the last Shrek movie and even owned a car dealership in Arizona (the latter didn't last too long, but he tried).  All the while, one never heard about scandals involving him.  He and his second wife, Joy, were married for 50 years.  Not too common among celebrities. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Philbin.
I remember, about 20 years ago, reading one of the tabloids—and I am quoting verbatim here:

"REGIS EXPOSED! He's so cheap, he saves half-cans of soda!"

If that's the worst they had on the guy, that's a pretty good life.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1026 on: July 26, 2020, 02:52:21 pm »
Christian apologetics speaker Frank Turek, a friend of Adams, pointed out in a tweet that "Mike Adams was the reasonable one," looking at this article in which Mike responded to someone who had called him an embarrassment:Clash Daily

1. In the early spring semester of 2013, a women’s studies professor and a psychology professor at Western Carolina University co-sponsored a panel on bondage and S&M. The purpose of the panel was to teach college students how to inflict pain on themselves and others for sexual pleasure. When you called me the biggest embarrassment in higher education, you must not have known about their bondage panel. Maybe you were tied up that evening and couldn’t make it.   ...

@mountaineer

I don't remember ever hearing of this guy before,but after reading the above,I miss him.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1027 on: July 26, 2020, 04:14:49 pm »
Breaking - Olivia DevHavilland has died at 104, according to the BBC.

Details to follow
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1028 on: July 26, 2020, 04:18:48 pm »
@Gefn

Obituary: Olivia de Havilland, star of Hollywood's Golden Age

Dame Olivia de Havilland, who has died at 104 in Paris, was one of the last survivors of Hollywood's Golden Age.

Her most famous role was that of the virtuous Melanie opposite Vivien Leigh's wayward Scarlett, in the epic Gone with the Wind.
At the time of her death she was the oldest living performer to have won an Oscar.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-12717233

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1029 on: July 26, 2020, 04:19:16 pm »
Breaking - Olivia DevHavilland has died at 104, according to the BBC.

Details to follow

The last of the golden age of Hollywood.  I fell in love with her character in Gone With the Wind.  She seemed like the perfect lady
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1030 on: July 26, 2020, 04:21:31 pm »
'Gone With the Wind' star Olivia de Havilland dies at 104

Olivia de Havilland, classic star of Hollywood and two-time winner of the Academy Award for Best Actress, died peacefully in her sleep at her home in Paris, France on Saturday. She was 104.

De Havilland built her legacy — one of strong, beguiling characters in difficult circumstances — with her own hands. She rose to prominence in the 1930s as Errol Flynn’s imperiled lass in a series of swashbuckling adventure films like Captain Blood and The Adventures of Robin Hood. Typically, she’d be bound up and carried away, only to be saved by the hero and ensnared once more in the ties of matrimony. But in her own life, de Havilland refused to wait for the calvary. Confident in her abilities and wary of being typecast as the damsel in distress, she waged a legal battle against Warner Bros. when the studio tried to extend her seven-year contract as a penalty for refusing roles. She eventually won, swooping in and saving herself in a landmark ruling that is still known today as the “de Havilland law.”

https://ew.com/movies/gone-with-the-wind-star-olivia-de-havilland-dies-at-104/

She might be remembered for GWTW, but I also saw her in “The Snake Pit”, and that was one heck of a role too.

Died in her sleep at 104. Rest In Peace Miss Melanie.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 04:22:49 pm by Gefn »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1031 on: July 26, 2020, 04:32:29 pm »

She might be remembered for GWTW, but I also saw her in “The Snake Pit”, and that was one heck of a role too.

Died in her sleep at 104. Rest In Peace Miss Melanie.

I think the last film I saw her in was called Lady In A Cage.  She played a disabled woman stuck in a home elevator when the power goes out.  She was at the mercy of some punks who I believe were trying to rob her.  Not exactly a film classic, but as always, Miss deHavilland was the consummate professional. 

Miss deHavilland had a very successful career and was blessed with a long life.  Just a shame she spent much of her life in a feud with her sister, Joan Fontaine.  But I will always admire her for her work and will miss one more now gone talent from long ago. 

Rest in peace, Miss deHavilland.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1032 on: July 26, 2020, 04:34:57 pm »
The last of the golden age of Hollywood.  I fell in love with her character in Gone With the Wind.  She seemed like the perfect lady
Indeed. A beautiful lady who stood with Ronald Reagan against the Marxists in 1946 Hollywood (see Paul Kengor's book, "Dupes").
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1033 on: July 26, 2020, 05:24:45 pm »
De Havilland also had a major impact on labor law: the De Havilland Law.

Back in her day, there were laws in California that said you could not hold someone under contract for more than two years. Well, the studios decided to construe that quite disingenuously by treating it like a time clock: to them, the clock started when you started filming and stopped when you stopped filming, meaning it would take two years' worth of timed work to be freed from the contract.

The De Havilland Law changed that so that they literally meant two years (eventually this was upped to seven years) from the time the contract is signed, with no "stopping the clock."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1034 on: July 26, 2020, 05:40:20 pm »
Indeed. A beautiful lady who stood with Ronald Reagan against the Marxists in 1946 Hollywood (see Paul Kengor's book, "Dupes").
@mountaineer
See also these two books . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1035 on: July 26, 2020, 05:46:00 pm »
Looks very interesting, @EasyAce. The Kengor book examines just how much of a dyed-in-the-wool Marxist Humphrey Bogart may have been.

Offline verga

« Reply #1036 on: July 26, 2020, 05:50:00 pm »
Regis Philbin, Legendary Television Host, Dies at 88

https://people.com/tv/regis-philbin-dead/
RIP Regis.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

« Reply #1037 on: July 26, 2020, 05:55:18 pm »
John Saxon, ‘Nightmare on Elm Street’ Actor, Dies at 83

https://www.thewrap.com/john-saxon-nightmare-on-elm-street-actor-dies-at-83/

Saxon had many more credits in movies and tv:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Saxon
Damn, I really like his acting. Not really a Major star, but you could count on him giving a solid performance. I think I first saw him in an episode of "The Six million dollar Man"
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1038 on: July 26, 2020, 05:56:37 pm »
Damn, I really like his acting. Not really a Major star, but you could count on him giving a solid performance. I think I first saw him in an episode of "The Six million dollar Man"

I think I’ve seen him in other 70s shows. I’m sure if I look on IMDb he’s done a lot of guest spots on sitcoms.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1039 on: July 26, 2020, 05:59:01 pm »
Looks very interesting, @EasyAce. The Kengor book examines just how much of a dyed-in-the-wool Marxist Humphrey Bogart may have been.
Bogart wasn't a Marxist; he was a liberal Democrat in a time when "liberal Democrat" wasn't half the menace it is today. He did organise the Committee for the First Amendment and made a point of writing a published essay, "I'm No Communist," and emphasising that whomever the Committee stood up for during the investigations of the time the Hollywood Ten weren't among them.

In fact, after Edward Dmytryk (one of the Ten who finally denounced the Party in Hollywood when he realised he'd been had and named names) was finally allowed to direct again, Bogart came to his aid when Dymytryk was making The Left Hand of God: when Gene Tierney had trouble with some of her lines, at a time she was beginning to suffer mental illness (something Bogart knew well enough: his sister dealt with it, too), Bogart stepped in to coach her and encouraged her to seek treatment when the film was made. Taking a large burden off Dmytryk as he finished the film.

That was after Bogart gave Dmytryk almost a more significant helping hand: Bogie dropped his normal asking price considerably so Dmytryk could cast him as Captain Queeg in The Caine Mutiny---and it paid off in spades, with the film being a huge hit, Bogie getting his final Oscar nomination, and Dmytryk's work getting the film nominated for Best Picture. (It lost to a film made by another ex-Communist who turned on the Party and named names as well: On the Waterfront, directed by Elia Kazan.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 06:00:57 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1040 on: July 26, 2020, 05:59:42 pm »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1041 on: July 26, 2020, 06:08:10 pm »
I don't want to go too far off the rails here, Easy Ace, but Kengor's research shows there's evidence Bogie well may have been deeply involved with the Communists during a period of time in the 1930s - a bit of a career drought - he spent in NYC. Nevertheless, after returning to Hollywood, he was not so deeply involved with the actual Communist Party - just, perhaps, one of the dupes Kengor has described, as evidenced by his activities with the "First Amendment" bunch.

Online berdie

« Reply #1042 on: July 26, 2020, 08:30:04 pm »

The casting in GWTW was superb. Just as I imagined them after reading the book. Well, maybe not Leslie Howard. But I guess he fit the part. Miss Melanie was excellent.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1043 on: July 26, 2020, 09:28:39 pm »
I think the first movie I remember him from was Enter The Dragon, and did you know:

In 1971, he was the international middleweight karate champion. John Saxon was cast because he had a black belt in karate.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #1044 on: July 26, 2020, 10:36:01 pm »
EasyAce, thanks for the pointers towards the two books above...

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1045 on: July 27, 2020, 01:00:13 pm »
Mark Steyn's piece on Mike Adams is worth a read:
...   He "seemed like" a happy warrior, but who knows? It's a miserable, unrelenting, stressful life, as the friends fall away and the colleagues, who were socially distant years before Covid, turn openly hostile. There are teachers who agree with Mike Adams at UNCW and other universities - not a lot, but some - and there are others who don't agree but retain a certain queasiness about the tightening bounds of acceptable opinion ...and they all keep their heads down. So the burthen borne by a man with his head up, such as Adams, is a lonely one, and it can drag you down and the compensations (an invitation to discuss your latest TownHall column on the radio or cable news) are very fleeting.

The American academy is bonkers and has reared monsters - so that we now have a "black liberation movement" staffed almost entirely by college-educated white women (including a remarkable number of angry trans-women) from the over-undergraduated permanent-varsity Class of Whenever. We are assured that out in "the real world" there is a soi-disant "silent majority" whose voices will resound around the world on November 3rd. For what it's worth, I don't believe in the existence of this "silent majority", and a political party that has won the popular vote only once in the last thirty years (2004) ought to be chary about over-investing in it.  ...

[url=http://www.steynonline.com/10482/mn]www.steynonline.com/10482/mn

I seem unable to post the link properly, no matter how many times I try!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 03:24:05 pm by mountaineer »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1046 on: July 27, 2020, 01:10:14 pm »

Saxon's most prominent role, IMO, was with Bruce Lee in the king of the cheesy martial arts movies Enter the Dragon. It even looked as though he knew a few moves himself.

Offline corbe

« Reply #1047 on: July 27, 2020, 03:08:32 pm »
NATIONAL Lloyd Marcus, conservative columnist and Tea Party leader, dies at 71.

Caiden CowgerPublished 1 day ago on July 26, 2020By Caiden Cowger

PAW PAW, WV — On July 24th, Conservative columnist and activist Lloyd Marcus passed away at the age of 71. Marcus suffered from a sudden heart attack, passing one day after his wedding anniversary. He was born on October 24, 1948.

Surviving Marcus is his wife Mary, who made this announcement:

“With my sad, heavy, and deeply broken heart Jesus suddenly came and reclaimed our Lloyd Marcus, The Unhyphenated American. Loved by many all over the world with his warm smile, optimism, hearty exuberance, his wise written words in columns, songs, videos, artworks and books, Lloyd Marcus is deeply missed. His family and dear friends are stunned at the sheer quickness and absoluteness of God’s hand as he was plucked from us to be with his beloved Lord and Savior in Heaven above. As I continue my life without his all-encompassing human love of me, his adoring, and steadfast wife, I thank you all for your loving compassion. Patriots, I want you to know he loved each and every one of you. Reading and responding to your letters of encouragement, questions, and well wishes, he loved you all and spoke of and wrote about many of you. I and he have always thanked you for your gifts through the years in helping him ‘Spread the Truth.’

Thanking you in advance for your heartful giving, I leave you with Lloyd’s words: I’m NOT African American-I’m Lloyd Marcus-AMERICAN! God instructed Pharaoh, ‘Let my people go.’ God instructs us, ‘Let my people know.’ Spread truth.”

<..snip..>

https://cowgernation.com/2020/07/26/lloyd-marcus-conservative-columnist-and-tea-party-leader-dies-at-71/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1048 on: July 27, 2020, 03:26:31 pm »
Last Stand to Save America as Founded
by Lloyd Marcus • July 23, 2020
Lloyd Marcus, The Unhyphenated American

My patriotic mood began while rewatching Whitney Houston’s spectacular performance of our National Anthem at Super Bowl XXV in 1991. Whitney’s rendition was rereleased as a single after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. She donated all proceeds to charity.

Serendipitous, these remarkable quotes about America appeared on my radar.

“Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.” — Abraham Lincoln

Wow! Lincoln said it right there in his Gettysburg address that America was founded upon the principle that all men are created equal. Leftist schools have taught our kids for decades that America was founded by evil white guys with no desire for equality. Yes, it took a while to reach our goal of equality for all Americans; up to 800,000 died in the Civil War to free the slaves and years of civil rights battles paved the way to elect our first black president. But we got there folks. We got there!

“The thing that sets the American Christian apart from all other people in the world is he will die on his feet before he’ll live on his knees.” — George Washington

I pray that Christians will stop kneeling to wicked cultural demands and begin standing up again for Godly principles.   ... More

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1049 on: July 27, 2020, 07:08:36 pm »
Saxon's most prominent role, IMO, was with Bruce Lee in the king of the cheesy martial arts movies Enter the Dragon. It even looked as though he knew a few moves himself.
In 1971, he was the international middleweight karate champion. John Saxon was cast because he had a black belt in karate.