Author Topic: New Kentucky governor to sign order restoring voting rights to 100K felons  (Read 855 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
New Kentucky governor to sign order restoring voting rights to 100K felons
By Rachel Frazin - 12/10/19 04:16 PM EST

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear (D) pledged to soon restore voting rights to over 100,000 people with felony convictions in his Tuesday inaugural speech.

“My faith teaches me to treat others with dignity and respect,” Beshear said outside the state Capitol, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader. “My faith also teaches forgiveness.”

“That’s why on Thursday I will sign an executive order restoring voting rights to over a hundred thousand men and women who have done wrong in the past but are doing right now. They deserve to participate in our great democracy,” he added.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/473954-new-kentucky-governor-to-sign-order-restoring-voting-rights-to-100k
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: New Kentucky governor to sign order restoring voting rights to 100K felons
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 09:42:48 pm »
Under KY law, can that be done by an EO? If the disenfranchisement of felons is mandated by statute then an EO cannot effect such a change.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 11:08:42 pm »
Funny how it's OK for a democrrat to follow their faith in how they govern but not Conservative Christians.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 11:12:16 pm »
Democrats are for allowing felons to vote.

Democrats are for allowing illegal aliens to vote.

Democrats are against proof of identification to vote.

Yet somehow the Democrats think the President is a criminal for enforcing the laws passed by congress.
 9999hair out0000
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 01:00:00 am »
They just registered 100k rat voters in KY.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 01:34:30 am »
New Kentucky governor to sign order restoring voting rights to 100K felons
By Rachel Frazin - 12/10/19 04:16 PM EST

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear (D) pledged to soon restore voting rights to over 100,000 people with felony convictions in his Tuesday inaugural speech.

“My faith teaches me to treat others with dignity and respect,” Beshear said outside the state Capitol, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader. “My faith also teaches forgiveness.”

“That’s why on Thursday I will sign an executive order restoring voting rights to over a hundred thousand men and women who have done wrong in the past but are doing right now. They deserve to participate in our great democracy,” he added.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/473954-new-kentucky-governor-to-sign-order-restoring-voting-rights-to-100k
Wow, what type of dignity and respect does this give for the rest of Kentucky's voters, to allow criminals equal rights to law-abiding citizens?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 01:38:14 am »
Hey, Kentuckians...

Ya get what ya voted for.
And ye'r gettin' it good and hard ...!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 10:21:13 pm »

Andy is just following in his corrupt daddy's footsteps.  Trying to make sure a Republican never gets electing to the Governorship ever again.

Hopefully the newly elected Republican AG will put a stop to this.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 10:23:36 pm »
Wow, what type of dignity and respect does this give for the rest of Kentucky's voters, to allow criminals equal rights to law-abiding citizens?

It gives myself and the rest of the voters in the Commonwealth zilch.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 02:27:21 am »
This action is obviously a lighting rod for dissension with all of us, I was thinking, is there any felony conviction that we would consider making a persons voting rights whole after they have served their sentence?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 02:42:47 am »
This action is obviously a lighting rod for dissension with all of us, I was thinking, is there any felony conviction that we would consider making a persons voting rights whole after they have served their sentence?

How about; You're at the rifle range shooting your AR-15. It starts doubling. You get arrested and convicted for possession of an unlicensed machine gun.

Just the first that comes to mind.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 02:52:53 am »
How about; You're at the rifle range shooting your AR-15. It starts doubling. You get arrested and convicted for possession of an unlicensed machine gun.

See that's the thing, not all felonies are in the same class. I'm kind of torn,  there's this really old phrase 'paid their debt to society'. Now I agree that there are certain crimes that if person has been tried, convicted and served their sentence, I don't believe they should ever qualify to have their rights restored. Now to throw in something semi off topic, what about Second Amendment rights?

Online GtHawk

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 03:05:35 am »

As to your example, about thirty  years ago I was at a Sheriffs range and was firing my FIL's semi customized Ruger Mark1, into the third magazine it shot off three rounds on one trigger pull, thinking okay that's weird, I reloaded and tried again.....same thing, apparently someone had filed down the sear for a light trigger pull and it wore to a catastrophic failure. Now the Range Master is giving me the fish eye, so I broke down the pistol and walked into his booth and explained what I believed happened and assured him the gun was going straight to a smith. Fortunately people were a whole lot more relaxed back then so he just smiled and told me that was a good idea and don't fire it again until it's checked out. Afterwards I was thinking that it could have been fun, not safe but fun.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 03:06:58 am »
If you are talking 2nd Amendment, start with pushing to rescind the NFA of 1934 and the GCA of 1968 for a start.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 04:06:37 am »
@mystery-ak
@Once-Ler

The law in Texas is this:
When an election is held, people in jail who have not been convicted may vote an absentee ballot.  If convicted of a crime and put in prison, the prisoner may not vote.  Once out of prison, the person may register to vote.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 06:01:39 am »
@mystery-ak
@Once-Ler

The law in Texas is this:
When an election is held, people in jail who have not been convicted may vote an absentee ballot.  If convicted of a crime and put in prison, the prisoner may not vote.  Once out of prison, the person may register to vote.

This is the slippery slope that was warned about when they gave non-land-owning white men the vote.  Now we have minorities, women, felons, and even teenagers voting.  Where will it end? /sarc

TX is like WI.  In fact 2/3rds of the 50 states restore voting rights after completion of sentence.  Kentucky doesn't.

I bet a lot of those prisoners will vote for the guy who gave them back the right.  Bevin could have done it.  Maybe he would have, if he had won re-election.  Elections have consequences.  If President Trump can't protect an incompetent Governor like Bevin with a rally then the GOP is in trouble, because they seem to be shedding the competent party members weekly if not daily from the House, and Trump Administration.

Thanx for your response @Victoria33

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2019, 11:22:47 am »
Gee,I wonder why he would be doing something like that at this time?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 11:39:30 am »

@GtHawk

If not,there should be.

Until recent decades,it was common in this country for prisoners to serve their entire sentences before being released from prison,and when they were released,their guns were handed back to them,along with their rights to vote.

Of course,back then nobody got a 50 year sentence for bankrobbing. You got maybe 10 years and served your entire 10 years before being released. If you murdered somebody during the robbery,you didn't have to worry about a long jail sentence because they would just hang you and be done with it.

Somehow we developed the insane system used today,where people are given insane sentences to serve,with the judge,jury,and everybody else in the country know they will only serve a fraction of that time before being released on parole.

And of course,you will never live long enough to be released from parole,and while on parole it is damn near impossible to find a decent job because you are required to tell your employer you are on parole. Which means most people won't even hire you. Which,in turn means that you are going to go back to crime to earn money,which means you will be back in prison for a new conviction before your probation ever runs out

Which means,no matter how determined you are to change your life once you are released,you have no chance at all of living a normal life unless you have family that will hire you. Most criminals don't have this,so most criminals are arrested and put into prison again.

In other words,it has evolved into being a situation where the only people that "win" in the criminal justice system these days are the lawyers,the judges,the friends of the politicians that own today's prisons,the prison guards,and the politicians. They benefit because they have created a "perpetual motion criminal machine" that guarantees they will never be out of work.

Hell,criminals are an ASSET in their eyes.

Meanwhile,crime continues to soar,and so do the retirement programs for everyone involved in the criminal justice machine.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 11:42:36 am by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2019, 11:45:20 am »
[size=14pt

Now I agree that there are certain crimes that if person has been tried, convicted and served their sentence, I don't believe they should ever qualify to have their rights restored.

@GtHawk

That is un-American. Once you have served your time,you are supposed to have the same rights as every other American citizen.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2019, 11:46:31 am »
If you are talking 2nd Amendment, start with pushing to rescind the NFA of 1934 and the GCA of 1968 for a start.

@Elderberry

That's got MY vote!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2019, 02:28:55 pm »
It gives myself and the rest of the voters in the Commonwealth zilch.
It gives you equal say in how the State is governed with sex offenders and mother rapers and father stabbers...

Kinda makes a guy feel special, doesn't it?  9999hair out0000

Tar.
Feathers.
Fence rails....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 03:14:02 pm »
It gives you equal say in how the State is governed with sex offenders and mother rapers and father stabbers...

@Smokin Joe

You mean "father rapers and mother stabbers",didn't you?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2019, 03:29:55 pm »
Hey, Kentuckians...

Ya get what ya voted for.
And ye'r gettin' it good and hard ...!

@Fishrrman "we"...the majority of us didn't vote for this crap.  Beshear squeaked by thanks to the deep blue cities of Louisville...Lexington and Frankfort.

If you notice...he has no Dem help in any other state level positions save for Lt. Gov.  It's a Republican House and Senate...Republican Secretary of State and a Republican Attorney General.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2019, 03:31:30 pm »

Kinda makes a guy feel special, doesn't it?  9999hair out0000

Tar.
Feathers.
Fence rails....

Thank goodness Kentucky is a 2A friendly state.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2019, 09:15:41 pm »
Related:

Pardon for killer by former Kentucky Gov. Bevin sparks calls for investigation

FRANKFORT, Ky. — Outrage over a spree of pardons by former Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin spread to the state capitol Friday as two lawmakers asked the incoming attorney general to investigate the orders, including one for a convicted killer whose family contributed to the governor.

The two lawmakers said special attention should be given to the pardon issued to Patrick Brian Baker, who was convicted of reckless homicide and other crimes in a fatal 2014 home break-in in Knox County. Prosecutors say Baker and another man posed as police to gain entry to Donald Mills' home and Mills was shot in front of his wife. She tried to drive him to the hospital but he died on arrival.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/pardon-for-killer-by-former-kentucky-gov-bevin-sparks-calls-for-investigation/ar-AAK6DEd