Author Topic: Battery dangers got little attention from Coast Guard despite red flags before Conception fire  (Read 730 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by Richard Winton, Leila Miller and Mark Puente 12/19/2019

Battery dangers got little attention from Coast Guard despite red flags before Conception fire

Nearly a year before 34 people were killed in a fire aboard the dive boat Conception, a second vessel owned by the same charter company began a three-day voyage around the Channel Islands.

Divers on the Vision charged numerous lithium-ion batteries installed in cameras, phones, computers and even underwater scooters with an array of power outlets in the salon area. At some point, one of those batteries began to smolder as it was charging. An alarmed crew member quickly tossed it into the water, preventing the fire from spreading, a witness and several sources told the Los Angeles Times.

The fire underscored the potential dangers of such batteries, which have been banned from cargo areas of commercial planes and become the subject of tighter regulations by the U.S. Navy.

But the U.S. Coast Guard didn’t sound major alarms about the fire risk of the batteries until after the Labor Day fire aboard the Conception, the worst maritime disaster in modern California history.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/12/battery-dangers-got-little-attention-from-coast-guard-despite-red-flags-before-conception-fire/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

34 people killed by a single battery?

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The single battery was on the Vision, not the Conception, and was thrown overboard, causing no deaths.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The single battery was on the Vision, not the Conception, and was thrown overboard, causing no deaths.
Thx.  I read it wrong.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I think the takeaway is to not leave charging LI-Ion batteries unattended, just in case.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis