Author Topic: Here are the Senate Republicans who could vote to convict Trump  (Read 1133 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Here are the Senate Republicans who could vote to convict Trump
« on: December 07, 2019, 02:23:29 pm »
Here are the Senate Republicans who could vote to convict Trump
By Alexander Bolton - 12/07/19 06:00 AM EST

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) caused a stir Friday when he said a “handful” of Senate Republican colleagues have privately told him they would consider voting to remove President Trump from office.

Murphy conceded “it’s a small list, on one hand,” but Democrats would consider it a major victory if they could tout a bipartisan vote in the Senate to remove Trump from office in an election year.

His remarks created buzz since no congressional Republicans have publicly said they would even consider taking such a step, and not one House GOP lawmaker voted for the resolution establishing the rules for the impeachment inquiry. But Rep. Justin Amash (Mich.), an independent who left the Republican Party in July, said Friday he would vote for articles of impeachment.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/473478-here-are-the-senate-republicans-who-could-vote-to-convict-trump
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Here are the Senate Republicans who could vote to convict Trump
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 02:25:01 pm »
Their political careers would be over and they should be shunned by fellow Senators.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 12:27:17 am »
Their political careers would be over and they should be shunned by fellow Senators.
Agreed at least 3 of them need to go.  Send a message GOP. /sarc

Mark Sheilds made an interesting point last week on the PBS news hour.  He said some rat candidate, Elissa Slotkin from Mich I think, in 2018 told Pelosi she couldn't win if she promised to vote for Pelosi as Speaker.  Pelosi said "Don't worry about that, just make sure you win."  Would President Trump put the GOP before his ego?  I doubt it.

https://ballotpedia.org/List_of_U.S._Congress_incumbents_who_are_not_running_for_re-election_in_2020
9 Democratic members and 22 Republican members of the U.S. House and not running for re-election
I think some of those Republicans have gotten tired of defending President Trump and they're opting out. 
People like Rep Will Hurd saw how mild opposition to President Trump, like Mia Love, gets treated by the Party and they decide to shut up and get out of the GOP.

Perhaps President Trump will succeed in purging any anti-Trump sentiment out of the GOP eventually, but I believe the GOP will have to become a minority party to achieve it.

I'm pretty certain there are Republican Senators in moderate states who think they can't win if they vote for or against impeachment.

It will be interesting to find out who.

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 12:45:14 am »
Well, I'll state my hunch again...Trump is not by any means safe in the Senate.  Too many RINO's and Roberts will be leading the pack.

It sure would seem that he is due some justice here, but there is too much corruption and too many people want to take him down.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online corbe

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 03:08:54 am »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 03:53:35 am »
If the McConnell were to enter a motion to dismiss, they would have to be on record early on.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 03:59:45 am »
The numbers should not be there to remove.
How many Senate votes are necessary to remove an impeached President?

A simple majority of the House of Representatives (at least 218 votes) is required to impeach a U.S. President followed by a two-thirds majority vote in the Senate (at least 67 votes). Impeachment Process.

https://www.reference.com/government-politics/many-votes-impeach-president-668fabbe9a3b6c64.

I can not see 17 Republicans voting for removal. Anything is possible but I think that outlook is extremely weak.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 05:27:28 am »
If that many Republicans are willing to cross to remove him, we are all screwed anyway.
The Republic is lost.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 06:14:27 pm »
If that many Republicans are willing to cross to remove him, we are all screwed anyway.
If that many Republicans cross the line, they can give up hopes of ever reelected.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 06:22:57 pm »

She smells like a moth's balls?  Ewwwwwww
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 12:32:59 am »
The numbers should not be there to remove.
I can not see 17 Republicans voting for removal. Anything is possible but I think that outlook is extremely weak.

I can't see it either but a majority of Senators voting for impeachment sends a message too.  Can you see as few as 3 GOP defections?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 12:46:56 am »
I can't see it either but a majority of Senators voting for impeachment sends a message too.  Can you see as few as 3 GOP defections?

Okay, 3 defections you said so there would be at least a majority,

I can see defections but not enough, Collins, Murkowski. It's all speculation, one would have to look at Mitt as a possible.  So, that is 3.

And that's assuming all Democrats would vote one way, there might be one or two who might not.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 12:55:16 am by TomSea »

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 01:42:07 am »
If that many Republicans cross the line, they can give up hopes of ever reelected.

Do you really think they care?

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 01:45:16 am »
Okay, 3 defections you said so there would be at least a majority,

I can see defections but not enough, Collins, Murkowski. It's all speculation, one would have to look at Mitt as a possible.  So, that is 3.

And that's assuming all Democrats would vote one way, there might be one or two who might not.

Collins, Murkowski, and possibly Lee, Mittens and Rubio.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 02:06:24 am »
Collins, Murkowski, and possibly Lee, Mittens and Rubio.

Rubio, possibly but... there have already been pundits' lists on possible GOP defectors, maybe that was even posted in this forum, of ten possible GOP Senators who might vote for impeachment and Rubio was not on it. He's a bit temperamental, he has his morals too, so, he has said he has an open mind.

If he truly "runs" the foreign policy in Latin America for the administration as has been said, I'd say he would vote against impeachment and removal.

As usual, you disparage Rubio, as usual, nothing is done on the border.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 02:12:11 am by TomSea »

Online libertybele

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 02:25:56 am »
Rubio, possibly but... there have already been pundits' lists on possible GOP defectors, maybe that was even posted in this forum, of ten possible GOP Senators who might vote for impeachment and Rubio was not on it. He's a bit temperamental, he has his morals too, so, he has said he has an open mind.

If he truly "runs" the foreign policy in Latin America for the administration as has been said, I'd say he would vote against impeachment and removal.

As usual, you disparage Rubio, as usual, nothing is done on the border.

Rubio is a rat period and it will all depend on what kind of 'deal' he can make.

Online corbe

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 02:53:08 am »
   It's gotta get through Fairy Lindsey's Senate Judiciary Committee first and with Blackburn, Grassley, Cruz, Lee, Kennedy and Sasse it could be another coup d'état in the making.   :shrug:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 03:20:15 am »
Rubio is a rat period and it will all depend on what kind of 'deal' he can make.

Then Cruz is a rat too, Rubio doesn't have to run his campaign cheating in every state there is like your boy, give money donations back to white supremacist groups. You are just divisive on this.  Cruz and Rubio have shown themselves to be allies,  you just have to post this every time. You don't like him. So?  He's been a good Senator. And your border still hasn't had anything done.  Hasn't had much of anything done, maybe a little.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 03:24:10 am by TomSea »

Online libertybele

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 03:21:50 am »
   It's gotta get through Fairy Lindsey's Senate Judiciary Committee first and with Blackburn, Grassley, Cruz, Lee, Kennedy and Sasse it could be another coup d'état in the making.   :shrug:

Well, that certainly is a possibility.  I'm not sure what to think anymore.

Prayers up for this country.  :0001:  :patriot:

Online libertybele

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 03:26:37 am »
Then Cruz is a rat too, Rubio doesn't have to run his campaign cheating in every state there is like your boy. You are just divisive on this.  Cruz and Rubio have shown themselves to be allies,  you just have to post this every time. You don't like him. So?  He's been a good Senator. And your border still hasn't had anything done.

??? Whoa!  You're entitled to your opinion, but I live in FL and he's been a disappointing Senator.  I have reason not to like him.

And your border still hasn't had anything done??  Sorry, not making any sense @TomSea

Offline TomSea

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 03:45:23 am »
Rubio has done a lot, he's done for legislation against China, their snooping, concerning Venezuela,

Voters didn't send their representatives to Washington DC to Impeach! Hello? This just shows that one isn't even informed on the issues

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Defends American Nationalism

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Marco Rubio explains why America needs a wall

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

He's more than soundbytes. I'll defend him when one is being needlessly divisive. He makes mistakes, that's better to me than being all talk with little to show for it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 03:48:07 am by TomSea »

Online corbe

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 03:47:49 am »
   Sen. Rubio, Tea Party darling, backstabbed Conservatives early with his Gang of 8 affiliation, like Lindsey, also a member w/McCain, he can't be trusted, at all.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2019, 03:50:51 am »
   Sen. Rubio, Tea Party darling, backstabbed Conservatives early with his Gang of 8 affiliation, like Lindsey, also a member w/McCain, he can't be trusted, at all.
So, tell me, what border legislation Ted Cruz or Donald Trump have pushed through?  Why should they be trusted then?

We aren't going to get any better than Gang of 8 and Trump offered the Gang of 8 bill to the Democrats and they wouldn't take it.

We have cut down on illegals coming in. Trump has done that, Mexico has done that.

Gang of 8 attack is just all you have and in the meantime, that's six years ago, no legislation has gotten through, NONE. It's the President making deals with Mexico.

At least, Rubio acted, maybe he erred, Gang of 8 won't look so bad if the Democrats ever get full control of the 3 branches,  we'll wish for that.

Democrats will let everyone in and they've made that clear.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 03:57:55 am by TomSea »

Online libertybele

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2019, 03:58:15 am »
@TomSea you can post all kinds of Rubio videos all day long which has no impact on my opinion. He lied to his constituents period and that is why he couldn't carry his home state.  You like him.  I don't. 

This isn't a Rubio thread.  Back on topic.  Next.

Online corbe

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2019, 04:01:18 am »
   As I've said all along @TomSea screw the walls and all this political theatre (red meat)  REMOVE THE INCENTIVES and they will stop coming.  They aren't stupid people (as a whole).
   Cruz or Rubio, for that matter, do not have the authority to do that, it's up to Trump, Barr, McConnell and pelousi and in 3 years some would say the problem has only been exacerbated and there all pointing their fingers at each other.