Author Topic: Political *Environmental* Pretentiousness  (Read 550 times)

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
Political *Environmental* Pretentiousness
« on: December 09, 2019, 02:54:03 pm »
So many issues are of a scientific and political nature that moderators can argue that you posted them in the wrong Thread wherever you put them.  So this is here.  So there.

My city's largest land owner and developer publishes a newspaper that announced our trees benefit our fair city to the tune of $10,750,000 per year. 

Show me the figures please, I requested.

After much research, ending in the US Forest Service and a college in New York, I found a scholarly paper announcing that the cleanup of trees lies not in their production of oxygen. No.  They remove NO2 and particulate matter from our air.  How much?  Less than 1%

How deadly are these contaminants?  Far less toxic than vitamin D or caffeine.
The paper further announces that the majority of contaminants removed are in rural areas, but the greatest benefits accrue to urban areas.  Go figure.

The equivalent is for you to pretend that drinking one less cup of coffee per month, or drinking one less soda per month will benefit your health.  Yeah, right.  Drink one less glass of milk, containing that deadly vitamin D.  Then put a dollar figure on your health benefit from drinking one less glass of milk per month.

This has been a *science* notification exposing your local Environmental Wacko who turns positively giddy when you tell them something they want desperately to believe, but haven't a clue as to its validity.
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "Wow, beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Political *Environmental* Pretentiousness
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 11:03:04 pm »
Only 1% of the extremely low concentrations of NO2 and particulate matter are "cleaned" from the air by trees.
The majority of this 1% is cleaned from rural areas, but urban residents reap most of the benefits.
Are you getting this?  Can you put a dollar amount on reducing NO2 concentrations from a few parts per billion to 1% lower, when there is no discernable difference between the concentrations?  "Scientists" put a value of $10,750,000 on trees in one city.

The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "Wow, beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist