Author Topic: Scottish Farmer Discovers 5,000-Year-Old Lost City  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Scottish Farmer Discovers 5,000-Year-Old Lost City
« on: December 08, 2019, 11:26:23 pm »

One day, a farmer on the island of Orkney in Scotland found a large stone that didn’t look like it belonged in its environment. When the farmer flipped over the stone, he got the surprise of a lifetime. Underneath the stone was Skara Brae, which is a hidden and lost city that existed as much as 5,000 years ago. The farmer thought it was a house at first because it looked rather small to be a city. But after showing people what he had found, the farmer soon realized that it was the lost city after all.

https://themindcircle.com/hidden-city-skara-brae-scotland/?fbclid=IwAR0HNZIWXNeikm8_P7fdIcQwt1cpHOk29OYKURSl5Hb6BrDLyut0iF4JhqY

The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Scottish Farmer Discovers 5,000-Year-Old Lost City
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 11:48:40 pm »
Here's the image that won't post "directly" above:

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 08:00:14 pm »
@Free Vulcan

Very interesting,thanks!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 08:10:38 pm »
@Free Vulcan

Very interesting,thanks!

For those of us with Scottish ancestry.  5000 years = apprx. 150 generations.  2 to the 150th power = one hell of an astromonical number.
I'd venture for many of us, our ancestors roamed those halls of that burrowed abode.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 08:41:25 pm »

I'd venture for many of us, our ancestors roamed those halls of that burrowed abode.

@catfish1957

That was actually pretty smart because once you get a couple of feet underground,it is VERY easy to heat a room. You are out of the wind and out of the weather. Beats the HELL out of a hut. Especially on a cliff facing the ocean in a northerly climate.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 09:12:32 pm »
@catfish1957

That was actually pretty smart because once you get a couple of feet underground,it is VERY easy to heat a room. You are out of the wind and out of the weather. Beats the HELL out of a hut. Especially on a cliff facing the ocean in a northerly climate.

But it was not originally built and lived in "underground" - "Skara Brae got covered with sand dunes over the years",
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 10:48:44 pm »
But it was not originally built and lived in "underground" - "Skara Brae got covered with sand dunes over the years",

@Neverdul

The way *I* read it is that over the years the rooms filled with sand and were covered as sand dunes formed from blowing sand."

I grew up on the ocean front in a remote area,and I remember seeing a couple of abandoned houses filled and covered by dunes in my time. One still had an original "ice box" in it for storing food,and I still wish I had rescued that before the house was completely filled. Yeah,it is all still there,but you would get arrested these days if you tried to dig in that area.

Funny true story. A retired banker bought all that acreage in the early 70's,and started selling lots. A hundred years ago the sand dunes had been covered with trees,but the salt air and blowing sand eventually killed them,leaving "stump holes" You could be walking along a dune and have your leg fall into the hole. That wasn't the funny part,though. Back in the late 1800's there used to be a big graveyard there. The graves just disappeared as sand moved in because most of the tombstones were made from wood. I do remember one that was dated in the 1600's,though. It disappeared around 1970.

Soooo,the banker sold lots,and the people who bought the lots had houses built. The first winter storm came along and left a LOT of them pissed. The grading done to level the dunes and to put in driveways,etc,etc,etc left the covering thinner,and that first big storm had people walking out of their houses the next day to find human skulls and other bones in their yards. Let's just say they weren't very happy about it.

I haven't been back there in decades,but I am guessing that all the dunes have now disappeared under grass and Miracle Grow.