Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95553 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2020, 09:46:57 pm »
Jim Lehrer
PBS news anchor dies at 85

Lehrer was the lead anchor of PBS's The MacNeil-Lehrer NewsHour from 1975 until his retirement in 2011. He was also a frequent debate moderator, hosting 12 presidential debates between 1988 and 2012.

Obituary from PBS

Wikipedia
I rarely missed the original MacNeil-Lehrer NewsHour until Robert McNeil retired.

RIP.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2020, 12:24:15 am »
Lehrer was at least one of the more civil neo-Stalinists even if he was completely in the tank for collectivism with all his journo buddies.

I'll give him that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2020, 12:14:59 am »
https://www.christianpost.com/news/the-walking-bible-televangelist-jack-van-impe-dies-at-88.html

‘The Walking Bible’ televangelist Jack Van Impe dies at 88

Televangelist Jack Van Impe, the host of the show "Jack Van Impe Presents," has died at the age of 88.

Van Impe’s ministry, Jack Van Impe Ministries International, announced the news on its website.

“The beloved Dr. Jack Van Impe was welcomed into Heaven by His blessed Savior and Lord who he had so faithfully served in ministry for over 70 years,” the statement reads. “Please pray for his beloved wife and lifelong ministry partner Rexella and their families as they grieve this immense loss and for wisdom as she and the Board lead the ministry in the days ahead.”

Van Impe was more toward the Fundamentalist side of Evangelicals and more into eschatology than I am, but he is fairly well known in Evangelical circles.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2020, 12:27:12 am »
I saw many of Jack's shows with Rexella. Very entertaining.

I saw him in the '90s and I have seen it in the past few years and he hailed from and I believe broadcast from Michigan.

Bible prophecy is of importance to many. What he'd say is probably a bit similar to Hal Lindsay.

Thanks Jack, you will be missed. Sorry to hear this.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2020, 01:36:06 am »
I watched a number of Van Impes' shows over the years. While I didn't always agree with their conclusions, Jack and Rexella always came off as decent, sincere, and down to earth people.

I don't recall any scandal associated with him, except the usual raging by the leftists. Seemed like a guy that lived what he preached.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2020, 02:39:38 am »
I watched a number of Van Impes' shows over the years. While I didn't always agree with their conclusions, Jack and Rexella always came off as decent, sincere, and down to earth people.

I don't recall any scandal associated with him, except the usual raging by the leftists. Seemed like a guy that lived what he preached.

Yep... Same thinking here.

RIP.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2020, 04:27:27 pm »
I saw many of Jack's shows with Rexella. Very entertaining.

I saw him in the '90s and I have seen it in the past few years and he hailed from and I believe broadcast from Michigan.

Bible prophecy is of importance to many. What he'd say is probably a bit similar to Hal Lindsay.

Thanks Jack, you will be missed. Sorry to hear this.

W'pedia's page for Van Impe is fairly informative. For a site that is reliably Lib-Prog in socio-political matters, it's interesting that no scandals - moral or money - are mentioned. He and Rexella, who survived him apparently, married before I was born. 65 years' marriage isn't Guinness Book of World's records grade, but definitely impressive.

From the W'pedia page, Van Impe was definitely into Dispensationalist, Pre-Millennial, Pre-Tribulation eschatology, and made that the focus of his ministry. I'm Pan-Mil, Pan-Trib - it'll all pan out in the end, ****drummer . Hal Lindsey is of similar views. I thought Lindsey was younger than Van Impe, but he is actually a year or two older.

It's disappointing to me that Van Impe started or repeated the ludicrous claim that Rick Warren was teaching/advocating what Van Impe and others have called "Chrislam" (merged Christianity and Islam). Obviously 8-10 years after the fact gives something close to 20-20 hindsight, but I said on another discussion site around that time that it was a ridiculous claim. Gnat-screening heresy-hunting is a trap to which Fundamentalist seem somewhat more susceptible than most Evangelicals, and this is far from the worst I've seen.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2020, 01:11:52 am »
Former Rep. Fortney "Pete" Stark (D-CA) dies at 88

Initially running on the premise that his predecessor had been in Congress for 28 years and that that was too long, Stark went on to serve 40 years in Congress, only leaving after redistricting led to his defeat in a jungle primary by current Rep. Eric Swalwell.

He was antiwar, pro-Obamacare, atheist (the first Congress member to openly admit as much), and regularly insulted other Congress members in debates.

Obituary from the Associated Press

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2020, 01:25:50 am »
I should hate Mr. Stark for contributing to the imposition of Obamacare on us.  But right now, his soul is in God's hands.  He will judge Mr. Stark, not me.

However, Mr. Stark does have family who I assume mourn his passing.  So I will pray for God's comfort for them.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2020, 02:35:00 am »
I should hate Mr. Stark for contributing to the imposition of Obamacare on us.  But right now, his soul is in God's hands.  He will judge Mr. Stark, not me.

However, Mr. Stark does have family who I assume mourn his passing.  So I will pray for God's comfort for them.
Nope, he was an atheist so no soul delivered to Heaven or Hell it just dissolved away into the abyss.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2020, 04:22:01 pm »
As far as I'm concerned, this is enough of Pete Stark's legacy for me to know what to think of his death:

https://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/2004/5/8/pete-stark-loses-it-again/

Pete Stark loses it again, after voting against a House resolution condemning the prisoner abuse in Iraq while commending soldiers serving with honor. One of the constituents of the Democratic congressman from California, a member of the California Army National Guard, life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and a member of the American Legion sent Stark a fax questioning his judgment:

Staff Sergeant Dowd wrote politely and respectfully, "There are many soldiers, sailors, Marines, airmen and Coast Guardsmen from your 13th congressional district who are serving with pride and distinction." He called Fortney's vote "a disgrace...way out of touch with the people of this district." The fax drove Fortney to call this soldier up and leave this obscenity-laced torrent of insults on his answering machine:

"Dan, this is Congressman 'Pete' Stark, and I just got your fax and you don't know what you're talking about. So if you care about enlisted people you wouldn't have voted for that thing, either. But probably somebody put you up to this, and I'm not sure who it was, but I doubt if you could spell half the words in the letter. Somebody wrote it for you so I don't pay much attention to it, but I'll call you back later and let you tell me more about why you think you're such a great G--damn hero and why you think that this general and the defense department who forced these poor enlisted (bitter laughter) guys to do what they should shouldn't be held to account. That's the issue. So if you want to stick it to a bunch of enlisted guys have your way, but if you want to get to the bottom of people who forced this awful program in...Iraq, then you should understand more about it than you obviously do. Thanks."

That is why, as awful as Eric Swillwell (intentional spelling "correction") is, I think he's less awful than was his predecessor Pete Stark. If Stark's eternal destiny is infernal, I won't rejoice. But I won't be mourning him either.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2020, 04:40:02 pm »
Former Rep. Fortney "Pete" Stark (D-CA) dies at 88

Initially running on the premise that his predecessor had been in Congress for 28 years and that that was too long, Stark went on to serve 40 years in Congress, only leaving after redistricting led to his defeat in a jungle primary by current Rep. Eric Swalwell.

He was antiwar, pro-Obamacare, atheist (the first Congress member to openly admit as much), and regularly insulted other Congress members in debates.

Obituary from the Associated Press

Wikipedia

No comment.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2020, 05:11:09 pm »
Nope, he was an atheist so no soul delivered to Heaven or Hell it just dissolved away into the abyss.

And see, I was taught that regardless of whether you believed or not, you still had a soul and it would be judged by God. 

But whatever.  Mr. Stark's fate is no longer my concern.  Not that it ever really was. 

Offline Mod5

« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2020, 06:00:41 pm »
Ixnay on the Eologythay, wink777 .

Offline Applewood

« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2020, 07:36:17 pm »

@Mod5
My bad.  I deserve one of these:

22222frying pan

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2020, 07:40:33 pm »
Kobe Bryant Dead, Dies in Helicopter Crash

Kobe Bryant died in a helicoper crash in Calabasas Sunday morning ... TMZ Sports has confirmed.

Kobe was traveling with at least 3 other people in his private helicopter when it went down. A fire broke out. Emergency personnel responded, but nobody on board survived. 5 people are confirmed dead. We're told Vanessa Bryant was not among those on board.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.

Kobe has famously used a helicopter to travel for years -- dating back to when he played for the Lakers. He was known for commuting from Newport Beach, CA to the STAPLES Center in DTLA in his Sikorsky S-76 chopper.

KB is survived by his wife Vanessa, and their four daughters -- Gianna, Natalia and Bianca and their newborn Capri.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/26/kobe-bryant-killed-dead-helicopter-crash-in-calabasas/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2020, 07:41:25 pm »
Breaking story.

RIP Kobe.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mountaineer

« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2020, 07:50:52 pm »
Wow, shocking news about Bryant. I am checking ESPN - so far, nothing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2020, 07:57:36 pm »
On FOX News now.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2020, 08:07:02 pm »
How sad. Kobe Bryant. A shock, I can't believe it.

Online corbe

« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2020, 08:48:12 pm »
   Lebron just broke Kobe's NBA scoring title last night, too (Lakers lost).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2020, 08:49:09 pm »
“We all know that Kobe loved flying on helicopters,” said Hill. “The cause of the crash has not been confirmed but there is some speculation that weather had something to do with it.”
The cause of the crash is under investigation.
As Hill reported, Bryant was an avid flyer, who enjoyed flying on helicopters.
“This was his normal mode of transportation. Most of the time, he flew from Newport Beach,” Hill said.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mountaineer

« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2020, 08:54:51 pm »
ABC reported all 4 of  his children died with him. That's been refuted, now reports say one of his daughters was with him. Seeing a lot of "we'll all remember where we were when Kobe died" posts. Uh, no.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Applewood

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2020, 09:19:08 pm »
 :0001: 8888crybaby

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2020, 09:19:53 pm »

As Hill reported, Bryant was an avid flyer, who enjoyed flying on helicopters.

“This was his normal mode of transportation. Most of the time, he flew from Newport Beach,” Hill said.

Kobe owned and/or had driven the most exotic vehicles on the planet. 

But like everybody with "Go-to-Hell" money, why not buy your own flying machine...get a rush and get there without any hassle?

...just trying to add some context here.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald