No, they're reprobates
2 (9.1%)
What Neighbors? (roamer_1 option)
3 (13.6%)
They're OK but I avoid them if at all possible
6 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: January 07, 2020, 06:23:03 pm

Author Topic: Do you get along with your neighbors?  (Read 5057 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Do you get along with your neighbors?
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2019, 04:40:29 am »
Good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise, by mid summer I won't have any neighbors.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 04:41:28 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 04:29:03 pm »
Test Post.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2019, 05:55:49 pm »
Yes.

Of course,the closest one is over a mile away,and they have to pass by my house going and coming. We go months and never do more than wave at each other as they pass.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2019, 07:00:58 pm »
Grew up in a small, close knit neighborhood where everyone knew everyone else and would help if you asked,  but not meddle. Good people -- never had to worry about crime.  Could leave your doors unlocked and, in summer, wide open when you weren't home. 

Moved to the big city in the 1970s -- what a change! -- where everyone kept to him'herself.  In 1989, I bought a house in the old neighborhood and moved back, Still not a bad place for the first few years, but by the mid-1990s as the older generation died off and the younger generation moved away, the town became infested with gangstas, then illegals and alleged refugees.  As I mentioned elsewhere, the town has now become a dumping ground for the homeless, mentally ill, drug addicts and alcoholics and a few days ago, I learned there is a convicted pedophile living a block away. 

So no, I'm not close to my neighbors.  Don't want to know them. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2019, 07:12:27 pm »
Grew up in a small, close knit neighborhood where everyone knew everyone else and would help if you asked,  but not meddle. Good people -- never had to worry about crime.  Could leave your doors unlocked and, in summer, wide open when you weren't home. 

Moved to the big city in the 1970s -- what a change! -- where everyone kept to him'herself.  In 1989, I bought a house in the old neighborhood and moved back, Still not a bad place for the first few years, but by the mid-1990s as the older generation died off and the younger generation moved away, the town became infested with gangstas, then illegals and alleged refugees.  As I mentioned elsewhere, the town has now become a dumping ground for the homeless, mentally ill, drug addicts and alcoholics and a few days ago, I learned there is a convicted pedophile living a block away. 

Well, that sucks!  I guess it's true what they say...You can never really "go home."   :shrug:

I was never enamored of my original home town back in MI, so the couple of times I decided to move out, it was always someplace new.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2019, 07:24:33 pm »

@Applewood

You might consider moving if you can afford to move and your location isn't dependent on your job.  A used mobile home on a 1 acre lot in the country won't cost that much,and you can live in peace.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2019, 07:46:44 pm »
@Applewood

You might consider moving if you can afford to move and your location isn't dependent on your job.  A used mobile home on a 1 acre lot in the country won't cost that much,and you can live in peace.

@sneakypete

Thanks for the advice.  I' had thought about selling a few years ago, but I procrastinated.  Now I'll be lucky if I could recoup the price I paid in 1989.  A shame since I've sunk serious money into the place to improve and maintain it, but I won't get that money back for sure.

I have an aunt, age 88, who is looking into an assisted living/retirement community.  I gathered some info for her and kept a copy for myself.  I may join her.  This community will, if desired, take the house and sell it or whatever to help pay for a client's fees and costs to live there.  Since I'm not going to get any money for the house anyway, I think this might be the best course of action for me. 

Offline darroll

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2020, 06:31:39 pm »
I live in libville.
Dopers on one side and lbgwhatever live on the other side.
The dopers don't know Christmas is past. (their Christmas lights are still on)
The others don't do yard work, their attack dogs bark at butterflies and every other mean thing.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2020, 06:35:00 pm »
   NT'ers still have rights, ya know @LegalAmerican ~ His second term hasn't started yet

Dayum...
 :cool:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2020, 06:40:21 pm »
Good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise, by mid summer I won't have any neighbors.

You got Indians up there.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2020, 06:42:25 pm »
I live in libville.
The others don't do yard work, their attack dogs bark at butterflies and every other mean thing.

Maybe time to move?  Just sayin'
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online corbe

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2020, 06:45:10 pm »
   My neighbor still has her Christmas lights up and turns them on every night, I'd rather not get involved seeing how she's in a HOA and I'm certain she will be getting a cease and desist order soon. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2020, 07:12:15 pm »
I live in libville.

:shrug:
I live in redneck town. Well not exactly, cuz I ain't in town. I leave my Christmas lights hung all year long. And you'd be hard-pressed to see my yard mowed, and or worse chance, my neighbors. And you get out of town a little ways, somebody's dog is barking oh, pretty well all the time.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2020, 07:14:02 pm »
You got Indians up there.

I sure hope so!

Offline berdie

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2020, 10:25:38 pm »
I love my "neighbors". We don't live too close but will be there in a heartbeat if there is an emergency.

Back in the day when we were all younger...we had cook-outs. No longer, sadly

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2020, 11:35:50 pm »
:shrug:
I live in redneck town. Well not exactly, cuz I ain't in town. I leave my Christmas lights hung all year long. And you'd be hard-pressed to see my yard mowed, and or worse chance, my neighbors. And you get out of town a little ways, somebody's dog is barking oh, pretty well all the time.
I dunno. Mowing the yard cuts down on ticks, and leaves that much less close in to burn if something gets out of hand.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2020, 12:39:27 am »
I dunno. Mowing the yard cuts down on ticks, and leaves that much less close in to burn if something gets out of hand.

Sure... mowed down, not 'mown' ... It ain't 4 feet tall or nothin like that... And since I don't water it, once it dries out, one more mow and it ain't growing anymore... so fire is no worry. I cut it to keep in front of it all spring... maybe twice in july, once in august, and forget about it. Even trim it sometimes too... A far cry from the suburban definition, and I am pretty sure most here would be aghast...

Back in the sticks, I'd just let the horses in now and then.  :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2020, 01:01:21 am »
It ain't like I don't have a garden tractor. I have four. And two of them even run.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2020, 01:07:48 am »
I sure do. Of course,the closest one is a little more than a mile away.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2020, 02:01:54 am »
Sure... mowed down, not 'mown' ... It ain't 4 feet tall or nothin like that... And since I don't water it, once it dries out, one more mow and it ain't growing anymore... so fire is no worry. I cut it to keep in front of it all spring... maybe twice in july, once in august, and forget about it. Even trim it sometimes too... A far cry from the suburban definition, and I am pretty sure most here would be aghast...

Back in the sticks, I'd just let the horses in now and then.  :shrug:

The Castle is on about an acre, much of it steep.  The neighborhood all has "Natural Desert" which means everybody just ignores it so it's full of cactus, Manzanita and some tumbleweeds.  We just have to maintain the patch of gravel that surrounds the buildings.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2020, 02:37:15 am »
We just have to maintain the patch of gravel that surrounds the buildings.

Which generally means 'blow it off a couple times a year'  :laugh:

I figger I am doing alright if I don't need to bring in the tractor with a brush hog... Which has only happened a couple times.  :whistle:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2020, 03:24:37 am »
I get along fairly well with all my neighbors, at least I try. Some years back though, I was at the end of my rope. A woman down the street started calling the cops on me most every day claiming I hadn't moved my truck in over 24 hours. The city had passed a law that you can't block the sidewalk when you park in your driveway. And then there was a new law, you can't park in your yard. So I had to park on the curb. It got so old I prepped the family to document everytime the cops came to see if I could get her for harassment. Then one day the cops came out 3 times on the same day. I had a pretty good idea of who it was so I put the word out for her to cut it out and no more visits by the cops.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2020, 03:39:20 am »
Which generally means 'blow it off a couple times a year'  :laugh:

I figger I am doing alright if I don't need to bring in the tractor with a brush hog... Which has only happened a couple times.  :whistle:

Well, I need to throw pre-emergent on it every spring, after Mrs/ Liberty finishes planting stuff.  90 % of the land needs zero maintenance.  My kind of "lawn."  Mrs. Liberty does have a blow-torch to handle the occasional pop-up weeds.  So, we don't weed or mow, we burn off.  I might be a redneck.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2020, 03:47:57 am »
Well, I need to throw pre-emergent on it every spring, after Mrs/ Liberty finishes planting stuff.  90 % of the land needs zero maintenance.  My kind of "lawn."  Mrs. Liberty does have a blow-torch to handle the occasional pop-up weeds.  So, we don't weed or mow, we burn off. I might be a redneck.

Close. You still need derelict vehicles, a couch and a freezer on the porch, and a desire and the ability to blow sh*t up...  :laugh:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2020, 03:53:17 am »
Close. You still need derelict vehicles, a couch and a freezer on the porch, and a desire and the ability to blow sh*t up...  :laugh:

The cheapo cigarette store at the res across the river has a nice selection of fireworks.  Tons and tons of mortar shells seems to be their specialty.
I will NOT comply.