Author Topic: Betelgeuse is the dimmest seen in years, prompting speculation that the star is about to explode  (Read 626 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Strange Sounds 12/30/2019

Normally, Betelgeuse is Among the 10 Brightest Stars in the Sky – Now it’s the Dimmest it’s Been in Almost a Century – Will It Explode Soon?

A giant star is acting strange, and astronomers are buzzing.

The red giant Betelgeuse is the dimmest seen in years, prompting some speculation that the star is about to explode.

In a recent survey, astronomers discovered that more than hundred stars had disappeared in the night sky over a span of less than 50 years. That’s really a lot. And now, one of the brightest star in the sky – the giant red star Betelgeuse, which marks the hunter’s right shoulder – is the dimmest it’s been in almost a century. And many believe it is about to explode.

Normally, Betelgeuse is among the 10 brightest stars in the sky. However, by mid-December, the star had faded so much it wasn’t even in the top 20 and that the outline of Orion is noticeably different.

Betelgeuse Mysterious Dimming

To be clear, dimming alone isn’t all that odd for a star like Betelgeuse as it’s known as a variable star, and thus shifts in brightness.

However, it is unusual for one of the sky’s most prominent points of light to fade so noticeably. This fact brings scientists to consider another exciting possibility: Betelgeuse explosion and death.

More: https://strangesounds.org/2019/12/betelgeuse-mysterious-dimming-star-about-to-explode.html

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Some perspective. Betelgeuse is fourth from the right. The Sun is at the farthest left as the barely visible dot.

If at the center of the solar system, it's diameter would encompass the orbit of the astroid belt if not Jupiter.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 12:42:44 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
In what year would someone on earth see this explosion? Answer: Betelgeuse is 650 light years from Earth so it takes light 650 years to reach us .If the explosion happened in the Year 3000 AD, then we will see the light arrive in the year 3650 AD, 650 years AFTER the event occurred.

If it's alright with everyone I'll put my worries about Betelgeuse aside since we are all supposed to die in a few years anyway.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I just hope it hadn't exploded back in the year 1370.

Offline Joe Wooten

I just hope it hadn't exploded back in the year 1370.

We are out of the kill radius for it. Kill radius is about 50 ly. We would get a great light how from it though.