Poll

What is your Favorite Brand of household appliances?

GE
3 (9.4%)
Whirlpool
5 (15.6%)
Frigidaire
3 (9.4%)
Samsung
5 (15.6%)
LG
7 (21.9%)
Maytag
3 (9.4%)
Other
6 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: January 10, 2020, 03:53:04 pm

Author Topic: What is your Favorite Brand of household appliances?  (Read 3972 times)

Offline corbe

What is your Favorite Brand of household appliances?
« on: December 26, 2019, 03:53:04 pm »
   I've had good luck with Whirlpool appliances, so after spending $150 in parts to save a quiet 20yo Whirlpool Refrigerator/Freezer that is slowly giving up the Ghost, I gave up and bought another Whirlpool, to be delivered in a couple of weeks.  I've had bad luck with Frigidaire and Samsung appliances. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: What is your Favorite Brand of household appliances?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 09:56:57 am »
Growing up my parents bought all major appliances through Sears.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 12:41:02 pm »
Growing up my parents bought all major appliances through Sears.

My parents bought almost everything at Sears.  Appliances, TVs, clothes, shoes, linens, tools, paint, lawn mowers, you name it.  The local Sears had a candy counter that sold gummy-like candies my Dad liked.  So every time Mom went to Sears, she had to being home a bag of these candies for Dad. 

As an adult, when I bought my house, I followed the tradition and bought appliances and paint at Sears.   Awful.   I still have my refrigerator, but I'm actually looking forward to it giving up the ghost.  Worst refrigerator ever.  Buying more Samsung now. 

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 12:55:17 pm »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 01:35:46 pm »

@thackney

If I had the room for it and the financial means to afford it, that's what I would buy -- top of the line, professional grade.  Every time I go to the annual hone show and see these professional chef kitchens, I get depressed.  LOL 

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 02:11:25 pm »
@thackney

If I had the room for it and the financial means to afford it, that's what I would buy -- top of the line, professional grade.  Every time I go to the annual hone show and see these professional chef kitchens, I get depressed.  LOL

The Viking set up we have looks like the one pictured.  A couple months after the remodel was finished Hurricane Harvey took it out.  Made me sick to put it in the dumpster.  Exact same model used in the rebuild.  My wife loves to bake and it was one of the promises I made her to move into rural land.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 02:19:53 pm »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 06:11:06 pm »
Definitely GE.  We replaced a dishwasher with a high end Samsung and it lasted all of 18 months.  It was going to cost more to repair it than it was worth.  So ... we went down and bought an inexpensive GE dishwasher, nothing fancy, but it lasted over 15 years before we sold our home. It cleaned like no other dishwasher we've had and it was quiet.  We also left behind a GE washer and dryer that we bought over 20 years ago -- never a problem.

The new home we moved into came with all Frigidaire appliances ... not impressed ... but they came with the house, so we'll see.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 04:37:49 pm »
Definitely GE.  We replaced a dishwasher with a high end Samsung and it lasted all of 18 months.  It was going to cost more to repair it than it was worth.  So ... we went down and bought an inexpensive GE dishwasher, nothing fancy, but it lasted over 15 years before we sold our home. It cleaned like no other dishwasher we've had and it was quiet.  We also left behind a GE washer and dryer that we bought over 20 years ago -- never a problem.

The new home we moved into came with all Frigidaire appliances ... not impressed ... but they came with the house, so we'll see.

Unfortunately, these days all major appliances are made to die in a very short time.  It's all that electronic/computer [bleep] they all have.  When my last washer and dryer died within days of each other, I was told both suffered from dead motherboards and to replace those would cost $600 each (not including labor).  For $1200, I might as well buy a whole new set.

And that's what the manufacturers want you to do -- buy new every few years -- to maximize their profits.  My aforementioned lousy refrigerator doesn't have all that technology, so it's about ten years old and will likely last a while longer.  But the next refrigerator won't last nearly as long. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 10:30:01 pm »
Unfortunately, these days all major appliances are made to die in a very short time.  It's all that electronic/computer [bleep] they all have.  When my last washer and dryer died within days of each other, I was told both suffered from dead motherboards and to replace those would cost $600 each (not including labor).  For $1200, I might as well buy a whole new set.

And that's what the manufacturers want you to do -- buy new every few years -- to maximize their profits.  My aforementioned lousy refrigerator doesn't have all that technology, so it's about ten years old and will likely last a while longer.  But the next refrigerator won't last nearly as long.

Speed Queen. Heavy Duty. Still has wholly mechanical controls. Best available today. Seven years in since new, I recently took them out and apart for a general maintenance look-see. Still like the day they were made. Not a single point of wear.

Online berdie

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 11:05:07 pm »
Speed Queen. Heavy Duty. Still has wholly mechanical controls. Best available today. Seven years in since new, I recently took them out and apart for a general maintenance look-see. Still like the day they were made. Not a single point of wear.

I had an appliance repairman tell me "Speed Queen" several years ago. They are expensive little puppies.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 11:08:15 pm »

I had an appliance repairman tell me "Speed Queen" several years ago. They are expensive little puppies.

Bulletproof. Seriously. Nuff said.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 11:11:31 pm »

It's too bad we can't get machines without that computer nonsense anymore.  A friend has an old washer/dryer pair and I keep telling her when they malfunction to get them fixed if possible.  Her dryer was acting up recently.  Took a while to find a repairman who could actually fix the thing.  I guess most of the younger guys only know what to do with the newer models.  She was lucky this guy had a supply of old parts too.  With older models, finding parts can be difficult, if not impossible. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 11:21:20 pm »
It's too bad we can't get machines without that computer nonsense anymore.  A friend has an old washer/dryer pair and I keep telling her when they malfunction to get them fixed if possible.  Her dryer was acting up recently.  Took a while to find a repairman who could actually fix the thing.  I guess most of the younger guys only know what to do with the newer models.  She was lucky this guy had a supply of old parts too.  With older models, finding parts can be difficult, if not impossible.

But you can... That's what I mean about Speed Queen. They do have a cheap line, and those are computerized... But their heavy duty line is still 100% mechanical controls.

I look for that particularly in home appliances. ZERO computerization, ZERO IoT.

But, wrt them Speed Queen washers and dryers, I am not a very good example, Shoot them things never do nothing but loaf... Being Heavy Duty, I stuff em full with one load once a week, and that's all she wrote... They hardly ever get stretched out unless folks are in town, and spring and fall cleaning time. I doubt I will ever buy another... I will get another 15 years out of em easy.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 11:26:05 pm »
I voted Other:

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2020, 11:30:19 pm »
I voted Other:

I bet those models have high maintenance costs
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 11:35:39 pm »

If you Lease, it works out to be cheaper over the 20 year life expectancy of the machine.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 11:36:15 pm »
I voted Other:

The thing I am really kicking myself over from the divorce is letting her have the magic hamper.

Offline corbe

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 11:36:46 pm »
   And the early withdrawal penalty is substantial on that particular brand.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 11:42:31 pm »
   And the early withdrawal penalty is substantial on that particular brand.

Use the Fluff and Fold setting and you'll be okay. 

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2020, 11:45:09 pm »
Use the Fluff and Fold setting and you'll be okay.
Hahahahaha
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2020, 11:45:10 pm »
My favorite brand is whatever costs between $50-$150 at the thrift stores.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2020, 11:48:47 pm »

Right. So do as @roamer_1  says and go to for the heavy duty ones.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 12:00:13 am »
I picked up a 60's vintage Kenmore Gas dryer when I got outta the Navy in 78 fer abt 60 bucks. Kept it running for 20 yrs or so. I shoulda never got rid of it. Its only problem was it had a "hot wire" gas igniter. I replaced it with a spark igniter I rigged up with a car coil powered by a triac light dimmer. As long as I periodically lubed the bearings it never gave me a bit of trouble. I may have changed the belt a time or 2.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 12:05:45 am »
I picked up a 60's vintage Kenmore Gas dryer when I got outta the Navy in 78 fer abt 60 bucks. Kept it running for 20 yrs or so. I shoulda never got rid of it. Its only problem was it had a "hot wire" gas igniter. I replaced it with a spark igniter I rigged up with a car coil powered by a triac light dimmer. As long as I periodically lubed the bearings it never gave me a bit of trouble. I may have changed the belt a time or 2.

Been there done that... It was the big pot metal pulley in the back that finally did it in. I rebushed it several times, finally going to a bearing, but when that went, there wasn't enough meat left in the center of that pulley to make do, and i was left with either machining a new pulley or finally chunkin the thing.