Author Topic: Forgotten Christmas specials  (Read 4077 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Forgotten Christmas specials
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2019, 09:37:07 pm »
I'm a big fan of the old western or comedy Christmas episodes. In particular Gunsmoke and The Rifleman. And Andy Griffith with the mean old man. Don't know if they still air.

There used to be a couple of movies that aired during Christmas that I remember when I was a kid and don't see any longer...Boys Town and All Mine To Give.
Not true Christmas stories...just heart tuggers about people doing the right or hard thing.
Gunsmoke and The Rifleman are both still in reruns.

I'm not sure if your cable provider has it, but one to check out is INSP (the Inspiration Network). It carries a lot of those old Westerns.
https://www.insp.com/insp-2019-christmas-guide/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline skeeter

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2019, 10:41:10 pm »
Doesn’t exactly fit the description of Christmas special but there was a movie I saw years ago which really broke me up, havent seen it since, called The Christmas Tree. I think William Holden starred.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2019, 10:49:39 pm »
Doesn’t exactly fit the description of Christmas special but there was a movie I saw years ago which really broke me up, havent seen it since, called The Christmas Tree. I think William Holden starred.

It was in 1969:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064037/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2019, 10:56:50 pm »
It was in 1969:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064037/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3

Ok it was a foreign movie, that explains it. It could be because I was 12, but i thought it was a real tearjerker.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2020, 12:22:31 am »
Bumping for the season.

The City that Forgot About Christmas

Year: 1974

The sequel to Christmas Is, it returns much of the star-studded cast, with a somewhat more heavy-handed plot: Benji and his dog Waldo encounter Matthew, a carpenter from a vague historic past who tries to proselytize a misanthropic town, and succeeds.

Status: Like Christmas Is, it remains in reruns on AMGTV. Also bootlegged to Youtube.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2020, 01:32:40 am »
Does Laurel and Hardy's March of the Wooden Soldiers count? If you can't deal with the singing interludes then just fast forward to the end for the battle with the Bogey Men.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2020, 01:47:42 am »
Did Hermy, the Dentist wannabe, come out of the closet, yet?

I laughed so hard, I did a "putt."    ***blushing*** 888oops888

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2020, 01:50:53 am »
Does Laurel and Hardy's March of the Wooden Soldiers count? If you can't deal with the singing interludes then just fast forward to the end for the battle with the Bogey Men.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Love it!   Shot with toilet paper?   :silly:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2020, 02:39:43 am »
A great choice!

March of the Wooden Soldiers (Babes in Toyland)

Year: 1934

Synopsis: Laurel and Hardy star in this movie, heavily inspired by Mother Goose nursery rhymes. They must save the Old Woman Who Lives in a Shoe from having her shoe repossessed by the Crooked Man, and rescue the old woman's daughter, Little Bo Peep, from the Crooked Man's clutches and schemes.

Status: A 1950 edit has largely been left into the public domain without much resistance from the copyright owners. Available just about anywhere.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2020, 03:40:57 am »
A great choice!

March of the Wooden Soldiers (Babes in Toyland)

Year: 1934

Synopsis: Laurel and Hardy star in this movie, heavily inspired by Mother Goose nursery rhymes. They must save the Old Woman Who Lives in a Shoe from having her shoe repossessed by the Crooked Man, and rescue the old woman's daughter, Little Bo Peep, from the Crooked Man's clutches and schemes.

Status: A 1950 edit has largely been left into the public domain without much resistance from the copyright owners. Available just about anywhere.
I'm not much on cartoons, though at least one thing my son got from us(not politics) is that he has collected all the old claymation and cartoon Christmas specials for his two daughters. I prefer old movies like the Lemon Drop Kid, Holliday Inn(OMG Blackface!!), White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, the original not the remakes and The Bishops Wife. I'm a heretic, I dislike It's a Wonderful Life. A special favorite is We're No Angels, the '55 Bogart film not the De Niro crap.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2020, 03:55:14 am »
I'm not much on cartoons, though at least one thing my son got from us(not politics) is that he has collected all the old claymation and cartoon Christmas specials for his two daughters. I prefer old movies like the Lemon Drop Kid, Holliday Inn(OMG Blackface!!), White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, the original not the remakes and The Bishops Wife. I'm a heretic, I dislike It's a Wonderful Life. A special favorite is We're No Angels, the '55 Bogart film not the De Niro crap.
I found It's a Wonderful Life to be kind of boring and drawn-out. I like the concept but I think Capra could have told that story in a lot shorter time than he did. It just could never hold my attention.

As far as the movies... I have a lot of fondness for the trashy ones. Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Santa Vs. Satan in Mexico City (OK, that's officially just "Santa Claus,") and so on.

You mention the ones like Holiday Inn and White Christmas... a lot of the stars of those movies ended up doing straight-up variety specials for years afterward, which I haven't even touched on!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 03:56:09 am by jmyrlefuller »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2021, 04:55:05 pm »
Bumping for seasonal cheer.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2021, 05:30:56 pm »
Bumping for seasonal cheer.

Merry Christmas and best of luck in all your endeavors, @jmyrlefuller!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2021, 05:38:11 pm »
Did Hermy, the Dentist wannabe, come out of the closet, yet?

I think he wound up marrying Pete Buttigieg.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2021, 06:15:22 pm »
I can tell you from experience that the song "I'm All Alone In the World" from Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol is not a good thing when you are a homesick freshman.
Countdown to Resignation

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2023, 01:15:19 am »
Seasonal bump.

Since I found a few more:

Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas

Synopsis: A late 1970s story about an impoverished hillbilly river otter family whose mother and son hock each other's most valuable possessions to enter a talent contest with a $50 prize: Emmet converts his mother's washtub into a washtub bass to form his jug band, while his mother hocks Emmet's tool kit for a dress.

(Spoiler: They both lose the contest but, when they begin working together, get hired as musicians at the local restaurant, allowing them all to leave their menial jobs behind.)

Status: I don't remember the last time this one was showed, or who even owns it (The Jim Henson Company that released it sold a lot of their assets to Disney a few years back but whether this was part of it isn't clear.) Bootlegged to Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZqYHS4uzWE
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 09:56:52 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2023, 01:20:04 am »
Man, I loved the Riverbottom Nightmare Band ... reminded me of Deep Purple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3cWWNXBHg
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 01:22:54 am by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2023, 01:26:15 am »
Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree

Synopsis: This 1995 special is another Jim Henson effort featuring Robert Downey Jr. at his personal, pre-Iron Man rock bottom as the titular wealthy philanthropist, Leslie Nielsen as his butler (who shows only some glimpses of his comic form) and Stockard Channing, looking a whole lot younger than 50, as a Swedish maid.

The basic plot, taken from a 1960s children's book, follows the titular tree as it is brought into Willowby's house, but is found to be too tall, so the top is cut off and given to the maid. The top is too tall for her room, so the cycle repeats as successively smaller portions of the tree get chopped off, with bears, owls, and finally a family of mice who had been trying to cut off the very top the whole time each getting their piece.

Status: I remember seeing this special exactly once. As with Emmet Otter, it's either in the Henson Studio name or Disney, though I'm inclined to assume the latter since Kermit the Frog serves as narrator. Bootlegged to Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gvT4x2IkDU

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2023, 02:04:57 am »
The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974)

The Year Without a Santa Claus is a 1974 stop motion animated Christmas television special produced by Rankin/Bass Productions. The story is based on Phyllis McGinley's 1956 book of the same name. It is narrated by Shirley Booth (her final acting credit before her retirement from acting) and starring the voices of Mickey Rooney, Dick Shawn, and George S. Irving. It was originally broadcast on December 10, 1974, on ABC.

Santa Claus wakes up with a cold sometime before Christmas. When his doctor sarcastically says that nobody believes in him anymore, Santa decides to forego his annual Christmas Eve run. Mrs. Claus enlists two elves, Jingle and Jangle, to find evidence to Christmas spirit in hopes of changing Santa's mind.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4cfza7

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online libertybele

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2023, 02:16:14 am »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2023, 02:19:46 am »
My favorite as a kid: Frosty the Snowman

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGDgjeQQNsw
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2023, 02:53:05 am »
Man, I loved the Riverbottom Nightmare Band ... reminded me of Deep Purple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3cWWNXBHg
Is it any wonder they won?  wink777

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2023, 03:42:58 am »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2023, 05:39:32 am »
Ziggy's Gift

Year: 1982

Synopsis: Directed by Richard Williams, this special is an adaptation of Tom Wilson's comic strip Ziggy. Ziggy (who does not speak; I always imagined him with a Sterling Holloway-type voice) takes a job as a Santa Claus only to find that he is surrounded by crooks. A soundtrack by Harry Nilsson adds a nice touch to this already touching animated feature.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I remember this gem... thank you @jmyrlefuller

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The YouTube link to Charlie Brown Christmas is down...

You can download/stream the MP4 free here .... In good quality too.

https://ia904606.us.archive.org/3/items/charlie-brown-thanksgiving-christmas/A%20Charlie%20Brown%20Christmas%201965.mp4

Little factoid: Linus drops his blanket during the "fear not" part of his speech...  just a sweet moment.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Frosty the Snowman is also down.... You can stream/download it here

https://ia803102.us.archive.org/25/items/rudolphtherednosedreindeer_201912/Frosty%20The%20Snowman.wmv
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 06:55:25 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2023, 01:42:22 pm »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus