Author Topic: The Mets, under new ownership?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The Mets, under new ownership?
« on: December 05, 2019, 07:19:01 pm »
Hedge-fund giant Steve Cohen---a lifelong Mets fan---may buy 80 percent of the beleaguered team.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/12/05/the-mets-under-new-ownership/

The Mets may soon be owned by a man who paid
more for one sculpture than they’re paying Jacob
deGrom for the next five years.

Lose a pitcher, gain an owner? As it looked as though the Phillies would sign Zack Wheeler for five years and $118 million, less than he was offered by the White Sox, his now-former Mets looked as though they were about to sell an 80 percent stake in the team to a Long Island boy who, like me, has been a Met fan since the day they were born.

Steve Cohen has in common with me having seen our first Mets games courtesy of the original troupe who played in the ancient Polo Grounds while awaiting Shea Stadium’s completion. That’s almost the full extent of our common ground. For openers, at present he owns a four percent stake in the team, while I own nothing of the team but an alternate game hat and several books.

Cohen played baseball as a boy until a shoulder injury put paid, apparently, to any thoughts he had of growing up to pitch professionally, presumably in a Met uniform. His career ended with slightly more honour than mine did: I discovered 1) I couldn’t hit a fair ball unless the foul lines were moved to a single line crossing the rear point of home plate; and, 2) I couldn’t throw a strike unless the strike zone sat on the batter’s derriere.

So each of us ended our baseball careers and settled for pursuits less likely to provide even that one in a billion shot at immortality.

Mine was becoming an Air Force intelligence analyst and, following, a professional journalist at the regional level with a career described as fitful at best. Cohen’s was going to Wall Street and building a fortune that would, if he intends to buy that 80 percent stake in the Mets, make him baseball’s wealthiest owner almost overnight.

I say “almost” because the reporting holds that the incumbent Wilpons will stay in command for five more years. But the transition of power could happen sooner, as often it does. “According to my sources, Cohen, who is currently a minority owner of the Mets, would immediately own at least a tad over 50% should the deal be approved,” writes Mike Ozanian in Forbes. “Why would anybody buying a majority stake in a dysfunctional business allow the folks who ran it dysfunctionally for years keep running it? Time is of the essence.”

To see the reaction of Met fans who’ve despaired over what The Athletic calls the Wilpons’ “tight fisted and ham handed stewardship of the Mets” is to think the Messiah has come at long enough last. Met fans salivate over the prospect of the tight fists turning into open hands.

Cohen is known for a previous bid to buy the Dodgers (he lost out) and as an art lover and collector who once paid for one sculpture (Pointing Man, by Alberto Giocametti) $3.8 million more than the Mets agreed to pay their back-to-back Cy Young Award-winning pitcher Jacob deGrom for five years beginning in 2020.

The Wilpons’ fists tightened when they turned up among the wounded (victims and partial culprits alike) in the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme. Cohen’s SAC Capital Investors, which he built, copped to five counts of insider trading in 2013 and ponied up a $1.2 billion fine. Though Cohen himself wasn’t accused of wrongdoing, SAC Capital was barred from outside investments from there forward.

Cohen merely picked himself up, dusted off, and created Point72 Ventures three years ago and Cohen Private Ventures, which he says will manage his majority Mets stake if the deal is done. The Wilpons are still trying to get out from under the Madoff mess, which only began for them when they thought investing with Madoff would help them with things like the botched Bobby Bonilla deal. (Which the Mets must pay through 2035 at $1 million a year, for a player who’s been retired almost two decades.)

“Madoff ‘made’ them boatloads of money that never existed and they invested it in places they’re still trying to pay back (like their team *cough Bonilla* and television station),” writes Sarah Valenzuela of the New York Daily News. “By 2015, they were paying off about $100M/year to get to the principal amount of their debts, plus the cost of the recently built Citi Field.”

Fred and son Jeff Wilpon have been known as Steinbrennerian meddlers (George, not Hal) without much of anything resembling Steinbrennerian results after they wrested the team’s full ownership from co-owner Nelson Doubleday in 2002. And as often as not the meddlings were destructive enough to be considered human neglect.

The elder Wilpon once forced Hall of Fame pitcher Pedro Martinez to pitch a meaningless game for the box office in 2006 despite a toe injury; it may have aggravated shoulder issues, invited 2007 season-losing surgery, and limited Martinez in 2008, to the point where he returned to the Red Sox after his deal expired to retire as a Red Sox.

When Doubleday wanted in the worst way possible to bring Hall of Famer Mike Piazza to the Mets in 1998, Wilpon actually tried to thwart the deal. Today Piazza’s Hall of Fame plaque shows his head under a Mets cap. Way to call ’em, Fred. Meanwhile, for every Carlos Delgado, Carlos Beltran, and Johan Santana acquisition there were Bonilla’s second Mets deal and acquisitions of aging, past-prime, or completely lost players almost too numerous to mention.

Wilpon pere and Wilpon fils have also been renowned for blocking signings and deals their baseball brain trusts have recommended strongly enough to them while signing off on signings and deals described as dubious most charitably.

And no managerial firing in the Steinbrenner Yankees’ history was half as despicable as the manner in which Wilpon ordered the executions of Willie Randolph, his pitching coach Rick Peterson, and his first base coach Tom Nieto in 2008—after the team traveled to Anaheim and won the first game of the road trip. And after midnight while they were at it.

But before my fellow Met fans drink too deep in celebrating the advent of the Cohen era, they may do wise to ponder the Wednesday evening caution from MLB Trade Rumours‘s Steve Adams:

Any ownership-level shakeup, of course, can have payroll implications for a team, but there’s no immediate indication that the Mets will increase spending in the near future. To the contrary, multiple reports this week have indicated that the Mets may need to move some undesirable contracts before spending further this winter — a reality that has [urlhttps://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/the-mets-payroll-predicament.html]long since been apparent[/url] to any who’ve closely examined the team’s payroll outlook. As for what would happen with regard to team payroll down the line, that can’t be known at this time, but it’s worth highlighting that the Bloomberg Billionaire Index lists Cohen’s net worth at a staggering $9.2 billion.

Today’s announcement seemingly puts a finite window on the Wilpons’ rein atop the organization and, as ESPN’s Buster Olney points out (

Twitter link), perhaps explains why the club has been so focused on winning as soon as possible and making splashy moves toward that end.

That’s a somewhat extensive way of reminding Met fans—since the day they were born and otherwise—how wise it is to cut the cards no matter how deep you trust Mom.

Cohen grew up on Long Island in Great Neck, a well-to-do place in Nassau County familiar to me mostly as the home of a classic opulent wedding-and-bar-mitzvah semi-factory. Leonard’s of Great Neck, now Leonard’s Palazzo, is known to television fans as the joint where Johnny Sack asked Tony Soprano to perform a hit before Sack was hauled from his daughter’s wedding back to prison, in season six, episode five.

Take that, Mr. Cohen: After my parents moved us from the north Bronx, I finished growing up (har, har) in Long Beach, an island strip across a channel in southern Nassau which had a little bit of every economic strata, a lot of beach and boardwalk, and a home for Don Vito Corleone in The Godfather, from which son and heir Michael plotted and delivered the execution of the heads of the Five Families.

My mob’s better than your mob. #LFGM.
----------------
@Polly Ticks
@AmericanaPrime
@AllThatJazzZ
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@The Ghost
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline dfwgator

Re: The Mets, under new ownership?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 07:33:55 pm »
He should have read this first:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 07:39:35 pm »
He should have read this first:

@dfwgator
He's probably read a lot more extensively than that, if he's the same kind of Met fan I've been.

Besides, who doesn't love a challenge? And can there be many challenges in baseball more powerful than reviving the Mess (er, Mets)?  wink777

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 07:41:40 pm »
The Mets did get Jake Marisnick from the Astros today.
They traded a left handed pitcher named Blake Taylor and an outfielder named Kenedy Corona.

Considering the Astros had already traded away a player named Beer, I guess they felt they needed a Corona.......

You and fellow Mets fans will have a lot of fun watching Marisnick patrolling the outfield.
He's a great defensive player.
Unfortunately, he is now known for his incident at home plate with Jonathan Lucroy during the season, as we've discussed for a long while.

Cost cutting move for the Astros.
They can use Miles Straw in the Marisnick role for less money.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 08:12:49 pm »
This cannot be anything but good news for long-suffering Met fans. For a long time now, it has seemed as though the Wilpons' hands could not be pried off of the franchise, even with the Jaws of Life. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 08:25:42 pm »
The Mets did get Jake Marisnick from the Astros today.
They traded a left handed pitcher named Blake Taylor and an outfielder named Kenedy Corona.

Considering the Astros had already traded away a player named Beer, I guess they felt they needed a Corona.......

You and fellow Mets fans will have a lot of fun watching Marisnick patrolling the outfield.
He's a great defensive player.
@GrouchoTex
Great defender but not so great a hitter. If the Mets are smart they can start someone else in CF (Jeff McNeil, who hits a ton, for example) and bring Marisnick in the way the Astros liked to do, late game defensive strength. (And if McNeil started, he's versatile enough to be moved around in a double switch.)

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 10:45:04 pm »
@EasyAce

Right, if Marisnick could ever hit .250 or better for a year, he'd probably be a starter somewhere.
He just couldn't quite get there.
With his speed, you would think he might have been able to get a few more infield hits.
.227 lifetime.

He is mainly a defensive replacement/pinch runner, but he is that, and has had some highlight reel performances in the outfield.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 12:25:38 am »
@EasyAce

Right, if Marisnick could ever hit .250 or better for a year, he'd probably be a starter somewhere.
He just couldn't quite get there.
With his speed, you would think he might have been able to get a few more infield hits.
.227 lifetime.

He is mainly a defensive replacement/pinch runner, but he is that, and has had some highlight reel performances in the outfield.
@GrouchoTex
Quote from Jake Marisnick when a reporter reached him after he learned of the trade: The vibe around the Mets when we were watching them last year from Houston, they looked like they were playing with some hunger and some passion. I'm excited to come in and add to that.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 04:45:09 am »
I can't help but wonder how players like going from a covered ballpark to an open-air one. I'd be so spoiled to have played my home games in a consistent environment for 5 years.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 01:16:59 pm »
@GrouchoTex
Quote from Jake Marisnick when a reporter reached him after he learned of the trade: The vibe around the Mets when we were watching them last year from Houston, they looked like they were playing with some hunger and some passion. I'm excited to come in and add to that.

@EasyAce

I read that quote yesterday, which is sounds just like something Jake would say.
The collision with Lucroy aside, Jake is actually one of the good guys in the sport.
(..On the sunny side of the street...)

Add to this that he will be reunited with manager Carlos Beltran, who basically acted as a coach and a mentor to the Astros during their 2017 World Series run.
This could be a good move for Marisnick, if he can bring his average up.
I've always rooted for the guy to do well.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 01:32:48 pm »
I can't help but wonder how players like going from a covered ballpark to an open-air one. I'd be so spoiled to have played my home games in a consistent environment for 5 years.

I was wondering how many teams with closed stadiums actually won the world series.

Obviously, our Astros did.
The Blue Jays.
The Twins, who no longer play indoors.
Tampa Bay Rays.
Arizona Diamondbacks.

Who's left indoors that haven't won a World Series?

Miami Marlins, who have won, but they played outdoors then.
Seattle Mariners.
Milwaukee Brewers.

The Rangers will be indoors next year.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 04:34:35 pm »
I was wondering how many teams with closed stadiums actually won the world series.

Obviously, our Astros did.
The Blue Jays.
The Twins, who no longer play indoors.
Tampa Bay Rays.
Arizona Diamondbacks.

Who's left indoors that haven't won a World Series?

Miami Marlins, who have won, but they played outdoors then.
Seattle Mariners.
Milwaukee Brewers.

So is your conclusion that open-air ballparks might be operating under a disadvantage? That would be the case for me, but I'm no athlete.

I watched this year as our 'Stros played in some ovens -- not the least of which was Globe Life Park. I could see it wasn't only our guys who were suffering in the heat. The Rangers were, too, of course, but let's not forget the fans. My cousin -- a huge baseball fan -- lives in North Texas and laments that she and her husband and/or church group can't even consider attending a game.

The Rangers will be indoors next year.

It has got to get better for the the team. It's probably too late for my cousin as they're getting up in years, but she's sad about what could have been. BTW, the last time I saw a walk-through, GLF bore a striking similarity to MMP. Did you notice?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 05:24:48 pm »

@AllThatJazzZ

So is your conclusion that open-air ballparks might be operating under a disadvantage? That would be the case for me, but I'm no athlete.

No, not necessarily.
6 World series have been won by indoor teams, but that has been since 1987, when the Twins were the first indoor team to do it.
That is the last 32 years, 6 in 32 years.

BTW, the last time I saw a walk-through, GLF bore a striking similarity to MMP. Did you notice?

LOL, yep. Maybe we should call it Minute Maid north?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 05:52:39 pm »
Add to this that he will be reunited with manager Carlos Beltran, who basically acted as a coach and a mentor to the Astros during their 2017 World Series run.
This could be a good move for Marisnick, if he can bring his average up.
I've always rooted for the guy to do well.
@GrouchoTex
Marisnick will have another helping hand with the Mets: Chili Davis, one of the better hitting coaches in the game, especially with players who listen to him. Davis's forte seems to be keeping you within what you can do, not what you ought to do, and he could be a big key in improving the flaw that keeps Marisnick from being a good hitter: he's not the most disciplined hitter at the plate, he's taken very few walks, and despite that he often takes hittable pitches and tries to hit the unhittable. Davis is excellent at getting hitters to break those habits. Between Beltran and Davis, Marisnick---already a solid defender---could find things in his bat he never knew were there.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 06:15:53 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

I suspect that even with the climate control changes, a lot of how they do going from one to the other park also depends on the dimensions of the playing field. The Astrodome was known as a hitter's nightmare often as not; in fact, Hall of Famer Joe Morgan saw a single-season spike in his stats between his final year in the Astrodome during his original Astro tenure and his first year in Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium. That's just one example.

Another is the late Jim Bouton, in the season about which he wrote Ball Four: he opened the season with the expansion Seattle Pilots, who played in a bandbox called Sick's Stadium. With the Pilots, where he became a full-time knuckleballer (he'd previously experimented with the pitch when his arm and shoulder began barking at him as a Yankee), Bouton's fielding-independent pitching rate (that's kind of your ERA when the fielders behind you are taken out of the equation) was 4.03. Bouton was traded to the Astros for a pair of no-names (well, Bouton had mad fun with one of them, Dooley Womack, a former Yankee teammate) that August . . . and with the Astros his FIP went down to 2.22. That should tell you, considering his 4.11 ERA as a 1969 Astro, that he pitched in some terrible luck with those Astros, but Bouton did have a far-improved performance in the pitchers' park the Astrodome usually was.

When the Twins moved out of outdoor Metropolitan Stadium into the Metrodome, they went from hitting .240 as a team in 1981 (Metropolitan Stadium) to hitting .257 in Year One of the Metrodome. And both those parks were considered delicious hitters' parks. But the major factor in the Twins' hitting spike between the two parks wasn't the climate but the arrival of two  keys to their 1987 World Series triumph, Kent Hrbek and Tom Brunansky. (Hall of Famer Kirby Puckett didn't arrive until 1984.)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 07:53:03 pm »
I wish the Mets still played in Shea stadium
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 07:57:09 pm »
I wish the Mets still played in Shea stadium
@Gefn
I miss the old tub, too, having spent numerous days and evenings there myself, but I have to admit Citi Field is on my bucket list. (I haven't lived in New York since 1994; I haven't been back there since 2000, when the man who shot my brother to death went on trial and I had the sad pleasure of seeing the trial and seeing him convicted of manslaughter, to the tune of 25 years no parole.)