Author Topic: The Case for Making Cities Out of Wood  (Read 527 times)

rangerrebew

The Case for Making Cities Out of Wood
« on: December 27, 2019, 01:06:39 pm »
The Case for Making Cities Out of Wood
Could a synthesized wood that’s as “strong as steel” be the backbone of future cities?
Nautilus |

Brian Gallagher

An Alphabet subsidiary is planning to build a futuristic neighborhood, not out of concrete and steel, but wood—and wood is looking good. Photo by Daici Ano / Flickr.

In 2018, Dan Doctoroff, the C.E.O. of Sidewalk Labs, Google’s sibling company under Alphabet, answered a question about what his company “actually does” during a Reddit “Ask Me Anything” session, replying, “The short answer is: We want to build the first truly 21st-century city.” Quayside, a Toronto neighborhood the company is developing in partnership with a Canadian tri-government agency, is the first step toward Doctoroff’s goal. It has been in the news because it could inspire a Black Mirror plot: It will be built from “the Internet up,” according to a project document, a merger of “physical and digital realms.” Fittingly, according to the New York Times, “No obvious way to opt out of Quayside’s surveillance systems exists, except by staying out of the area.”

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-case-for-making-cities-out-of-wood?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Offline dfwgator

Re: The Case for Making Cities Out of Wood
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 01:50:22 pm »
What could possibly go wrong?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 10:33:55 pm »
Is this article paid for by the International Firefighter's Union?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 10:51:09 pm »
Hey! Termites gotta eat, too!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis