Author Topic: House Ethics Committee informs Duncan Hunter he can no longer vote after guilty plea  (Read 555 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House Ethics Committee informs Duncan Hunter he can no longer vote after guilty plea
By Tal Axelrod - 12/05/19 06:32 PM EST

The House Ethics Committee Thursday informed Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) that he can no longer vote in the House of Representatives after pleading guilty to misusing campaign funds.

The ethics panel sent Hunter a letter telling him that his guilty plea triggered a House rule saying that any member convicted of a crime that could receive a prison sentence of two or more years “should refrain from voting on any question at a meeting of the House…unless or until judicial or executive proceedings result in reinstatement of the presumption of innocence…or until the Member is reelected to the House after the date of such conviction.”

Hunter, who changed his plea in federal court in San Diego Tuesday, faces up to five years in prison and is scheduled to be sentenced on March 17. He was present for votes on Wednesday but did not vote on Thursday.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/473304-house-ethics-committee-informs-duncan-hunter-he-can-no-longer-vote-after
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

How can Alcee Hastings vote then??

He was convicted and removed from office of a federal judge.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
How can Alcee Hastings vote then??

He was convicted and removed from office of a federal judge.

I found this looking for an answer to the question you asked about a senate retrial on impeachment.

Officer

/snip

The Presidential Succession Act of 1947 sets the order of succession. If the currently serving US President is convicted by the Senate, he or she is immediately removed from office. There is an established order of presidential succession, beginning with the Vice President of the United States. In fact, the US has a “deep bench” of potential successors; the order of succession is set to accommodate the potential inability of several people to serve, or for several offices to be vacant at the time a new president is needed. After the vice president, the Speaker of the House and the President Pro Tempore of the Senate are next in line for the presidency. Following the candidates from the Senate and House, the order of succession proceeds through the Cabinet department secretaries, in order of the establishment of their Cabinet departments. State, Treasury, Defense, and the Attorney General are the first four of the 17 Cabinet secretaries, in this order. The Secretaries of Education, Veterans Affairs, and Homeland Security are at the bottom of the succession list.

There are serious concerns about the constitutionality of the 1947 statute, particularly over the Constitution’s use of the term “officer” when discussing succession and whether the term applies to members of Congress. There are those who argue that “officer” restricts members of Congress from participating in presidential succession. This narrow definition of the word “officer” has been used to validate the service of Alcee Hastings as a US Representative from Florida from 1993-2013 after his having been impeached and convicted in 1989 while serving as a federal judge. If members of Congress are “officers” under Constitutional definition, as the Presidential Succession Act assumes, then Hastings would have been ineligible to serve since being a House member would then fall under the “any Office of honor, Trust or Profit” prohibition in Article 1, Section 3.

@Hoodat  Thought you might find thisinteresting.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:39:57 am by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Hunter, who changed his plea in federal court in San Diego Tuesday, faces up to five years in prison and is scheduled to be sentenced on March 17

Hunter was the second ever Congressman to endorse Trump for President in 2016.  The first Congressman to endorse Trump for President was former Congressman Chris Collins who will be sentence Jan 7th for his crimes.  Clearly there was something both these crooks saw in Donald Trump that they fell in love with.  Both will tell you they are great Conservatives and great Christians just like President Trump. 

I hope prison works out well for them.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Hunter was the second ever Congressman to endorse Trump for President in 2016.  The first Congressman to endorse Trump for President was former Congressman Chris Collins who will be sentence Jan 7th for his crimes.  Clearly there was something both these crooks saw in Donald Trump that they fell in love with.  Both will tell you they are great Conservatives and great Christians just like President Trump. 

I hope prison works out well for them.
Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, you'll hurt yourself.