Poll

What is your Favorite Brand of household appliances?

GE
3 (9.4%)
Whirlpool
5 (15.6%)
Frigidaire
3 (9.4%)
Samsung
5 (15.6%)
LG
7 (21.9%)
Maytag
3 (9.4%)
Other
6 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: January 10, 2020, 03:53:04 pm

Author Topic: What is your Favorite Brand of household appliances?  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: What is your Favorite Brand of household appliances?
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2020, 12:15:01 am »
The heat played hell on those bushings. I never had to replace one, but I sure cleaned and relubed them over an over an over. I know you're to oil bushings, but I used synthetic wheel bearing grease instead.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2020, 01:23:34 am »
The things you see when ya ain't got yer 12 gauge. @Cyber Liberty @mystery-ak
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2020, 01:30:15 am »
The things you see when ya ain't got yer 12 gauge. @Cyber Liberty @mystery-ak

Trespassers will be shot.  And thanks, @bigheadfred
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2020, 01:47:22 am »
Trespassers will be shot.  And thanks, @bigheadfred

Thank you. Nice shot.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2020, 06:14:51 am »
The heat played hell on those bushings. I never had to replace one, but I sure cleaned and relubed them over an over an over. I know you're to oil bushings, but I used synthetic wheel bearing grease instead.

I almost certainly used Kendall Super-Blue... Shoot, I would be using it still, but I can't find it anymore. But that was in my grease pot at the time... And yeah, I am talking about a decade or more fussing with that stupid pulley. I could no longer get the OEM bushing (which also supplied thrust IIRC)... I remember refacing an oil-lite bushing a couple times... and several iterations later, was in brass and grease  (drilled for a zerk fitting)... The final iteration was a sealed bearing, but that took too much of the shoulder and eventually failed.

Should have took the time right off the bat to replace the pulley with a steel or aluminum one (pot metal, really?), and I would never have had all the grief from it. But I was young at the time, and impatient. Older is wiser I guess, because I would not have played nursemaid to it now, and would have done a proper job off the get-go.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2020, 07:47:39 am »
Bulletproof. Seriously. Nuff said.
I had the same good fortune with them. Lasted 15 years (washer) doing big loads often. The dryer went even longer (I replaced the element once).
When we had the money, we replaced them with the ('water saving','energy efficient',) Whirlpool Duet, washer and dryer pair, which quit in two years, washer first, because of motherboard issues, and which had other problems on the way, from eating socks to shredding clothes, then the dryer which had an in case flash fire because there was a 1/2" gap between the filter housing and vent pipe, which eventually filled the case with very fine lint. (Most acrid smoke I have ever come across, and I was a firefighter for four years). The MOBO went out in that, too, not long after cleaning it out, checking all the wiring and closing the gap in the vent line.

Never again.

Currently running Amana and after five years of hard use I hear some backlash in the gears on the washer (top load, big tub), and on the dryer, have replaced the drum rollers, refurbished the timer, and replaced the door switch, but those machines have been running almost 8 hours a day since we got them.

In the meantime, I keep my eyes open for another pair of Speed Queens in case...because I can open them up and fix them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online rustynail

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2020, 12:41:19 pm »
I almost certainly used Kendall Super-Blue... Shoot, I would be using it still, but I can't find it anymore. But that was in my grease pot at the time... And yeah, I am talking about a decade or more fussing with that stupid pulley. I could no longer get the OEM bushing (which also supplied thrust IIRC)... I remember refacing an oil-lite bushing a couple times... and several iterations later, was in brass and grease  (drilled for a zerk fitting)... The final iteration was a sealed bearing, but that took too much of the shoulder and eventually failed.

Should have took the time right off the bat to replace the pulley with a steel or aluminum one (pot metal, really?), and I would never have had all the grief from it. But I was young at the time, and impatient. Older is wiser I guess, because I would not have played nursemaid to it now, and would have done a proper job off the get-go.

https://www.amazon.com/Kendall-5677867-L-427-Super-Grease/dp/B074FY448C

Online roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2020, 02:49:16 pm »
https://www.amazon.com/Kendall-5677867-L-427-Super-Grease/dp/B074FY448C

@rustynail
Yes, and thank you... I know.
I meant that I can't get it locally anymore.  :shrug:
Call me crazy, but shop consumables are more reliable through the old-school warehouse network. I can't stand running out of stuff I need all the time. But I DO very much miss Kendall products...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2020, 03:04:04 pm »
Never again.

Currently running Amana and after five years of hard use I hear some backlash in the gears on the washer (top load, big tub), and on the dryer, have replaced the drum rollers, refurbished the timer, and replaced the door switch, but those machines have been running almost 8 hours a day since we got them.

In the meantime, I keep my eyes open for another pair of Speed Queens in case...because I can open them up and fix them.

I find appliances to be a lot like tires. I quite buying used tires a long time ago. The best 75% of a tire is in the first 25% of the tread. I will still buy used rubber but only if it is pristine with the nubbins still on em. Doing otherwise was actually costing me more in real money and grief.

Same kind of thing with appliances. I buy em new anymore... The chances of finding good ones on the used market is between slim and none, as I have to rely on what's coming down the river... while buying new, I can point directly at the ones that ARE good to the exclusion of all others - like Speed Queen heavy duty w/ mechanical controls... Pay once and never again. Mo bedda.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2020, 03:24:24 pm »
The thing I am really kicking myself over from the divorce is letting her have the magic hamper.

Why is it that my magic hamper always seems to miss a spot?  I think it is defective!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2020, 03:33:18 pm »

Why is it that my magic hamper always seems to miss a spot?  I think it is defective!

Well my hamper now doesn't work at all. All I do is fill it up with dirty clothes... And I mean tamped down with a stick... No matter what, the clothes NEVER leave the hamper, not to mention winding up neatly folded in my drawers... And if I just throw them on the floor, well, there they lay. It's the strangest thing...

I think the dang thing's busted.  :shrug: :whistle: