Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 94944 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Obituaries for 2020
« on: January 01, 2020, 04:58:18 pm »
A running thread for deaths in calendar year 2020.

Previous threads:

New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 05:21:27 pm »
Thank you @jmyrlefuller for setting up and maintaining/monitoring these yearly Obituaries threads.   :patriot:

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 05:22:34 pm »
   Yes, Thank You @jmyrlefuller
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 05:38:19 pm »
Thank you much for this, Myrle!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 06:09:46 pm »
Thanks to @jmyrlefuller and everyone else who regularly post updates to this thread.

I think it's a sign of my advancing age that the Obituaries thread is the one thread that I read most regularly.

*hmmmm*
Let it burn.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 08:54:24 pm »
Thank you @jmyrlefuller for setting up and maintaining/monitoring these yearly Obituaries threads.   :patriot:

Thank you @jmyrlefuller
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 09:17:14 pm »
Former NBA Commissioner David Stern Dies at 77, Weeks After Emergency Brain Surgery

Published 4 mins ago   â€¢ Updated 1 min ago
Former NBA Commissioner David Stern has died three weeks after he was hospitalized due to a “sudden brain hemorrhage,” according to the NBA. He was 77.

Stern was at a Manhattan restaurant when he collapsed on Dec. 12. The league said that he suffered a hemorrhage "for which he underwent emergency surgery. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.”

Stern served exactly 30 years as the NBA's longest-tenured commissioner before Adam Silver replaced him on Feb. 1, 2014. Stern has remained affiliated with the league with the title of commissioner emeritus and has remained active in his other interests, such as sports technology.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/former-nba-commissioner-david-stern-dies-at-77/2241128/

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 09:17:58 pm »
Former NBA Commissioner David Stern Dies at 77, Weeks After Emergency Brain Surgery

Published 4 mins ago   â€¢ Updated 1 min ago
Former NBA Commissioner David Stern has died three weeks after he was hospitalized due to a “sudden brain hemorrhage,” according to the NBA. He was 77.

Stern was at a Manhattan restaurant when he collapsed on Dec. 12. The league said that he suffered a hemorrhage "for which he underwent emergency surgery. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.”

Stern served exactly 30 years as the NBA's longest-tenured commissioner before Adam Silver replaced him on Feb. 1, 2014. Stern has remained affiliated with the league with the title of commissioner emeritus and has remained active in his other interests, such as sports technology.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/former-nba-commissioner-david-stern-dies-at-77/2241128/

First obit of the year. RIP

Offline verga

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 01:23:01 am »
BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 01:54:10 am »
Stern was as much an NBA icon as Magic, Bird and Jordan. 

Arguably the greatest Commissioner of any sport, ever.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 04:37:05 am »
Don Larsen, who pitched only perfect game in World Series history, dies at 90
By Bill Madden
New York Daily News

By his own admission, Don Larsen was a most imperfect fellow and therefore about the unlikeliest man to ever pitch the only perfect game in World Series history. But pitch it he did, on October 8, 1956, a 97-pitch, 2-0 gem in Game 5 that gave the Yankees a 3-2 lead in the Series against the Dodgers and set them up for winning their sixth world championship in eight years under manager Casey Stengel.

Larsen, 90, died Wednesday in hospice in Hayden, Idaho, of esophageal cancer, a party guy to the end who achieved baseball immortality that one sun-splashed autumn afternoon at Yankee Stadium despite an otherwise mediocre 81-91 pitching career with seven different major league teams from 1953-67 . . .

RIP Mr. Larsen. Yogi's waiting up there for you to leap into his arms again . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 10:25:53 pm »
Former Bengals, Bucs coach Sam Wyche dies at 74
Posted by Charean Williams on January 2, 2020, 3:59 PM EST

He led the Bengals to the Super Bowl in 1988 but perhaps is best known for taking the field microphone during a game against the Seahawks in 1989. With Bengals fans pelting the field with snowballs after an official’s call went against the home team, Wyche yelled over the PA system, “Will the next person that sees anybody throw anything onto the field, point them out, and get them out of here. You don’t live in Cleveland! You live in Cincinnati!”

The line is repeated often in Cincinnati.

Wyche died Thursday at his home in Pickens, South Carolina, after a short battle with metastatic melanoma, Peter King of NBC reports. Wyche was 74.

Read more at: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/02/former-bengals-bucs-head-coach-sam-wyche-dies-at-74/

Does this make 3 for 3 passings from the world of sport! I remember Sam...

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 01:20:20 pm »
Billionaire Businessman Ronald Burkle's Son Andrew Found Dead at 27 in His Beverly Hills Home
The producer will be remembered as a "young man full of life," his family tells PEOPLE
By Robyn Merrett, Ashley Boucher, Chelsea White and Melody Chiu
 January 07, 2020 02:10 AM
Andrew Burkle — the son of billionaire businessman Ronald Burkle — has been found dead in his Beverly Hills home, PEOPLE confirms.

Andrew was confirmed dead on Monday by authorities and will be remembered as a “young man full of life,” his family said in a statement to PEOPLE. He was 27.

“It is with the deepest regret and sadness that we announce the death of Andrew C. Burkle on January 6, 2020 in Beverly Hills, California,” his bereaved family said. “He is deeply loved by his family and friends and will be greatly missed.”

Andrew was known as a young man full of life and entrepreneurial energy. Everyone he met commented on his humble demeanor and hard work,” the statement continues. ...
People magazine

Related?
What did Ron Burkle get out of his relationship with the Clintons? An education, he says
By Evan Halper Staff Writer
Jan. 7, 2016
1:44 PM

Befriending Bill and Hillary Clinton — and giving them access to his private 757 jet — gave Ron Burkle more insight into world affairs than any graduate program might have.

At one point the billionaire businessman was on half of all the trips the former president made abroad. Burkle says he met 47 world leaders in 47 countries. There was a private meeting Clinton held with Nelson Mandela that went on for hours; Burkle was in the room.  ...

Burkle talked about the experiences during an expansive interview with the Los Angeles Times this week, in which he also expressed ambivalence about Hillary Clinton’s candidacy, reflected on his now-dissolved $15-million business partnership with Bill Clinton and explained why he is cohosting a fundraiser for Republican presidential candidate John Kasich.  ...

Burkle’s ambivalence about Hillary Clinton’s candidacy is puzzling to other Democratic power players.

The Clintons are well known to value loyalty. And Burkle may ultimately test whether he can step back in the inner circle after stepping so far out of it. ...
Just sayin'.   :pondering: Full story at L.A. Times
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 01:27:56 pm »
Oh here we go.  The young man isn't even cold yet and the conspiracy theories have already started. 

So we know about the old man was a partner of the Clintons, but what do we know about the son?  Did he have drug/alcohol addictions?  Did he have a history of depression or other mental illness? 

This conspiracy chit is getting old.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 01:29:34 pm »
It was a joke, kind of in the "Epstein didn't kill himself" vein.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2020, 01:38:57 pm »
It was a joke, kind of in the "Epstein didn't kill himself" vein.

@mountaineer

Not unhappy with you, but it seems that the death of anyone with even the most remote connection to the Clintons is the subject of the "Clintons killed him" conspiracy theories.  These days, even dead people who never met the Clintons are being added to the Clintons' supposed body counts. 

Sadly, those who subscribe to these conspiracy theories are serious about them.  Epstein's death is but one example.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2020, 10:58:49 pm »
@mountaineer

Not unhappy with you, but it seems that the death of anyone with even the most remote connection to the Clintons is the subject of the "Clintons killed him" conspiracy theories.  These days, even dead people who never met the Clintons are being added to the Clintons' supposed body counts. 

Sadly, those who subscribe to these conspiracy theories are serious about them.  Epstein's death is but one example.
Conspiracy theories are an attempt to explain patterns or events observed. Sure seems like a lot of people who have been associated with the Clintons end up dead, and many under readily questionable or unusual circumstances.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 03:02:18 am »
Oh, she is an American, anyway,
Elizabeth Wurtzel: Prozac Nation author dies aged 52

Elizabeth Wurtzel, author of the best-selling 1994 memoir Prozac Nation which detailed her struggles with depression and addiction, has died aged 52.

Her husband, Jim Freed, told US media she died at a New York hospital after a long battle with cancer.

Published when she was in her 20s, Prozac Nation divided critics. Some praised Ms Wurtzel for her candor while others said she was self-absorbed.

More: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51024913

Sounds like an interesting book to me. Rest in peace, sad, she battled cancer.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:03:11 am by TomSea »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2020, 12:18:38 pm »
Rip Ms. Wurtzel.

Your book was in my library.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2020, 12:56:06 pm »
That prozac nation sounds like a good book. I know nobody here, has probably gone through real depression.

I've already heard, this fellow was a Cuban American:

Silvio Horta, 45, ‘Ugly Betty’ creator, found dead

By Stuart Oldham, Variety

Silvio Horta, creator of ABC’s popular series “Ugly Betty,” was found dead in a Miami motel room on Tuesday. He was 45.

A representative for Horta confirmed his death, but declined to comment on the nature of it.

The American version of “Ugly Betty,” which starred America Ferrera, ran for four seasons on ABC from 2006 to 2010 and was adapted from the hit Colombian telenovela “Yo soy Betty, la fea.” Horta served as showrunner and head writer on the comedy-drama.

More at: https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-ent-silvio-horta-ugly-betty-dead-20200108-73dkwnywknbw7pq7kz7cgaile4-story.html

That show was a rage.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2020, 01:28:56 pm »
That prozac nation sounds like a good book. I know nobody here, has probably gone through real depression.

I've already heard, this fellow was a Cuban American:

That show was a rage.

@TomSea I’m going to respectfully disagree. Just because no one here has talked about it, doesn’t mean they suffer from Churchill’s black dog.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2020, 01:37:26 pm »
@TomSea I’m going to respectfully disagree. Just because no one here has talked about it, doesn’t mean they suffer from Churchill’s black dog.

I agree.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 04:03:12 pm »
We all have our low points. Some lower than others. Never give up. There is a light at the end of the tunnel (see avatar).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 04:03:29 pm »
@TomSea

Look before you leap---the pool may be empty, and the headache on landing is murder.

I didn't get to read Prozac Nation (RIP Ms. Wurtzel) but I've dealt with depression most of my life. And it wasn't until I came to live in Las Vegas that I finally got the right diagnosis for my condition, an anxiety disorder with a degree of clinical depression (I was mis-diagnosed as full-blown manic depressive long enough ago, and I'm pretty certain that a couple of the medications I was prescribed---for the record, Prozac wasn't one of them---probably screwed me and my chemistry up even more than I was already screwed up) and have since been on a very good program of vitamin therapy. My only regret is that I didn't get the right diagnosis far, far sooner, I might not have screwed up as much of my life as I did or hurt as many people I loved as I did. I've been in a better place the last twelve years than I'd ever been before as far as that goes

It's not easy to talk about. It never really has been. And I suspect that there are a few among us here who deal with one or another degree of depression, have done so for long enough, and simply choose not to discuss it on the forum even in those couple of outlets where we're encouraged to do so. We don't wear sandwich boards saying, "Hi! I'm a clinical depressive!" and we don't advertise our conditions otherwise, we live and deal with them each in our own ways. And for myself, though I'm sure anyone else here dealing with anything similar, I thank God for every day I live and for those who remain in my life.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 04:06:27 pm »
We all have our low points. Some lower than others. Never give up. There is a light at the end of the tunnel (see avatar).
@Smokin Joe

I have to admit when I first saw your avatar I thought it was a subway tunnel with a train whistling in toward the next station!

(Sorry---I grew up in and around New York City and I'll always have sweet memories of how much fun I had on the subways in those years, whether it was catching one off the Long Island Rail Road terminal in Manhattan to head up back to the Bronx to visit my grandparents or roaming around the city hunting things like a couple of museums, a couple of book and music stores I loved, the Fillmore East and one or two jazz clubs, and Shea Stadium . . . )