Author Topic: Looking back to December 1998 as Washington braces for President Trump's impeachment vote  (Read 769 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
ABC13 12/19/2019

Bill Clinton Impeachment: Looking back to December 1998 as Washington braces for President Trump's impeachment vote

As the House of Representatives officially voted to impeach President Donald Trump, America is reminded of a very similar and simultaneously very different showdown in Washington: the impeachment of President Bill Clinton.

The Republican-controlled House voted in October 1998 to begin impeachment proceedings against Clinton after months of controversy over his relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

That vote was triggered by two rounds of testimony given by Clinton earlier in the year. In January, he denied having a sexual relationship with Lewinsky; in August, under questioning from independent counsel Kenneth Starr before a federal grand jury, he testified that he engaged in an inappropriate relationship with Lewinsky.

Clinton was impeached on Dec. 19, 1998, on the grounds of perjury to a grand jury and obstruction of justice. A Senate trial against Clinton commenced on Jan. 7, 1999, and unfolded over four weeks, with Chief Justice William Rehnquist presiding.

More: https://abc13.com/politics/clinton-impeachment-looking-back-at-1998-hearings/5694474/

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Clinton’s trial started 3 weeks after the impeachment. McConnell needs to schedule trial 3 weeks after the impeachment with or without Pelosi sending the papers

http://www.orlytaitzesq.com/clintons-trial-started-3-weeks-after-the-impeachment-mcconnell-needs-to-schedule-trial-3-weeks-after-the-impeachment-with-or-without-pelosi-sending-the-papers/

The impeachment of Bill Clinton took place on December 19, 1998 and his trial in the senate started 3 weeks later, on January 9. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_of_Bill_Clinton

I believe that Mitch McConnell needs to announce that he will commence the impeachment trial 3weeks after the impeachment vote, which would be January 8.

I believe that the Democrats will be forced to submit the papers and present their case, otherwise, it will look like the impeachment was a joke, where Democrats impeached Trump, but are not willing to prosecute. It will make the whole argument that Trump is a danger to the national security, totally laughable. If he is a danger, why don’t you want to go to trial?

I believe that the nation and most importantly, non-partisan, independent voters are fed up with the impeachment!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Most people I know were sick of it before it was it.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley