Author Topic: FEMA gives Brazoria County $8.9 million to elevate homes  (Read 505 times)

Offline thackney

FEMA gives Brazoria County $8.9 million to elevate homes
« on: December 05, 2019, 10:07:10 pm »
FEMA gives Brazoria County $8.9 million to elevate homes
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/FEMA-gives-Brazoria-County-8-9-million-to-14884759.php
Dec. 5, 2019

Brazoria County received more than $8.9 million from the federal government to elevate 70 flood-prone homes, part of a commitment to make local communities more resilient in the wake of Hurricane Harvey.

These homes will be elevated to at least 2 feet above the base flood elevation, which is the depth of the water during a 1-percent-chance flood. The county will work with each homeowner to select a qualified, experienced contractor who will complete the work in compliance with local codes, standards and National Flood Insurance Program requirements.

For a community to participate in the NFIP, it must adopt the program’s minimum standards into its building codes. Brazoria County adopted elevation standards higher than the base flood elevation to provide additional protection to the community. The elevation is also expected to result in lower insurance premiums for owners...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: FEMA gives Brazoria County $8.9 million to elevate homes
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 10:08:12 pm »
I am in Brazoria County.  I will be searching about this information.  Please post links in this thread to any other sources of information.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 10:29:09 pm »
I am located  near sea level, but various flood control channels protect us.

Two subdivisionswere built much later, and elevated.

Maybe FEMA will elevate my home, after is floods.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 10:38:41 pm »
I am in Brazoria County.  I will be searching about this information.  Please post links in this thread to any other sources of information.

What is the average home price in Pearland?  The average improvement cost for 70 homes is around $125k per house.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-