Author Topic: Why Are Fry’s Store Shelves Empty Two Weeks Before Christmas?  (Read 942 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CBS Sacramento 12/9/2019

The parking lot was nearly empty, a sign on the door said “now hiring full-time merchandisers” and inside the store the shelves were largely bare.

On a Saturday afternoon just over two weeks before Christmas, the Toy Land at Fry’s Electronics in Roseville was deserted. There were no customers, there were no toys. One of the few salespeople on the floor said the Fry’s store in Natomas looked the same. He said staff had been told the company was “restructuring.”

Online reports show the same thing is happening at other Fry’s stores around the country and suggest the company is switching to a consignment business model, where shelves are stocked with products that Fry’s doesn’t have to pay for until they are sold.

A Fry’s spokesman told the Dallas Morning News the company is not liquidating or planning to close any stores. Spokesman Manuel Valerio told the Dallas newspaper the company’s 34 stores in nine states will have product again “over the next several weeks,” but that report was published Nov. 15.

More: https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019/12/09/why-are-frys-store-shelves-empty-two-weeks-before-christmas/

I went to the Fry's in Webster TX  a few days ago and many of the shelves are mostly empty.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Why Are Fry’s Store Shelves Empty Two Weeks Before Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 12:39:11 am »
A Fry’s spokesman told the Dallas Morning News the company is not liquidating or planning to close any stores.

So long Fry's.  It was nice to know you.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 01:48:34 am »
According to my buddy who used to check there regularly for deals on computer parts, they have been slowly going out of business for months. Basically selling off existing inventory and not adding new inventory.
Let it burn.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 02:17:16 am »
According to my buddy who used to check there regularly for deals on computer parts, they have been slowly going out of business for months. Basically selling off existing inventory and not adding new inventory.

They are going the way of Circuit City.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 03:40:35 am »
I was at a SoCal Frys store during the last year, and I was shocked  by the failure appearance.

Empty parking lot, few shoppers, much reduced stock on shelves.

Ironically Frys helped to drive Circuit City out of business.

In my area Best Buy is surviving so far. And we have a MicroCenter.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 04:55:49 am »
Don't have a Fry's anywhere near me, but from the description of its stores, it sounds like a local Kmart before it and the others closed. 

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 05:08:10 am »
Don't have a Fry's anywhere near me, but from the description of its stores, it sounds like a local Kmart before it and the others closed.

I always noticed that one of the big volume item for Frys was peripheral supplies, much more htan their Circuit City and Best Buy competitors.  I always saw them as blend of Best Buy and Radio Shack.    I think the growth of Amazon has put a damper in that profitabilty of their business model.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 11:12:13 pm »
Ghost sighed:
"They are going the way of Circuit City"

Brought to my mind CompUSA before they went under.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 02:55:01 am »
I was at a SoCal Frys store during the last year, and I was shocked  by the failure appearance.

Empty parking lot, few shoppers, much reduced stock on shelves.

Ironically Frys helped to drive Circuit City out of business.

In my area Best Buy is surviving so far. And we have a MicroCenter.
I can't speak for anywhere else but the Frys that are located in Anaheim and Fountain Valley are always pretty busy, especially on the weekend, also their shelves in some departments have been sparsely stocked for years, nothing new there.

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 03:14:43 am »
Ghost sighed:
"They are going the way of Circuit City"

Brought to my mind CompUSA before they went under.

@Fishrrman I was a Manager in the Tech Dept of Computer City in San Antonio when we got bought out by CompUSA and Slim (mechico), he promptly liquidated/bankrupted the whole thing, never looked at Retail again. 
   Started my own computer company, retired 3 years ago, happy.

Back on topic, I'll miss Fry's.  They were the go to place for me in Houston (I45N store) to build a system on the fly if the need arises.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.