Author Topic: Can Houston tunnel its way to flood protection? The county is studying the idea  (Read 550 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Zach Despart Dec. 25, 2019

With engineers working at a feverish pace to get more than 200 projects in its $2.5 billion bond program moving, much of the Flood Control District’s efforts are focused on nuts-and-bolts improvements — including widening bayous, digging detention basins and purchasing flood prone homes.

From his cramped office at district headquarters, however, engineer Scott Elmer is pursuing the most ambitious project the agency has ever conceived: massive tunnels that could funnel stormwater beneath the region’s bayou network to the Houston Ship Channel.

The tunnels could provide a crucial new tool to complement existing flood control methods, as new development in fast-growing Harris County and more intense storms wrought by climate change place additional pressure on infrastructure.

“When you look at events such as Hurricane Harvey and Tropical Storm Imelda, it’s time for that type of out-of-the-box thinking,” Elmer said.

The flood control district has considered tunnels since the 1990s, though plans have never advanced beyond paper. Since Harvey in 2017, which flooded more than 200,000 county residences and damaged many of the district’s defenses, the county has revisited the idea.

A study engineers completed in October reached two important conclusions — that tunnels feasibly could be constructed and they could move substantial amounts of stormwater that otherwise could pool in neighborhoods or push bayous over their banks. Encouraged by the results, the district has begun a second phase of research, which over the next year will map one to five possible routes. A third one-year phase would include a geotechnical analysis to evaluate construction challenges.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Can-Houston-tunnel-its-way-to-flood-protection-14923189.php

Offline MajorClay

After reading the article, it looks like a money pit.

Offline thackney

After reading the article, it looks like a money pit.

At a price tag of about $100 million per mile, even a single 20-mile route connecting the Addicks and Barker reservoirs to the ship channel would cost around $2 billion.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online corbe

As Houston continues to sink due to ground water subsistence is this even feasible or just a massive gov boondoggle?  Might be time to do what Nawlins did, setup pumping stations everywhere. 
   Glad I'm outta both of those cities.

The Chronicle never lets me read their $hit and I use to deliver that rag back in the early 60's on my bike.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 03:30:09 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline thackney

As Houston continues to sink due to ground water subsistence is this even feasible or just a massive gov boondoggle?  Might be time to do what Nawlins did, setup pumping stations everywhere. 

The Chronicle never lets me read their $hit and I use to deliver that rag back in the early 60's on my bike.

Downtown Houston is 40~50 feet above sea level.  Addicks and Barker reservoirs where they talk of starting the tunnels is 80~100 feet above sea level.

Clean out your internet cookies to read The Chronicle and most others for free.

Online corbe

Thanks for that info @thackney
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline thackney

For reference:  The area being discussed and how Hurricane Harvey floodwaters rose and moved.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

New Orleans would be better off moving in 20' of earth over the entire city and starting all over.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington