Author Topic: People 'unaccounted for' after volcano erupts in New Zealand  (Read 1716 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: People 'unaccounted for' after volcano erupts in New Zealand
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2019, 01:56:50 am »
All volcanoes are not alike, although any can cause harm and some should be more avoided for sure than others.

The composite variety tend to explode violently and emit pyroclastic flows of hot ash.

A shield volcano like Kilauea tend to do just flow lava and less likely to explode.

All volcanoes emit gas which can be deadly.

Remember that when visiting Yellowstone's geysers and mudholes.  These are produced by the same mechanism that produces a volcano.

My brother living in Australia unfortunately knew one survivor who happened to be in this New Zealand eruption.

She was lifted out and is in a coma.  When she wakes, she will learn her husband and daughter are both dead from the blast.

Note to self: Since you live within a stone's throw of Yellowstone, if the Macs are running away from there, try to outrun the pack. Use 4 wheel drive. They are.

@roamer_1  @Smokin Joe
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2019, 03:07:32 am »
Note to self: Since you live within a stone's throw of Yellowstone, if the Macs are running away from there, try to outrun the pack. Use 4 wheel drive. They are.

@roamer_1  @Smokin Joe
Depends on where you are. I'm a few mountain ranges and a bunch of shortgrass prairie away, and just might survive if I can get out from under the ash fall in time, Too close, and the shock wave might be the end of you, no pyroclastics involved. Depending on what;s between you and it, you might as well just kick back and enjoy the view--while you last.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2019, 03:14:50 am »
Depends on where you are. I'm a few mountain ranges and a bunch of shortgrass prairie away, and just might survive if I can get out from under the ash fall in time, Too close, and the shock wave might be the end of you, no pyroclastics involved. Depending on what;s between you and it, you might as well just kick back and enjoy the view--while you last.

Yeah... I ain't worried too much either... Most of it is going east of me (if it goes), and I am unaware of any prior Yellowstone eruption throwing anything all the way up here... So after the earthquake...  :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2019, 03:53:48 am »
Yeah... I ain't worried too much either... Most of it is going east of me (if it goes), and I am unaware of any prior Yellowstone eruption throwing anything all the way up here... So after the earthquake...  :shrug:
I figure this far east, we'll get ash. The trick might be to go north into Canada and then East to escape the plume. However, the eruption would really disturb the air masses up there, and possibly suck polar air south, and hard. Which means temperatures could go to -60 pretty fast. I always pack winter gear in the vehicles anyway...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2019, 04:08:27 am »
@Smokin Joe @roamer_1  @IsailedawayfromFR

My notes to self are both allegorical and rhetorical.

Anyone downrange of Yellowstone, at least to @Smokin Joe,  are toast.

That "nuclear" winter will force @roamer_1  to shave. Because since he will be living with @IsailedawayfromFR  the only way to stop the debate is to not pick hairs.

Geologically speaking, the Craters of the Moon, are more of a concern than Yellowstone.

In more recent terms I would would put the fault on Cascadia.

Yeah. Ya''ll remember my major in college was hard rock mining. But then three things happened. The enviros killed the industry. I went out and saw the world. And decided digging a hole to hide in wouldn't save me.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2019, 04:15:42 am »
@Smokin Joe @roamer_1  @IsailedawayfromFR

My notes to self are both allegorical and rhetorical.

Anyone downrange of Yellowstone, at least to @Smokin Joe,  are toast.

That "nuclear" winter will force @roamer_1  to shave. Because since he will be living with @IsailedawayfromFR  the only way to stop the debate is to not pick hairs.

Geologically speaking, the Craters of the Moon, are more of a concern than Yellowstone.

In more recent terms I would would put the fault on Cascadia.

Yeah. Ya''ll remember my major in college was hard rock mining. But then three things happened. The enviros killed the industry. I went out and saw the world. And decided digging a hole to hide in wouldn't save me.
While it helps to be on the upper plate when subduction is happening oceanward of you, it can sure get interesting there.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Offline DB

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2019, 06:09:50 pm »

It is claimed that there are rocks in California that came from Yellowstone the last time it went off. That's pretty major...

Here's some ash information from previous eruptions: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/yellowstone/yellowstone_sub_page_91.html

Online roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2019, 06:19:37 pm »
It is claimed that there are rocks in California that came from Yellowstone the last time it went off. That's pretty major...

Here's some ash information from previous eruptions: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/yellowstone/yellowstone_sub_page_91.html

@DB
Right - though you will note the PacNW has never (or seldom) been impacted, as the historical fallout maps show.

Not that it matters much... If I am right, I am right, and if I am wrong I am wrong.  What is it going to change?  :shrug:

It ain't like I can pick up and run off somewhere else that is safe. In fact, there is no safe, and as safety goes, these Rockies are generally safer than anywhere else I can think of.