Author Topic: Amazon’s new area of domination: its own package delivery  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Applewood

Amazon’s new area of domination: its own package delivery
« on: December 20, 2019, 12:44:01 pm »
Amazon’s new area of domination: its own package delivery

There’s a reason your Amazon deliveries are increasingly showing up in an Amazon-branded van: The company’s own delivery network is already monstrous, and growing fast.

The online retail giant announced on Thursday that its Amazon Logistics division was on track to deliver 3.5 billion packages globally in 2019 — which accounts for approximately half of all of its worldwide orders, according to a spokesperson. (For comparison, UPS, which was founded 112 years ago, delivered 5.2 billion packages and documents for all of its customers in 2018.)
…
The huge growth of this new business line highlights the rapid pace at which Amazon is maneuvering its way into new corners of its customers’ lives. It also gives some credence to worries from business leaders, politicians, and activists alike that there are few industries safe from Amazon’s ambition and reach.

More at:

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/12/19/21029932/amazon-logistics-delivery-network-fedex-ups-usps

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Amazon’s new area of domination: its own package delivery
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 12:53:33 pm »
It also gives some credence to worries from business leaders, politicians, and activists alike that there are few industries safe from Amazon’s ambition and reach.

Maybe those business leaders,politicians,and activists should just try harder to be competitive ?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 01:11:50 pm »
Maybe those business leaders,politicians,and activists should just try harder to be competitive ?

I could not agree more. I am no Amazon fan. I have no Alexa, don't pay for Prime, and generally avoid buying from the site in favor of Walmart or eBay.  I still find Amazon extremely useful for figuring out which brands are best based on customer feedback, and sometimes they do have the best deal.

I find Walmart.com to be very competitive with Amazon.  You can usually find the same goods cjeaper and you don't have to pay for Prime. Nonetheless, Amazon seems to be eating a lot of competitors' lunch in different industries. FedEx just missed its quarter and took a big hit, for example.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 03:13:09 pm »
I could not agree more. I am no Amazon fan. I have no Alexa, don't pay for Prime, and generally avoid buying from the site in favor of Walmart or eBay.

Walmart? WALMART?????

Why not just go ahead and send your money directly to the Clinton's,the Bush Crime Family,and the freaking Chinese,and be done with it?

I still find Amazon extremely useful for figuring out which brands are best based on customer feedback, and sometimes they do have the best deal.

I find Walmart.com to be very competitive with Amazon.  You can usually find the same goods cjeaper and you don't have to pay for Prime. Nonetheless, Amazon seems to be eating a lot of competitors' lunch in different industries. FedEx just missed its quarter and took a big hit, for example.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 03:30:25 pm »
Walmart? WALMART?????

Why not just go ahead and send your money directly to the Clinton's,the Bush Crime Family,and the freaking Chinese,and be done with it?

Good Grief, @sneakypete. If I shopped based on a company's political views or affiliations, I wouldn't be able to shop at all.  And don't forget -- Amazon is an "enemy of the state" or something just because Trump has a hard-on for Jeff Bezos.   So I guess I'm not allowed to shop with Amazon too?  Sigh!

And about Fed Ex, UPS and other major carriers -- they have all become too big for their britches.  I've posted before about my problem with Fed Ex -- how, after living at this address and receiving deliveries through Fed Ex for about 30 years, all of a sudden, Fed Ex couldn't find my house.  There have been other, sometimes worse nightmare stories lately  about Fed Ex and the other carriers too.  I read the other day that Amazon forbade its third-party sellers from using Fed Ex.  I suspect these carriers were giving Amazon fits and Amazon finally had enough.  So the company is prudent to move away from these carriers and have their own delivery operation.  I hope Walmart and other online retailers start finding or creating alternatives to these companies.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 03:44:38 pm »

Good Grief, @sneakypete. If I shopped based on a company's political views or affiliations, I wouldn't be able to shop at all.  And don't forget -- Amazon is an "enemy of the state" or something just because Trump has a hard-on for Jeff Bezos.   So I guess I'm not allowed to shop with Amazon too?  Sigh!

And about Fed Ex, UPS and other major carriers -- they have all become too big for their britches.  I've posted before about my problem with Fed Ex -- how, after living at this address and receiving deliveries through Fed Ex for about 30 years, all of a sudden, Fed Ex couldn't find my house.  There have been other, sometimes worse nightmare stories lately  about Fed Ex and the other carriers too.  I read the other day that Amazon forbade its third-party sellers from using Fed Ex.  I suspect these carriers were giving Amazon fits and Amazon finally had enough.  So the company is prudent to move away from these carriers and have their own delivery operation.  I hope Walmart and other online retailers start finding or creating alternatives to these companies.

@Applewood

You do what you want,but I decided a few years ago to draw a line in the sand,and that line says "Wal-Mart". No,I can't boycott them all,but I CAN boycott China's Outlet Mall.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 07:57:30 pm »
Quote from: Applewood link=topic=386345.msg2114493#msg2114493 .  I hope Walmart and other online retailers start finding or creating alternatives to these companies.
[/quote

If you live close to a Wal-Mart they will deliver to you using their own delivery vans. Or you can just go there and pick it up.  Wal-Mart has the most sophisticated distribution system in the world.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 08:10:49 pm »
@Applewood

You do what you want,but I decided a few years ago to draw a line in the sand,and that line says "Wal-Mart". No,I can't boycott them all,but I CAN boycott China's Outlet Mall.

What companies don't do business with China?

Offline berdie

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 09:18:35 pm »

I can't think of one.

And truthfully...I don't have a problem with Amazon starting their own delivery system. If I had that company that is what I would do.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 10:03:36 pm »
[quote author=Applewood link=topic=386345.msg2114493#msg2114493 .  I hope Walmart and other online retailers start finding or creating alternatives to these companies.

If you live close to a Wal-Mart they will deliver to you using their own delivery vans. Or you can just go there and pick it up.  Wal-Mart has the most sophisticated distribution system in the world.

@Applewood

The Chinese may be evil bastards that make junk using slave labor,but nobody said they weren't efficient when it came to shipping the junk out of China.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 10:13:31 pm »

@dfwgator

I dunno. I DO know one of the first was Wal-Mart,and they did that with the cooperation of the Chinese-American Chamber of Commerce (owned by the Bush Crime Family) and the Clinton Crime family,and they started doing it right at the time people were complaining about foreign imports were taking American jobs,and Wal-Mart got some special import  deals (Hillary Clinton was on the board) AND advertising "9X Percent of our products are American-Made!" They were making that claim because people were also complaining about how Wal-Mart stores were getting special tax breaks with local governments to build new Wal-Marts,and they were putting the the locally owned retail stores out of business.

And making the "So what?  Everybody else is doing it?" is akin to saying treason is ok because most of our politicians are doing it. Something is right or wrong on it's own merits regardless of what everyone else is doing.

Since this is so spread out now thanks to our treasonous political creatures it is impossible to boycott them all,I chose to focus on Wal-Mart,who were into slave labor and political corruption early.

The ONLY time I will buy something from Wal=Mart,or any OTHER company I know of that does deals with China is if I need it NOW,and have no other choice.

Yes,I AM pigheaded,and yes,I WILL pay more to buy products made in America. NOT doing so is nothing more than slow-motion political and financial suicide.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 11:47:21 pm »
I've seen a couple of Amazon vans and they're aren't cheap; they have a BMW emblem.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 12:08:30 am »

I believe in my area, some Walmarts have grocery delivery, but the one closest to me does not deliver to my neighborhood.  The items I have ordered online from Walmart -- mostly some clothes, and household items -- have come via Fed Ex.  At one time, Walmart shipped via DHL to my local post office and the post office delivered my packages.  That I didn't mind because I had a regular postal carrier who, unlike Fed Ex, could always find my house.  But the last few tines, my stuff came by Fed Ex (maybe), so I guess Walmart no longer uses the DHL/USPS method.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 12:35:18 am »
I've seen a couple of Amazon vans and they're aren't cheap; they have a BMW emblem.

I think you mean Mercedes.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-buys-mercedes-benz-vans-for-delivery-program-2018-9

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/mercedes-benz-sprinter-us-factory-and-amazon-fleet-deal/

Mercedes makes all types of commercial vehicles from vans to semi’s, even buses.  When I was in England in 2012, quite a number of the commercial trucks (sorry, I mean lorries) and delivery type vans I saw were Mercedes.

Mercedes also makes some impressive off road vehicles (if you’ve got about a half million to spend).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrUVMdkb4_k
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 12:44:48 am »
@Applewood

Sorry @sneakypete, but that's funny right there I don't care who you are! You won't shop at Walmart because it's China's outlet mall, but you you have no problem with Amazon? Have ever looked at where most of the merchandise sold on Amazon comes from? HELLLLLOOOOO!

I just don't have the funds to be overly discriminating in my shopping, I have to get the most value for the limited bucks I have and the loaf of bread I buy at Wally's is $2.50 and the same loaf at any of the name brand competitors is minimum $3.00 and the same kind of pricing differential holds for almost every name brand product.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2019, 12:51:09 am »
Sorry @sneakypete, but that's funny right there I don't care who you are! You won't shop at Walmart because it's China's outlet mall, but you you have no problem with Amazon? Have ever looked at where most of the merchandise sold on Amazon comes from? HELLLLLOOOOO!

I just don't have the funds to be overly discriminating in my shopping, I have to get the most value for the limited bucks I have and the loaf of bread I buy at Wally's is $2.50 and the same loaf at any of the name brand competitors is minimum $3.00 and the same kind of pricing differential holds for almost every name brand product.

@GtHawk

Yeah,what the hell. After all,America's motto is "Me,me,ME,DAMMIT!",right?

Soooo,according to you EVERYBODY in business is selling Chinese crap,so why not support them if you can save 50 cents,right?

And picking out just ONE to boycott is positively anti-Murkian,right?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 01:04:26 am »
I think you mean Mercedes.

Yes indeed.  Thank you.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2019, 01:58:19 am »
I don't buy a lot of stuff from amazon. Now and then, but not much.

I DO go to the local Walmart a lot -- at least 3 times a week. Mostly for milk (that doesn't come from China), Snyder's Pretzels (which probably don't come from China), soup (not sure where that comes from probably not from China), cat food (not sure where that comes from), a few other odds n ends. I've got no problems with Walmart at all.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2019, 05:05:38 am »
@GtHawk

Yeah,what the hell. After all,America's motto is "Me,me,ME,DAMMIT!",right?

Soooo,according to you EVERYBODY in business is selling Chinese crap,so why not support them if you can save 50 cents,right?

And picking out just ONE to boycott is positively anti-Murkian,right?
@sneakypete
Dude I really enjoy your posts but PLEASE, don't have a stroke! Why should I pick out just one to boycott, your choice of Wally's when damn near every retailer if not every retailer except for maybe o.1% sells the same damn products and labels except for Wally's own brand that Wally's does?

It's real easy to cry boycott if you have the money to buy anything, I personally along with quite a few I know don't because we live on a shoestring budget. So go ahead and be  as judgemental as you like, I buy where I have to and buy American as often as I can and that all you can realistically expect from people.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2019, 10:48:22 am »
@sneakypete
Dude I really enjoy your posts but PLEASE, don't have a stroke! Why should I pick out just one to boycott, your choice of Wally's when damn near every retailer if not every retailer except for maybe o.1% sells the same damn products and labels except for Wally's own brand that Wally's does?

It's real easy to cry boycott if you have the money to buy anything, I personally along with quite a few I know don't because we live on a shoestring budget. So go ahead and be  as judgemental as you like, I buy where I have to and buy American as often as I can and that all you can realistically expect from people.

@GtHawk

WHY does everyone seem to think it's reasonable to criticize ME for boycotting Wal-Mart,and then criticize ME for being  unreasonable for boycotting that ONE company because they were one of the first to sell out America,and to destroy American jobs and companies,and suggesting others join me? After all,as some of you have pointed out,there is no shortage of companies selling cheap Chinese crap and putting Americans out of work? It's not like any of you are going to run out of places to buy cheap Chinese crap,and make the Clintons and Bushes even richer from their treason.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2019, 11:29:04 am »
@GtHawk

WHY does everyone seem to think it's reasonable to criticize ME for boycotting Wal-Mart,and then criticize ME for being  unreasonable for boycotting that ONE company because they were one of the first to sell out America,and to destroy American jobs and companies,and suggesting others join me? After all,as some of you have pointed out,there is no shortage of companies selling cheap Chinese crap and putting Americans out of work? It's not like any of you are going to run out of places to buy cheap Chinese crap,and make the Clintons and Bushes even richer from their treason.
Because it's pointless to target a single company that does the same exact thing as countless other companies, but leave those other companies completely blameless, because of your conspiratorial fever dreams.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline AL

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2019, 11:52:12 am »
For my family, Amazon Prime saves us money that would be spent on gas to go shopping.  Fast, easy, convenient.  Love to see food delivery in my area.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2019, 11:53:29 am »
Because it's pointless to target a single company that does the same exact thing as countless other companies, but leave those other companies completely blameless, because of your conspiratorial fever dreams.

@jmyrlefuller

WHO says I am leaving them blameless? If it were within my power,I would put every one of those bastards out of business. I can't do that,so I focus on the one most guilty.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 12:23:08 pm »
For my family, Amazon Prime saves us money that would be spent on gas to go shopping.  Fast, easy, convenient.  Love to see food delivery in my area.

I'm doing more and more Amazon and other online shopping mainly because it's more economical and practical for me.  I don't drive and the cardiologist said, don't go out when it's too cold, so schlepping out  to a store just isn't always feasible.  The only problem I see with all this online shopping is that I'm helping to drive physical stores out of business and putting people out of work.  Really don't like to see stores close because there are some things I'd rather see in person before I buy -- major appliances, for example.  But there is a lot to be said about sitting in my jammies with a hot cup of tea and my laptop and letting my fingers do the walking (so to speak) instead of getting dressed and trying to get to a store.

By the way, welcome to The Briefing Room.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2019, 02:11:02 am »
@GtHawk

@sneakypete

https://qz.com/1654798/these-are-the-products-the-us-is-most-reliant-on-china-for/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/01/11/reminder-most-what-you-pay-made-china-product-goes-us-workers-businesses/

About 56 percent of what you pay for something “made in China” goes to U.S. workers and companies, on average, according to a new analysis released by the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco. The rules are complicated, but “made in China” roughly indicates a good was assembled in a Chinese factory.Jan 11, 2019

Yeah, China sucks, yeah I would love to be able to buy American all the time but unions and democrats worked together to make it so unprofitable to produce products that it drove manufacturers to China. I afraid that even if  production is driven out of China it will never come back to America, it will go to Vietnam, Malaysia, India and the like were wages are a fraction of those in America.................and if they go to those countries I wouldn't be on damn bit surprised to find that China either owns the companies or a major stake in them.