Author Topic: The river patrol boat was the backbone of the Brown Water Navy  (Read 366 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The river patrol boat was the backbone of the Brown Water Navy
« on: December 16, 2019, 02:51:40 am »
Navy Times By: Joe Follansbee, Vietnam Magazine  12/15/2019

The guerrilla nature of warfare in Vietnam required the U.S. Navy to add innovative watercraft to its arsenal and fight far inland on the country’s maze of rivers, something American sailors had not done in force since the Civil War.

Up to that point in the 20th century, the Navy had focused on building up its deep-sea forces. But submarines and aircraft carriers were of little use against irregular units relying on sampans and junks to ferry supplies and fighting men on the country’s river highways.

On March 21, 1966, just six months after the U.S. Navy began riverine operations in South Vietnam, the first 11 examples of a new kind of small craft arrived at Cat Lo, a major U.S. naval combat and logistics base on the northern shore of Cape Vung Tau.

The craft was designated “patrol boat, river,” or PBR, a high-speed, shallow-draft, diesel-powered freshwater patrol craft with a fiberglass hull and water jet propulsion. The PBR was the first jet-propelled watercraft used in combat, and it became an integral element of the “Brown Water Navy.”

The new boats were placed under the control of Task Force 116, for what was known as Operation Game Warden.

Game Warden forces were charged with disrupting Viet Cong infiltration and resupply operations, destroying VC insurgents in their areas of operation and enforcing South Vietnamese government curfews.

Game Warden units performed harassment and interdiction operations, river patrols and minesweeping operations, especially along the main Saigon shipping channels. They were authorized to board and search all river craft—except foreign-flagged steel-hull merchant ships, warships and military, police or customs craft, unless specifically authorized by the task force commander.

More: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/12/15/arsenal-the-river-patrol-boat-was-the-backbone-of-the-brown-water-navy/

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: The river patrol boat was the backbone of the Brown Water Navy
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 03:04:18 am »
Wow, I always thought they were the backbone of the Kerry Purple Heart machine.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 07:18:48 am »
Wow, I always thought they were the backbone of the Kerry Purple Heart machine.
Nah, those were the Swift Boats. About the time Kerry signed up, those were patrolling offshore in the blue water, if just barely, checking cargoes. By the time he was in command, they were going upriver, where the going was rougher, and contact far more likely.

You know what he was after: Three hearts and out. Lots of guys earned far more than that and stayed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 12:31:08 am »
Nah, those were the Swift Boats. About the time Kerry signed up, those were patrolling offshore in the blue water, if just barely, checking cargoes. By the time he was in command, they were going upriver, where the going was rougher, and contact far more likely.

You know what he was after: Three hearts and out. Lots of guys earned far more than that and stayed.
I remember something my brother once said, he was in the Navy during Kerry's heart rending tour and I mean that with all the animosity he deserves for making a mockery of those who actually earned (poor wording) their Purple Hearts. My brother said that Kerry asked for Swift Boat detail because he was bored on ship and as you say the Swift Boats were out in safe waters but all that changed to his dismay. True? I don't know, maybe just put out there by people that wished they could frag him.