Author Topic: Small Methane Leak in Ohio Turns Out to be Largest Gas Leak in the U.S.  (Read 967 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Strange Sounds 12/21/2019

A methane blowout in Ohio made little news in 2018…

But satellite images show it was a major global event.

Methane is sweeping from the ocean floor off Oregon’s coast at unprecedented rates. But the gas sometimes bursts without notice from the ground. According to a new published paper, a little-noticed 2018 methane leak at an Exxon Mobil site in Ohio was one of the worst in recent memory. It outpaced the methane emissions from the entire oil and gas industries of many countries.

Methane Explosion in Belmont County, Ohio

When the natural gas well in Belmont County, Ohio, blew in February, it was a significant local event, prompting the evacuation of about 100 residents within a 1-mile (1.6 kilometers) radius.

But it wasn’t clear how large the leak was until researchers in the new paper, studying data from a new European Space Agency (ESA) methane-monitoring satellite, spotted the plume.

The blown well was pumping 132 tons (120 metric tons) of methane into the atmosphere every hour, give or take 35 tons (32 metric tons).

More: https://strangesounds.org/2019/12/ohio-methane-gas-leak-largest-usa-video.html

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 02:27:43 pm by Elderberry »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Small Methane Leak in Ohio Turns Out to be Largest Gas Leak in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 07:04:43 pm »
This is mostly BS.  The well was under control after only 3 weeks.

It did produce at high rates but did not last long.

There are many far worse blowouts in the industry around the world.

I personally recall the Bellevue #1 in California which blew out under much more extreme conditions of pressure and depth and 100 mmcfpd rates that lasted a year.

And it seems the articles have some fraud on them as well (Google the term 'Ohio Gas Blowout') and all of them state the methane released from the well but ignore a very simple fact:

The methane was burning, so it was NOT released into the atmosphere.  Instead, it changed into CO2 and water vapor.

This is really all about a new tactic of the enviro wackos to condemn the hydrocarbon industry as evil.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 07:21:42 pm »
Satellite observations reveal extreme methane leakage from a natural gas well blowout

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/12/10/1908712116

Methane emissions due to accidents in the oil and natural gas sector are very challenging to monitor, and hence are seldom considered in emission inventories and reporting. One of the main reasons is the lack of measurements during such events. Here we report the detection of large methane emissions from a gas well blowout in Ohio during February to March 2018 in the total column methane measurements from the spaceborne Tropospheric Monitoring Instrument (TROPOMI). From these data, we derive a methane emission rate of 120 ± 32 metric tons per hour. This hourly emission rate is twice that of the widely reported Aliso Canyon event in California in 2015.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 09:46:32 pm »
Satellite observations reveal extreme methane leakage from a natural gas well blowout

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/12/10/1908712116
Could these guys possibly be the same scientists who declare humans are devastating the earth?

I need more information as it seems the article is extremely misleading on the magnitudes of venting and the hyperbole that it is one of the worst ever seen.

My years in the oilpatch say it is peanuts compared to a lot of vents.

My hunch is this is a new method of observations and someone is trying to legitimize it for their own purposes (read fame and funding).
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 05:06:15 am »
I'd bet those same sensors could be used to identify naturally occurring methane seeps as well. Any word on that?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 01:55:56 am »
It doesn't look like they can detect any underwater seeps.

https://watson.brown.edu/files/watson/imce/news/ResearchMatters/2019/Methane%20Report-6%20November%202019.pdf

Methane-measuring  instruments  on  the  best-available global  satellites  rely on light reflecting off earth’s surface. Observing and detecting methane over water is difficult since the ocean absorbs sunlight.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 06:45:25 am »
It doesn't look like they can detect any underwater seeps.

https://watson.brown.edu/files/watson/imce/news/ResearchMatters/2019/Methane%20Report-6%20November%202019.pdf
Water absorbs IR (looks black on IR satellite images), but most of the visible spectrum seems to reflect off the water just fine. So they must be using IR sensors to detect the gas. Methane seeps over land, too. But you have to look for it.

I checked out the paper, and it focuses on the oil and gas industry with the assumption that increased activity/production means increased methane emissions. It does, until the infrastructure for fas gathering catches up, Ironically, the great lag in capturing gas as opposed to flaring in North Dakota is on federal and Tribal Land, where extra permits and such are required in order to put in the gathering pipelines. The permitting process is a major delaying factor, and the percentage of gas flared from Federal and Tribal wells is one and a half times that of the rest of wells on private land. (30% vs 20%,  respectively) in a time when oil production continues to rise, passing 1.5 MMBOPD (Million barrels {each 'M' representing a multiplier of one thousand} of oil per day) last month. The gas gathering/processing infrastructure is chasing a still moving target.

Almost no mention of natural sources, so the focus is on oilfields and other energy sectors.

To do this, they used models. Hmmmm. I haven't had time to look those over, but will say the following:

Methane is valuable (it's what's commonly referred to as "Natural Gas", and marketable, so the less that drifts off in the wind, the more money is made.

It is, in oil production operations, a byproduct, worth far less than the oil it is dissolved in, but despite the expense involved in gathering that raw wellhead gas for processing, the interest is there to do so, and regulations are already in place in this state to ensure that is encouraged, royalties paid on flared gas after a time limit act as incentive to get that gas to market, rather than burn it and pay for it too.

Especially with pad wells (up to 10 wells on a single production location), the infrastructure demands have become even easier to meet with less far flung gathering systems, often arranged in lines, (look at well pad distribution in southern Mc Kenzie County, ND on google Earth, for instance) so the cost overall of capturing and transporting the wellhead gas (which contains methane) has come down, the infrastructure exists or is being built, not just in North Dakota, but elsewhere as well.
While different aspects of the energy sector are cited for relative methane production, there is no perspective in the article as to how that production relates to natural methane seepage (known to have been used as an exploration tool at one time for oil/gas resources at depth), nor Mehane production in everything from swamps to livestock, and certainly not that emitted by humans. (I can see where a vegan diet might cause an uptick in methane levels, at least locally). The myriad oil seeps evident in the Gulf of Mexico can't be evaluated because of the detection methods.

Pity. I had hoped to see how we stack up to all that Swamp.

My instinct is that it's a hit piece, for when the ecocommies get power again, to be thrown at the industry Obama couldn't shut down.

In the meantime, the issue of flaring gas has been faced and dealt with in local jurisdictions, I know North Dakota has some definite rules regarding this, designed to focus on maximizing the capture of a valuable resource (doubtless, so the State can tax it, but that is beside the point--it is being done).

So, why the hit, why now?

Hillary isn't going to be POTUS, and unless they Dems have some serious dirt on Pence, Nancy isn't either.
But in the effort to crash the economy and have another Depression (when Democrats ran things), part deux, the oil and Gas industry managed to grow, develop, flourish, and frankly, thwart the Communists goals to create complete economic chaos by being a shining beacon of capitalist activity that spun off benefits to seemingly unrelated industries far and wide and thoroughly resisted all the SJW memes and themes in a line of work where you are as good as you are, regardless of where you are from or how much suntan you have.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 11:52:39 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis