Author Topic: The Climate Agenda Off the Rails: Sarah Myhre at the American Geophysical Union  (Read 1137 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Master Resource By Robert Bradley Jr. -- December 18, 2019

The lecture reprinted below, “Mediocre Careerism, Respectability Politics, and Bad Behavior by Senior Scientists Erode Global Climate Leadership,” was given last week at the Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union. Sarah Myhre‘s session title was titled “Is environmental science serving or failing society?” Her remarks follow without comment.

“… effective action on climate change has been impeded for 30 years because of the political assassination and anti-democratic campaigns (a form of extortion, lies, intimidation, bribery, and toadery) waged by ExxonMobil, Shell, British Petroleum and other fossil fuel companies…. Their transactions of power are so damaging and genocidal….”

“Here we find the genocidal systems of white supremacy, fascism, nationalism, colonialism, neoliberalism, and capitalism. Here we find the billionaires, the oligarchs, the war mongers, the predators, the enablers. The veins and axes of power that maintain white patriarchy are the same axes of power that fossil fuel companies operate from.”

“… progress at any cost is what we must fight for. In this frame, racist, misogynist, colonialist behavior are just unfortunate externalities of having to move fast and break things.”

My name is Dr. Sarah Myhre. I am speaking here today in my capacity as the founder and Executive Director of Rowan Institute, which is a think tank and nonprofit organization for leadership in a hot and dangerous world. We uphold feminist, anti-racist, anti-colonial norms and practices, to train scientists, students, and STEM practitioners in public scholarship and climate leadership….

My talk today is entitled “Mediocre careerism, respectability politics, and bad behavior by senior scientists erode global climate leadership.”

Wow! What a fun title, right? Just another confrontational step down the path of indicting allies in public, you might think. Why such a negative frame when what we really need right now is brave and hopeful leadership, you might think. Why can’t you focus on something more positive, some climate solutions, you might think. Such a nasty woman, you might think.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves here!

As we all know, in the cannons [sic. Presumably she meant canons–but who can be sure?] of science communication norms, to properly communicate, we must start by being personable and then follow with telling a story. So, because motherhood is a highly-valued social and moral good within the patriarchy, I will tell you (in a very relatable and warm way) that today I am here with my 6-year-old son. We have had a really great time seeing old friends, exploring the exhibition floor, and spending time at the NASA booth. What an absolute joy. We are both learning so much today.

More: https://www.masterresource.org/climate-exaggeration/climate-feminism-agenda/

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
Time for me to write to the Rowan Institute.

I invite all reasonable people to do likewise:

https://www.rowaninstitute.org/contact
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:34:57 am by DeerSlayer »
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Did they name one after Martin, too?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

MOre seriously frim the link to her comments:
We must dethrone scientific leadership as the ultimate arbitrator of authority and instead act in solidarity and alignment with justice, civil, and labor leaders who have the embodied knowledge of movement and coalition building. We must organize and act in solidarity with the leadership of the civil rights and labor rights movements, at the individual, institutional, and national level. We must not excuse ourselves, our peers, our institutions from transacting in, or looking away from, systemic harm in all forms.

Well, lady, that last line could come back to bite you. Because systemic harm is exactly what I see in all these "green" proposals. What I don't see is scientific fact, unadulterated data sets, and open examination of all the alleged methods and findings which are waved about to claim that "fossil" fuels are doing harm, especially in countries like the US, where there are stringent emissions standards.
The thin thread by which civilization hangs is a mere beam of light, on dangerous streets at night, in the IR spectrum emanating from the security cameras, or mounted on a weapon, regardless of which, it is that which keeps all those 'downtrodden' types from burning and looting that civilization you hold so dear.

Where would New York be when the lights go out?

In the dark...ages.

Not much mention of Climate Science, but a burdensome mantle of SJW stuff...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Time for me to write to the Rowan Institute.

I invite all reasonable people to do likewise:

https://www.rowaninstitute.org/contact
It won't matter.  Myhre is the founder of the institute.

BTW, google Myhre and one gets back the Myhre syndrome, a genetic disorder of the body.

This girl has a disorder on her brain.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
Oh ye of little faith.  She is also on the faculty of University of Washington, http://uw.edu

There you can find other Climate  Change radicals and write to them, including the text of her insane rant.  Here is the list of just the few of them I wrote to:

uwpcc@uw.edu,
beckya@atmos.uw.edu,
akaf@uw.edu,
karmour@atmos.uw.edu,
david@atmos.uw.edu,
bitz@uw.edu,
ed@atmos.uw.edu,
breth@atmos.uw.edu,
shuyic@uw.edu,
drdee@uw.edu,
dargan@atmos.uw.edu,
djaffe@uw.edu,
daehyun@atmos.uw.edu,
robwood@atmos.uw.edu,
thornton@atmos.uw.edu,
mcmurdie@atmos.uw.edu,
cmass@uw.edu

with a copy to semyhre@uw.edu

Stand up and be counted, don't just whine to your cohorts here on the GOP BR.  Share an expanded mailing list with the rest of them.  You learn how to do it better every time.

The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Oh ye of little faith.  She is also on the faculty of University of Washington, http://uw.edu

There you can find other Climate  Change radicals and write to them, including the text of her insane rant.  Here is the list of just the few of them I wrote to:

uwpcc@uw.edu,
beckya@atmos.uw.edu,
akaf@uw.edu,
karmour@atmos.uw.edu,
david@atmos.uw.edu,
bitz@uw.edu,
ed@atmos.uw.edu,
breth@atmos.uw.edu,
shuyic@uw.edu,
drdee@uw.edu,
dargan@atmos.uw.edu,
djaffe@uw.edu,
daehyun@atmos.uw.edu,
robwood@atmos.uw.edu,
thornton@atmos.uw.edu,
mcmurdie@atmos.uw.edu,
cmass@uw.edu

with a copy to semyhre@uw.edu

Stand up and be counted, don't just whine to your cohorts here on the GOP BR.  Share an expanded mailing list with the rest of them.  You learn how to do it better every time.
You set a good example for the rest of us, @DeerSlayer
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The problem with the climate kool-aid kids is that they end game is always massive population reductions.

The response to which is always 'we got all the guns'.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

The problem with the climate kool-aid kids is that they end game is always massive population reductions.

The response to which is always 'we got all the guns'.
They're working on that, too...or their fellow travelers are.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
They're working on that, too...or their fellow travelers are.

Seemingly blind to a cute little buzzword they like to use - tipping point.

From what I can see from Twitter to Virginia, alot of Americans are pretty much there and throwing their feces back at them.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

Seemingly blind to a cute little buzzword they like to use - tipping point.

From what I can see from Twitter to Virginia, alot of Americans are pretty much there and throwing their feces back at them.
Hopefully, they relent and it can stop with feces.

C S Lewis

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
You set a good example for the rest of us, @DeerSlayer

Bless you, my Friend.  Now please this:

http://TheEducationFraud.wordpress.com

I shall send you more by PM.

Offline Joe Wooten

MOre seriously frim the link to her comments:
Well, lady, that last line could come back to bite you. Because systemic harm is exactly what I see in all these "green" proposals. What I don't see is scientific fact, unadulterated data sets, and open examination of all the alleged methods and findings which are waved about to claim that "fossil" fuels are doing harm, especially in countries like the US, where there are stringent emissions standards.
The thin thread by which civilization hangs is a mere beam of light, on dangerous streets at night, in the IR spectrum emanating from the security cameras, or mounted on a weapon, regardless of which, it is that which keeps all those 'downtrodden' types from burning and looting that civilization you hold so dear.

Where would New York be when the lights go out?

In the dark...ages.

Not much mention of Climate Science, but a burdensome mantle of SJW stuff...

My final answer to all of them is "YOU FIRST!! Set an example for the rest of us. Sell your car(s), quit flying, disconnect from the grid, quit wearing, eating or drinking anything even remotely processed by fossil fuels or uses plastic, and disconnect from the telecommunications network."

Offline Smokin Joe

My final answer to all of them is "YOU FIRST!! Set an example for the rest of us. Sell your car(s), quit flying, disconnect from the grid, quit wearing, eating or drinking anything even remotely processed by fossil fuels or uses plastic, and disconnect from the telecommunications network."
:yowsa: Then send us all a letter on homemade paper or birch bark, whatever, written in charcoal, or scratched in, and tell us how that's working out. 

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

The Joker and Gladiator star Joaquin Phoenix flew to a Washington, DC, in his quest to fight climate change on Friday. Speaking to environmentalists , telling that a protest, he admitted he couldn’t avoid flying to attend the gathering.
"I struggle so much with what I can do [to combat climate change] at times. There are things that I can't avoid -- I flew a plane out here today, or last night rather. But one thing that I can do is change my eating habits.

“But something that isn’t often talked about in the environmental movement or in the conversation about climate change, is that the meat and dairy industry is the third leading cause of climate change,” said Phoenix in his speech.
From the Post Millennial

Climate change skeptic Steve Milloy commented on the NY Times' tweet, "Reducing your meat and dairy intake can help mitigate climate change. ...":
Steve Milloy   @JunkScience

Total BS.
Livestock emit methane.
Methane's warming potential is blocked out by CO2 and water vapor. The physics is simple.
Reducing meat/dairy intake only reduces the quality of your diet -- it does nothing to the climate.
4:08 PM · Jan 12, 2020·
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
How is it that Leftists call others "deniers" for rejecting the lies, fearmongering, and exaggerations of *global warming* (sic), when in fact atheists have been "deniers" for centuries longer?