Author Topic: Is fragile masculinity the biggest obstacle to climate action?  (Read 248 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Is fragile masculinity the biggest obstacle to climate action?
« on: December 15, 2019, 02:35:26 pm »
ABC.net.au  By Megan MacKenzie 12/14/2019

For all you city-slickers, truck nuts (or truck nutz, depending on your preferred provider) are crafted testicles designed to hang from the back of your truck. You're welcome.

What's the link between Australia's politicians, truck nuts and big bush fires?

The answer to this question might be the key to overcoming the global climate crisis, so buckle up.

Trucks and fast cars have long been understood as symbols of wealth and masculinity. Truck nuts just added a ball-shaped exclamation point to this statement.

But driving a big truck has been used to convey more than manhood.

There's a history of people coal rollin' or retro-fitting trucks so they burn more diesel and produce heavy plumes of black smoke.

Consuming fuel and producing smoke are a way to both signal hyper-masculinity and an open distain for environmental concerns. A smoky middle finger to environmentalists, if you will. ----

---We know that more research won't convince some politicians of the need to make big changes when it comes to the climate. So, let's hit these guys where it hurts, in the metaphoric truck nuts.

We need to disentangle the way that environmental degradation has been associated with masculinity and call out world leaders who are not addressing the climate crisis for what they are: pathetic, weak, and afraid.

More: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-15/is-fragile-masculinity-the-biggest-obstacle-to-climate-action/11797210

Offline skeeter

Re: Is fragile masculinity the biggest obstacle to climate action?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 02:42:27 pm »
Some guys drive big truck so they can haul stuff.

Why is it we white guys are constantly told we cannot participate in discussions about womens' issues or minority issues but some dingaling named Megan can feel at ease psychoanalyzing an entire gender to which she does not belong?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 02:44:49 pm by skeeter »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 04:22:26 pm »
She's a visitor to Vegemite valley, and I bet she is dryer than a nuns nasty.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 04:32:24 pm »
Some guys drive big truck so they can haul stuff.

Why is it we white guys are constantly told we cannot participate in discussions about womens' issues or minority issues but some dingaling named Megan can feel at ease psychoanalyzing an entire gender to which she does not belong?

I drive a V8 Truck gas guzzler, eat steaks/ beef 3-4 times a week, hunt, never voted for a democrat, trash climate change enviro-whackos at every opportunity, church goer, oil company retiree.......

I am literally the poster boy for liberal hate
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 04:55:56 pm »
What a dingbat.

By far, all around rural America, men drive pickups because they work with em. How the hell do you think hay and feed get to the farm, and then out to the critters? How do you think boards get to jobsites? How do you think firewood comes out of the woods? My truck(s) has been loaded most days of my life.

And yeah more power, more work. My truck will kick the crap out of anything stock because it HAS TO.

SO WHAT a little rollin coal? It doesn't do that ALL the TIME. Only when it's working hard (because it has to), or when you flip the switch to blow a Volt or a smart-car full... Just the thought makes me happy.

What a dumbass. And Lord knows she knows a guy with a pickup or a van that she can talk into hauling her sh*t for her when it's needed. Every gal does, and especially the ones that drive them stupid little golf carts, because she literally cain't do for herself.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 04:57:28 pm »
I drive a V8 Truck gas guzzler, eat steaks/ beef 3-4 times a week, hunt, never voted for a democrat, trash climate change enviro-whackos at every opportunity, church goer, oil company retiree.......

:yowsa: 888high58888

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 05:14:25 pm »

@catfish1957
Knew I liked you.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Online roamer_1

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 05:51:04 pm »
Can I get the pie I like delivered by an 8 gallons-to-the-mile truck-nutzed coal-blower?

When Libs or Progs profess to understand those they hate, something stupid, silly, or hilarious is almost sure to follow.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 11:55:09 pm »
From the article:
"There's a history of people coal rollin' or retro-fitting trucks so they burn more diesel and produce heavy plumes of black smoke.
Consuming fuel and producing smoke are a way to both signal hyper-masculinity and an open distain for environmental concerns. A smoky middle finger to environmentalists, if you will. ----"

If you're gonna roll the coal, do it in a Peterbilt:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 01:57:44 am »

Sounds familiar.... :beer:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 01:59:30 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis