Author Topic: Man charged after mercury spill in west Houston sparks massive response  (Read 651 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Jay R. Jordan Dec. 16, 2019

Federal authorities have taken a man into custody as they investigate if a west Houston mercury spill was intentional, the FBI announced early Monday morning.

Christopher Lee Melder, 19, is being charged with burglary and unlawful disposal of hazardous material, according to the FBI. Officials at the agency tweeted that Melder was being questioned in Sunday’s mercury spill, which centered around the intersection of Westview Drive and the West Sam Houston Parkway. Up to 60 people were decontaminated after possible exposure to the mercury, which can be dangerous when ingested or inhaled.

However, officials with the Houston Health Department said that the mercury found Sunday posed an “extremely low” risk to the public, because trace amounts were found on the ground outside. A pregnant woman was the only person hospitalized during the cleanup, according to Houston Fire Chief Sam Peña. He added there was no risk to anyone outside the contaminated area.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Man-in-custody-after-mercury-spill-in-west-14909354.php

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Man charged after mercury spill in west Houston sparks massive response
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 12:37:46 am »
Houston Chronicle by  Jay R. Jordan Dec. 16, 2019

Federal authorities have taken a man into custody as they investigate if a west Houston mercury spill was intentional, the FBI announced early Monday morning.

Christopher Lee Melder, 19, is being charged with burglary and unlawful disposal of hazardous material, according to the FBI. Officials at the agency tweeted that Melder was being questioned in Sunday’s mercury spill, which centered around the intersection of Westview Drive and the West Sam Houston Parkway. Up to 60 people were decontaminated after possible exposure to the mercury, which can be dangerous when ingested or inhaled.

However, officials with the Houston Health Department said that the mercury found Sunday posed an “extremely low” risk to the public, because trace amounts were found on the ground outside. A pregnant woman was the only person hospitalized during the cleanup, according to Houston Fire Chief Sam Peña. He added there was no risk to anyone outside the contaminated area.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Man-in-custody-after-mercury-spill-in-west-14909354.php

Probably wasn't smart at the time, but how many guys my age and older played with a bottle of quicksilver back in the '60's or earlier? 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 08:24:35 am »
Probably wasn't smart at the time, but how many guys my age and older played with a bottle of quicksilver back in the '60's or earlier?
There were those who broke thermometers in Chem lab to get the mercury, and still others who would rush to acquire it when someone accidentally broke one...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 09:20:08 am »

I still have a bottle of it from an old chemistry set. Dang stuff is heavy...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 12:41:53 pm »

Not a bottle of the stuff, but getting the mercury back into a barometer in junior high (in the early '70's) was a hoot.

Actually metallic mercury itself isn't all that toxic unless there are conditions that will cause it to react with something.  Organo-metallic compounds involving mercury, on the other hand, are all hideously toxic.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 01:15:18 pm »
Not a bottle of the stuff, but getting the mercury back into a barometer in junior high (in the early '70's) was a hoot.

Actually metallic mercury itself isn't all that toxic unless there are conditions that will cause it to react with something.  Organo-metallic compounds involving mercury, on the other hand, are all hideously toxic.

I remember the stuff in small bottles, and heavy at that.    You are right that Mercury isn't that toxic, unless reacted.  But remember most hands/fingers are going to have salts or other substances too. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 02:43:27 pm »
I still have a bottle of it from an old chemistry set. Dang stuff is heavy...
Did your set come with bottles of HNO3 and ethanol too? Don't mix 'em with that mercury.